Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to fit my LS1 and 4L60e combo in my 81. The engine and transmission came from a 2004 Holden Commodore (yeap I'm Australian) and the engine has the same oil pan as what the 2004 GTO has.

I bought a set of mount adapter plates from Josh at Custom Image and was planning to mount the engine on the position that places it 1" back.

After looking at the oil pan and comparing it to pictures I have seen of the F-body pan everyone else seems to use I am worried that it won't clear the steering. I also plan to use a Steeroids rack and pinion setup.

So I need opinions on whether I am going to have clearance issues and if so possible solutions.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Are you doing them at the same time?

I've replaced a stock steering system with a Steeroids rack and it did afford us a bit more oil pan room. Not really clearance, but certainly more of an ability to drop the pan with the steering in place.

With stock steering, the steering has to be dropped to get the pan off. With the Steeroids, I'm fairly certain the pan is more easily accessed.

I think this gives you some options with the GTO / Commodore engine. Install the Steeroids, and then drop in the engine. If it interferes, remove the pan and order an F-body pan. Don't know for sure but you should be able to swap it with the Steeroids in place and installed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If everything fits with the stock steering still installed should I be ok with the rack and pinion? I ask because I am probably going to test fit the engine next weekend and don't yet have my steering kit.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
If everything fits with the stock steering still installed should I be ok with the rack and pinion? I ask because I am probably going to test fit the engine next weekend and don't yet have my steering kit.

I cannot speak for the GTO pan on stock steering. I can just say that there is more access to the pan after the Steeroids swap.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rough measuring up that I did suggests that the two fins on the back of the pan will be in the way I think.

After I test fit the engine next weekend I will post so photos of the clearance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I will need a F-body pan. The F-body has a rear sump right? Ok found a post on LS1tech with all the part numbers for the swap but where is a good cheap place to order them from?

I wasn't going to touch my engine at all before I put it in the car but now that I am changing the sump is there any other seals I should order and replace whilst I am at it?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ok, I will need a F-body pan. The F-body has a rear sump right? Ok found a post on LS1tech with all the part numbers for the swap but where is a good cheap place to order them from?

I wasn't going to touch my engine at all before I put it in the car but now that I am changing the sump is there any other seals I should order and replace whilst I am at it?
Hi there,I just started my conversion on a 77vette with a LS1/4L60 and got a F,body sump kit from a store in Melbourne ...BUT with the aussie dollar like it is the best place is Summt or Jegs , you,ll need a f,body sump kit which includes the oil pick up with O ring and a new pan gasket , new dipstick and mount tube . Before you put new sump make sure to knock the plug out the engine block as the F Body sump doesnt have the hole for the dipstick as the Commodore one does. As far other seals depends on what state the motors in I spose.

Bazz

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi BAZZA, good to see you on here:thumbsup:is that the blue vet your ls1 is going into?
As for what else to change on a ls1 i have found the most common leak in the commodores is the water pump gaskets,easy to change even in the car! Use longlife red coolant in it.:D

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
depending on miles you may want to replace the rear main seal, I didnt even know mine was leaking until I had it all together in the car with the tranny mounted to it.

its cheep insurence

·
Registered
391 Posts
Pretty sure a Corvette "bat-wing" pan will work in your application also IF you're using Steeroids rack and pinion. Did on mine and my engine is probably a bit farther forward then where Josh's adapter plates will put your engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts