Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried doing multiple searches without any luck, so here is my problem.

I have a '95 with Automatic Transmission. Parked inside my garage on level ground. I started the car the other day and I am unable to get the shifter to move from the Park position.

The car starts up just fine, but no matter how hard I try to push the shifter knob down, it doesn't seem to want to move as much as normal.

Anyone have any idea's how I can get the car into gear (reverse so I can back out of garage) and then if I head over to my mechanic, what the heck should be be looking for in order to prevent this problem from re-occuring.

I am very untechnical, so if you reply, please talk down to me so I can understand what you are saying. Thanks so much. I want to drive my car but I can't get it out of the garage.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Check the brake light fuse. Some cars have a brake/shift interlock to keep the car from shifting without the brake depressed. A blown brake light fuse can keep this from unlocking. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Crowvet for the quick reply.

If I'm riding the brake hard and my break lights are coming on as normal, would that mean that the problem is not with the brake light fuse?

If I notice the brake light is not working, where would I find the correct fuse? I told you guys, I am not a techno when it comes to cars, computers, just about anything. :smack

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
You are putting your foot on the brake to try to put it in gear, right?

You will find the brake fuse in the fuse box.

·
Registered
170 Posts
WORST CASE : jack stand the car

undo the linkage from the transmission pan (2 bolts)

and click the shifter shaft till u get 2 (neutral)

let the car back down

then push him out of the garage

·
Registered
205 Posts
Your fuse box is at the end of the dash. Open the passenger door to get to the panel. On the inside of the panel should show what fuse is what.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are putting your foot on the brake to try to put it in gear, right?

You will find the brake fuse in the fuse box.
yes. I tried to both pump the brakes a few times and even tried to rock the car a little bit by leaning into the rear end, just to see if something had engaged, like it does when parked on a hill.

However, I haven't yet checked to see if the brake lights come on when I do have my foot on the brake. Will test to see that in the morning.

·
Registered
205 Posts
However, I haven't yet checked to see if the brake lights come on when I do have my foot on the brake. Will test to see that in the morning.
If your trying to see the brake lights by yourself it might be easier to see the glow from them at night in stead of the morning. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update. I have tested my brake lights and they are working just fine. So, I assume this means that there is no blown brake light fuse. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

I really need you guys to help me with this. Any other ideas on what would cause the shifter to not engage, and allow me to put the car in gear from the Park position?

Does anyone know if I take apart the center console revealing the "guts" of the shifter if there is anything under there that might enable me to get the shifter to engage or move?

Please, help me guys.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
not sure about your year.. but earlier C4s had interlock cables that kept the cars in park (or reverse) when the steering wheel was locked. often times with age they beak the plastic locking tabs right under the center dash infront of the shifter. if your car has this interlock you can remove the center console and disconnect it. mine was held by a cotter pin. If you don't care about this security feature and want to disable it permananetly-- I'd recommend cutting the end of the cable so it doesn't interfere with the shiter lever in the future.

another thing is does your shifter button press all the way down? meaning can you get it to move slightly out of the gear detent? if not
try removing it and seeing if you can activate the pin in the shifter with a small phillips.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
MarkMaz, I have the same issue and have not had a chance to disconnect the solenoid that locks the gear shift lever just yet. That will positively fix it but in the mean time:

Just for shits and giggles why don't you let it warm up for a while and see if it shifts into gear when it gets warm. I'm really a pretty sharp auto electrician and have no idea why, but mine will shift into gear when it gets warm. If it's cold I can't get it into gear at all. I've tried my gorilla grip and possum push on the knob to no avail. Let me know....we may be onto something here.;)

BTW,when I said "warm up for a while", is "a while' correct or is it just one word, "awhile"? Any English majors here??

·
Mean -n- Green
235 Posts
From My 95 Manual

I don't know a lot about this system because I have a 6 speed but here is the diagnostic from my 95 FSM:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the last two posts guys. It has been cold around here and eventhough my car is in the garage, who know, maybe the "warming up" of the engine might make a difference.

As for the previous post, thanks so much. I'm gonna have to copy that one and see if a buddy of mine can make heads and tails from it. I read it over a few times but have no idea where I might find the connection it calls for disconnecting, testing, reconnecting and then if necessary, replacing the brake solenoid.

One question though.... My brake lights come on as normal, so I am just wondering if a bad solenoid or switch could still be the issue if the brakes are working just fine. Anyway, its almost spring like here in the ATL after a cold, cold week, so I'm headed to the garage to try something, anything...

·
Mean -n- Green
235 Posts
Mark, The solenoid is mounted by the shifter assy. You gotta lift the console plate to access it. Maybe there is a way to manually release the shifter when in there.

Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members will chime in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MarkMaz, I have the same issue and have not had a chance to disconnect the solenoid that locks the gear shift lever just yet. That will positively fix it but in the mean time:

Just for shits and giggles why don't you let it warm up for a while and see if it shifts into gear when it gets warm . I'm really a pretty sharp auto electrician and have no idea why, but mine will shift into gear when it gets warm. If it's cold I can't get it into gear at all.

UPDATE: It appears that 1963SS was right on. It was finally warm enough that openning the garage door to let the car run for awhile wasn't going to freeze my entire house. After 15 minutes of warming up I was able to push the shift knob all the way down and walla, it shifted into gear like normal.

I just got back from a nice almost hour cruise to reacquaint myself with my car. Do you guys think I need to have the linkage or something like that looked at for an adjustment? :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Since it seems that we have EXACTLY the same problem, I'll let you know this weekend. I'm going to remove the center console and see if it's an adjustment or what. Absolutely nothing in the diagnostics in the FSM mentions this and logically, I know, the engine warming up and the shift solenoid working cannot be related. But it is. :DIt doesn't seem to be the interior temp that's the problem because mine did this in the summer when it was hot in the car. I just dunno but I'm glad it worked for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:cheers:To 1963SS...

I want to thank you again for your suggestion to allow my car to warm up. If you're having the same problem during the summer then it must mean something else is going on, perhaps we both have a tempermental solenoid that just works when it wants to.

I look forward to what you find when you take your center console apart. Actually, that is what my intention was today when I decided to also take a shot at your suggestion.

Please keep me informed about what you find out. I probably will take my car into my mechanic to have him give it a once over, and what you see/find will be helpful to him, I'm sure because this doesn't appear to be a common problem.

Have a great day, and good luck in getting yours' fixed right. :cheers:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Follow-up to the thread I started:

My problem with being able to shift car out of park hasn't re-appeared but if there is a part going bad I'd like to possibly replace it just to be safe.

Well, I called one of those large GM OEM part websites and they have told me that the "transmission Interrupt Solenoid" is no longer available by itself. Apparently it must be purchased along with the Automatic Transmission Control Lever, but there are none in stock at any of the General Motors dealerships. Huh?

So, does anyone know a great source for I guess hard to locate parts for a 1995 Vette? What would you do if you wanted to replace this part? Thanks again for all your help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts