Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

I'm going through my electrical system to be sure that everything is in order before integrating the PCM into the system. I'm redoing all the ground wires I can find, replaced both battery cables, etc.

There are some wires in the engine compartment (namely ones that come off the horn relay to the starter, alternator etc.) that I want to completely replace.

I noticed a couple of the wires have "fuse links" up at the horn relay... I've replaced those and crimped fuse links onto the new wires.

There is one red wire (10 awg.) that comes off the starter and has another wire attached to it with two black rubber cylinders. SEE PICTURE.

Are these fuse links?

I have a roll of 12 awg fuse link wire (which I think is supposed to melt when too much current hits it to avoid damage to the system) to replace them with, but I want to know if that's what they are or if the rubber cylinders are just protecting splices from heat in the engine compartment since this wire runs close to the motor.

As for the Alternator...
I'm putting in an LT1 from a 97 Camaro and using a stock alternator... the regulator plug on the stock unit has three wires coming off it and the original plug from the original motor's alternator only had two... has anyone wired up a new alternator and if so, where do you connect that third wire... I'm assuming the other two wires go to where the original wires hook up to the old stock alternator.

THANKS!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
The fusible link is specific, and should be replaced with a factory replacement. The wire after the rubber cylinder is what fries. I highly recommend getting proper fusible links.

The alternator wiring is easy. Here's a diagram. If you do not have a GEN light in your dash...which I doubt you do, you'll need a Napa plug adapter that has a built in resistor. The alternator needs that resistance to operate properly.

Napa Part # EC82

1 - 3 of 3 Posts