Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having intermittent problems at cold start getting the shifter to shift out of park. It has been steadily getting worse as the ambient temparatures get cooler. After working up the courage to tear into the shifter. I dis-assembled the forward console trim with a 10mm socket and 15 torx. Since the shifter wouldnt move, I worked the leather boot away from the rear section of the shifter assy to access the BTSI-brake transmission shift interlock solenoid- so I could manually release the lock and move the shift lever back. The console trim cannot be removed with the shifter in park, unless you remove the knob (which would have been easier if I had figured out how to take it off the shifter) To remove shifter knob: prise the black cap off of the shifter release button, you will see a smaller black button with a white rectangular center-drpress the outer black section so the white piece sticks up from the shift button. Rotate the white button lock 1/4 turn and wiggle ft/back gently as you pull up to remove the lock. The black button will pop out along with the spring. To finish removing the shift knob, pull the retainer clip on the front lower section of the shift knob, and remove the knob!
I called to get a replacement solenoid only to find I have to replace the entire shifter assy (WHICH IS ON INTERGLACTIC BACK ORDER). I also have to replace the shift cable that I broke in my enthusiasm to remove the shifter. I guess I should have read the instructions...
I'll update as soon as I get further into the job, figured I'd warn anyone who is having a similar issue. I am hoping I can setup a bypass or assist to the BTSI so we dont have to replace the entire shifter. I;ll post pix and instructions If it works!

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Man, you should have asked first. I would have posted the instructions. A search might have sent you to my DIY. :lookinup:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was worried they might revoke my MAN CARD if I read the instructions...I dove in without looking and got 'experience'.
Experience: what you get 5 seconds after you need it.
I will be replacing a leaky seal on the left rear output shaft while I have things torn apart. Thank you Junkman for the instructions. Where is the recipie for the Junkman special dagwood pizza??

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
OK J Man here's one for you!

Auto shifter gear indicator??? Indicator stuck in 1st!!:huh:
The orange indicator tab is broke! Common problem, so is mine. I haven't looked into what it is going to take to fix it but I have a strange feeling that you can't buy that little orange tab. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have to replace the entire shifter assy, It is on intergalactic back order. You may be able to effect a repair using the tab off of an older car. I have to review J-MANS tips for posting pics. I have dis-assembled the shifter-maybe I can post some photos...

Junkman, Have you written up instructions for changing an auto shifter cable?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
If you have to replace the entire shifter assy, It is on intergalactic back order. You may be able to effect a repair using the tab off of an older car. I have to review J-MANS tips for posting pics. I have dis-assembled the shifter-maybe I can post some photos...

Junkman, Have you written up instructions for changing an auto shifter cable?
Not yet, and I pray I don't have to! :thud:

I can get you the service manual's instructions if you need them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got onto Alldata for the instructions, and hope I can shortcut the job. I have the shifter out and one of the retainers is (somewhat) accessible from inside the car. I'll tie a light line onto the cable and (hopefully) remove the cable from the transmission end, then pull the new one in with the line.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not so bad. No way to r&r cable without dropping exhaust & closeout plate. It took longer to get the car on jackstands than it did drop the exhaust, ETC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts