Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- I had a weird "chingling" sound for 2 weeks ONLY when hitting bumps in the road. I narrowed it down to the passenger side rear wheel by using a rubber mallett, and smacked the wheel, you could hear it... but not as loud as when I was hitting bumps.

- I thought it was the rear caliper/pads, but even when I was pressing on the brakes, it made the same identical sound when I hit bumps, no change. So, I ruled that out.

- It is was a very light aluminum-like sound... almost like if you had a handful of quarters and were jingling them around.... like a bell you'd attach to your cats collar. But louder.

- Last night I was going for a cruise and it sounded like it was getting worse, so I took it home to the garage with plans to pull the wheel off this morning.

- On my way home I heard a "WHACK" at about 40mph. Sounded like I tossed a stone into the rear wheel-well. No biggie, it happens.

BUT, the chinging sound stopped COMPLETELY! Almost like whatever it was went flying!

What do you think it could have been? That car is perfect now.:huh:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
maybe make sure all the caliper bolts are still there.only thing i can think of,is maybe something(smashed coke can?) was stuck on ,around,or between the wheel and caliper.loose wheel and you finally launched it?i can help cringing thinking it was a caliper bolt.like you said check it out anyway.what kind of exhaust do you have?good luck:smokin:
at first i thought this thread was going to be about the N.Y. motorcycle club'chingalings'

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hawaii-5-lo said:
maybe make sure all the caliper bolts are still there.only thing i can think of,is maybe something(smashed coke can?) was stuck on ,around,or between the wheel and caliper.loose wheel and you finally launched it?i can help cringing thinking it was a caliper bolt.like you said check it out anyway.what kind of exhaust do you have?good luck:smokin:
at first i thought this thread was going to be about the N.Y. motorcycle club'chingalings'
Wheel weights are there.

Both caliper bolts are there.
:huh:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
probably not related but just tossing out ideas,i gutted my cats a while back,no biggy,about 3 weeks later i would hear marbles in a coffee can sound,then it was sort of a chingaling sound,not related to rpms.rattles.turns out i left a couple chunks of dead cat that could'nt pass there way thru the rear outlet of the cats,bouncing around in there like a bunch of mad mexican jumping beans.
is all your exhaust hangers still there?:smokin:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Sounds like you had something caught in your tire or wheel and it just came loose and flew out. Check everything out, including the half shafts. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
hmm.. I was just skimming through.. I can't say with out checking it out but if your car has the low tire pressure warning system ltpws or what ever maybe one of the sensors broke free from the rim that is just a guess.. without looking at it... or hearing it myself..
-Rick

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,554 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
i gutted my cats a while back.................turns out i left a couple chunks of dead cat that could'nt pass there way thru the rear outlet of the cats,bouncing around in there
Big Law Man will be proud of you but isn't is messy gutting a cat?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
:surprised swing arm bolt, shock mount, something went loose.

I'd block that baby up and pull the wheel and look around it again very carefully,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts