Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting the search for C3 (1969) parts. Looked on Ebay for chrome bumpers front and rear and some are OEM and some imported. Does anyone know or have the imported bumpers and are they good quality? They are quite a bit cheaper although it almost seems wrong to put imported parts on a Vette.:lookinup:

What do you C3 guys suggest?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
A lot of folks do not like foreign made parts and there have been complaints of off shore bumpers fitting poorly.

NOS/OEM/Good Used is usually best when you can find them and afford them.

Do you need bumpers? Might be better all around to have your originals rechromed.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have fought with a couple of sets of replacment bumpers on a 64 and 66 vette. Nothing fit up correctly! I finally reworked the side mountings on the fenders to fit the bumpers, rather than try to force the bumpers into submission. Metal always wins vs fiberglass. I know it is expensive, but rechroming your original bumpers will make it easier to refit when things are done. The plating process does involve some heat (grinding, sanding,buffing) so there is a chance of some warpage. mounting hole sizes get reduced as the metal layers are deposited, so some sizing may be needed. I learned the replating lessons restoring a 55 bel-air. I swear there is more metal in the ft & rear bumpers on that car, than there is in a new Aveo!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I don't know about ebay vendors, but I've dealt with a lot of the mail order Corvette companies (like the ones on the left), and any time there has been a quality problem they refunded the money. Usually, they will pay shipping on the return.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately the 69 we bought has no bumpers whatsoever.

I may try to go the original OEM (brand new) route and just pay alot more. I really want them to fit and look good. I was just curious what you guys thought about the import bumpers? I wonder where they are imported from.:huh:

I guess they could always be returned if bought from a reputable place.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I have found that these older cars were more hand built than the assembly line tolerances we are used to today. They had tolerances but lose ones and quality control meant the bumper did not fall off when when they hit the bump going out the door of the factory.

I would suggest locating used OEM parts, do what is needed to make them fit and line up. then have them rechromed at the final paint stage.

It will save tons of frustration threw the project.

Just one old mans opinion...

By all means have fun and the cheapest way is not always the easiest or the most enjoyable.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
:agree:

The cheap foreign made stuff will just cost you in the long run when you have to replace it.

China is the new Japan (from the 60's)! Remember when everything out of Japan was cheaply made crap? I avoid anything "made in China".

·
Registered
855 Posts
Killer (Kaos) had Paragon replacement bumpers on it from 2002 till 2010. They held up great for the past 8 years considering the salt air here in Florida. I had all the bumpers completely rechromed by Paul's chrome shop for $1,500 but they come with a life time warranty so that is the last chrome check I ever have to write.

A had a friend by the cheap chinese ones from Ecklers and within 6 months they all were rust spotted everywhere. Looked like a bunch of tiny red dots all over the entire bumpers.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Killer (Kaos) had Paragon replacement bumpers on it from 2002 till 2010. They held up great for the past 8 years considering the salt air here in Florida. I had all the bumpers completely rechromed by Paul's chrome shop for $1,500 but they come with a life time warranty so that is the last chrome check I ever have to write.

A had a friend by the cheap chinese ones from Ecklers and within 6 months they all were rust spotted everywhere. Looked like a bunch of tiny red dots all over the entire bumpers.
Thank you, that's the stuff I wanted to know.:thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone as well, I'm very new to this older Corvette parts buying thang.;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Buy used bumpers and have them re-chromed. I looked into new bumpers for my '71 and no one would even claim the new ones fit. The fronts are the worst, the new ones (both Chinese and USA) are too wide and the side pieces stick out away from the body.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Buy used bumpers and have them re-chromed. I looked into new bumpers for my '71 and no one would even claim the new ones fit. The fronts are the worst, the new ones (both Chinese and USA) are too wide and the side pieces stick out away from the body.
That's actually the route I'm going thanks to another member here.:thumbsup: I hear fit can be a real pain on these bumpers, wish us luck.;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
:agree:

The cheap foreign made stuff will just cost you in the long run when you have to replace it.

China is the new Japan (from the 60's)! Remember when everything out of Japan was cheaply made crap? I avoid anything "made in China".
i am with you on this one if i can help it i leave the chinese crap behind unless its roast duck fried rice with plum sauce
herriot

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sometimes the problem is the fitter.
;)

Purchase the 69 assembly instruction manual (AIM). It has diagrams and notes of the factory installation of the bumpers.

:thumbsup:
Will do Mike.;)

Thanks again everyone for all the info, it really does help. This way when I'm talking cars to my Husband,:thumbsup: it sounds like I actually have a clue.:laughing:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts