Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is a write up in Sunday's Chicago tribune in the Transportation section on the new GTO. It clearly states that the GTO uses the Corvette engine and Corvette based 6 speed as the only option. 0-60 in 5.3.
No sunroof or navigation or dvd, because those are not in the spirit of performance!
I found the most interesting part of the article the fact that there is a 1K GAS GUZZLER TAX!:surprised , only with the automatic tranny!
There will be another article on the car this Thursday in the Cars section of the paper.
Chicago tribune can be read on line but you have to "register" so I can't post a direct link.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/search/chi_all.jsp?Query=GTO

When you click on the top story it will ask you to login or register

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
stilcrazee said:
There is a write up in Sunday's Chicago tribune in the Transportation section on the new GTO. It clearly states that the GTO uses the Corvette engine and Corvette based 6 speed as the only option. 0-60 in 5.3.
No sunroof or navigation or dvd, because those are not in the spirit of performance!
I found the most interesting part of the article the fact that there is a 1K GAS GUZZLER TAX!:surprised , only with the automatic tranny!
There will be another article on the car this Thursday in the Cars section of the paper.
Chicago tribune can be read on line but you have to "register" so I can't post a direct link.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/search/chi_all.jsp?Query=GTO

When you click on the top story it will ask you to login or register
Is it using the LS1 or the C6 LS2?

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
They don't specify by name but the article states 5.7, 350 hp..so me thinks LS1, do you concur doctor?

Punk Boy's post about SEMA says alot more than the article I referenced...I wonder if the Thursday story will tell more about the engine.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
everything i've read says that it will be using the LS1 at least for the first year...i can't see GM using the LS1 after the corvette moves to the LS2...so the second year GTO may have the LS2...but i'm not sure if Holden uses the LS1 in there cars

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Yes, it is the LS1. You know, that car is not to shabby. It'd be a nice backup car if you have a C5. Granted it's a bit heavier, but you could strap on a magnacharger on the GTO and kick some ass.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VPRSNAK said:
I thought they did away with the gas guzzler tax. :huh:

Me too but it's in the paper and the papers are always right! right??:lookinup:

:rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Something that caught my eye when I was reading the AutoWeek article was the torque figure. The stock LS1 in the C5 makes 350 lb-ft, correct? Well the GTO's LS1 makes 365 lb-ft. I'm surprised GM would allow it to have more torque and equivalent hp. In my mind that can only mean a good bump in C6 torque and horsepower figures.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
TreCool626 said:
Something that caught my eye when I was reading the AutoWeek article was the torque figure. The stock LS1 in the C5 makes 350 lb-ft, correct? Well the GTO's LS1 makes 365 lb-ft. I'm surprised GM would allow it to have more torque and equivalent hp. In my mind that can only mean a good bump in C6 torque and horsepower figures.
good eye...i think they don't care as much about torque...you and me and the people on the this forum know what torque does but the alot of people have not concept of it...all they want to see is the HP figures

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Punk Boy said:
good eye...i think they don't care as much about torque...you and me and the people on the this forum know what torque does but the alot of people have not concept of it...all they want to see is the HP figures
Yeah you're probably right on that one.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have posted elsewhere about my buddy at GM. He told me tha this as we may or may not know is a product of Holden/Manaro (?)
not sure of spelling of the name, of Austrailia. He says they are way more aggressive with performance stuff down there than GM is here. That may explain the tq difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts