Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to share a funny experience I had at the gas station this weekend. I was driving my 70 Vette around town, just enjoying the beautiful weather, decided to stop and fill er up.. Well 2 guys and one girl come over to me and strike up a conversation. They were driving a bmw 3, so they guess they knew everything about vettes... :laughing::laughing:.. Here's what the conversation went like..

Guy1 - Hey thats a nice corvette, what year is it?
Me - 1970 :)
Guy2 - It's really nice man.. great color, we heard you drive it in. It's a Stingray right ?
Guy1 - Are the sidepipes stock?
Girl - They're shiny !
Me - Yeah, well many folks in the 70s would put pipes like this on their vettes, but for this model it didnt come like that from the factory.
Guy1 - I wanted to ask you, why it idles so fast.
Me - ?? whats wrong with the idle ? (I just had the idle set a month ago.)
Guy1 - Just that it idles very fast, Ive heard muscle cars before, they idle more rhythmically and slower. Just saying..
Me - Oh no, that's how it's supposed to sound. Have you heard a classic corvette idle before?
Guy1 - Not really, but i'm just sayin. It's way too fast and it knocks a bit..
Me - That's the Cam noise. This has a 383 motor with a modded cam.
Guy1 - oh ok (nods and smiles)
Guy2 - My dad has a classic pickup, it's pretty badass!
Me - What is it?
Guy2 - It's a 1992 Chevy S10. It's Badass...
(I was dying not to laugh, because he said it with a straight face. Wanted to tell him that a 90's S-10 is not a classic, but kept my mouth shut)
Girl - Can I take a picture with it?
Me - Sure! :)
(Girl stands next to the driver side and drapes herself on the T-top :laughing:. Guy 2 takes a couple pics with his Cameraphone)
Guy2 - Thanks man..
Me - No problem guys.. have a great day..

They all say bye and compliment the car once more and then I left.. The girl was not hot or anything (before you ask), but she was sort of plain pretty. They were all probably in their late teens or early 20s. Don't you feel great when people take the time to say Hi and talk to you about your Vette? Someone or the other always asks about it at gas stations..

What Gas station experiences have you guys had?
:cheers:

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
:laughing: Funny..

I had the conversation similar to yours, about RDZEPLN being lowered and that it must scrape on everything, and how come I lowered it ? I never seem to win out in these gas station talks.
:lookinup:

ZEP

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have two shoe box Chevys both '57s A Bel Air sedan and a Nomad both look stock but are not.

I never fails when I'm filling up someone will come over and tell me how their dad or brother, uncle old friend or even themselves had one just like it always makes me smile.:cheers:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
i have learned to never argue with idiots about my car....they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ive always wanted a 55 nomad....

·
Registered
443 Posts
I got out of my car the other day and two young guys told me what a nice car and could they take pictures. Of course I agreed. I wanted to respond so I surveyed their rides and said ... nice skateboards!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Mine is not a classic, and it's totally stock except for the mild2wild switch. That tiny mod is the key to gas station conversations. You can't pull up under the gas station carport without every eye looking your way. The youngest and bravest usually come over to admire and shoot the breeze. One of the small perks that comes with Vette ownership. :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
My favorite gas station story ... I pulled my '96 Grand Sport up to the pump and got out... just as a guy was getting in his minivan with his obviously pregnant wife.

He looked at the Corvette, then looked at me and said simply, "I really hate you."

He started his minivan and left. :laughing:

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
My favorite gas station story ... I pulled my '96 Grand Sport up to the pump and got out... just as a guy was getting in his minivan with his obviously pregnant wife.

He looked at the Corvette, then looked at me and said simply, "I really hate you."

:rolling: Perfect...

·
Registered
25,253 Posts

That's because by that point in her pregnancy, the wife was blaming it all on him and telling him how much she hated him for getting her that way. :laughing:

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
That's because by that point in her pregnancy, the wife was blaming it all on him and telling him how much she hated him for getting her that way. :laughing:
On second thought, maybe he recognized Patrick..:spanked:

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Had plenty of small conversations with people at different places. Really cool how these cars just get people talking.

I pulled into a restuarant right in front of the door and rolled down the headlights...some lil kid grabbed his mom's hand and said "MOM, when can we get a cool car like THAT??!!" I laughed and apologized to her as I walked in.

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had plenty of small conversations with people at different places. Really cool how these cars just get people talking.

I pulled into a restuarant right in front of the door and rolled down the headlights...some lil kid grabbed his mom's hand and said "MOM, when can we get a cool car like THAT??!!" I laughed and apologized to her as I walked in.
Why did you Apologize? :laughing::laughing:

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Most gas station conversations that start with "I really like your car" usually end with "I've got a unique business opportunity for you. There's this new energy drink..."

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 15 yr old daughter and we have a great relationship we like to tease each other alot but one thing she is in hard core denial of is that her dad is or ever was anything but simply a DAD....this happened and I thought it was halarious!

we were about to leave the gas station when a SUV pulls up on my side beside us and 2 young girls are stareing out the windows at the car ..

Me: wow those chicks are really checking out my car!
Daughter : ..stares out the passenger side window as if she didnt hear me ..

Me: geez they should take a picture they are really diggin me and this car...i think your crimpin my style here kid.
Daughter: still stares out without expression or comment I think I heard a small sigh..

Me: aww geez there pointing now ..this is kinda wierd with you here..
Daughter : still no expression wont turn around ..shes firmly in her happy place, somewhere far away...

Me: Man they are kinda young tho ..im gonna guess 8-10yrs old
Daughter: finally cracks a smile ,turns and looks to the SUV to see 2 small kids going nutz pointing and smiling at the car..she looks at me with a big grin punches me in the shoulder and says ....i hate you so much when you do crap like that ! all I could think of is "THIS IS NOT HAPPENING TO ME " :smack

Kids cant help but love them ...cant keep from tormenting them :rolling:

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have a 15 yr old daughter and we have a great relationship we like to tease each other alot but one thing she is in hard core denial of is that her dad is or ever was anything but simply a DAD....this happened and I thought it was halarious!

we were about to leave the gas station when a SUV pulls up on my side beside us and 2 young girls are stareing out the windows at the car ..

Me: wow those chicks are really checking out my car!
Daughter : ..stares out the passenger side window as if she didnt hear me ..

Me: geez they should take a picture they are really diggin me and this car...i think your crimpin my style here kid.
Daughter: still stares out without expression or comment I think I heard a small sigh..

Me: aww geez there pointing now ..this is kinda wierd with you here..
Daughter : still no expression wont turn around ..shes firmly in her happy place, somewhere far away...

Me: Man they are kinda young tho ..im gonna guess 8-10yrs old
Daughter: finally cracks a smile ,turns and looks to the SUV to see 2 small kids going nutz pointing and smiling at the car..she looks at me with a big grin punches me in the shoulder and says ....i hate you so much when you do crap like that ! all I could think of is "THIS IS NOT HAPPENING TO ME " :smack

Kids cant help but love them ...cant keep from tormenting them :rolling:

Daughters are so cool, nothing against sons but for me personally it could not be more perfect, I have a simular relationship with my daugther all though she is now 27, but still have that punch to the arm or wink to an inside joke.

She still loves riding in my rides and wonders at the comments that come with it:cheers: Enjoy now man!!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I try to avoid gas station conversations, I don't make eye contact and kind of
carry an attitude that I don't want to be bothered, but I still get bothered by idiots,
but every now and then I will find someone who has something intelligent
to say, those are few and far between.

I hate that question, IS THAT A STINGRAY? Well thats what it says on the fender.:rolleyes:

And because I have L48 badges on the hood, previous owner installed them,
I have had people ask, Is that a real L48?
Yes it is. WOW!
What idiots, If you have no clue, why speak. This is why I don't make
eye contact at the gas station, It encourages people to speak.

Riggs.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
My best story is only eye contact...

About 22 years ago a shift supervisor told me I wasn't going to make it much longer in the power industry if he had anything to do with it. I avoided him and his minions as much as possible after that comment. He eventually got fired for ethics violations.

Years later and shortly after I purchased my Vette I was filling up at the station when I saw the ex supervisor driving up in his Korean car. We made eye contact and I know he recognized me; the slumping exhale and his eyes looking down and left said it all to me as he kept driving through and back on the road.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was at Autozone today dropping off some used motor oil (didn't buy it there but is convenient for the recycle).

Anyway, guys pulls behind me and asks what year.

I say '75.

He says he noticed that it had 80-82 rear bumpers (so I know he knows Corvettes).

Asks me where I got it painted and his kid (~5 year old boy) was climbing over his dad for a look. :thumbsup:

Just a good fun day.

·
Registered
470 Posts
What idiots, If you have no clue, why speak. This is why I don't make
eye contact at the gas station, It encourages people to speak.

Riggs.

That's why I go to the gas station with my a jerrican in my TOYOTA, then fill the vette up at home :laughing:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts