Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My 96 C4 LT1 auto transmission fluid heats up to 230 and stays there, just had fluid and filter changed. Is this normal?

PETE

·
Super Moderator
8,550 Posts
no! its NOT normal its a bit higher than normal , normal is about 200F OR LOWER, (check you trans fluid level )and find out the reason WHY its running hotter because its sure to hurt the life span of the transmission, ID add an aux trans cooler, if you can,t find out why its running hotter than it should, check the radiator for crap in the airflow path,check the radiator fluid and make sure the fans are opperating, check the sensors, trouble codes, engine timing, etc.

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Cooling/

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TC&Product_Code=378000

have you installed a higher stall converter or differant rear gear ratio?

adding a aluminum deep sump oil pan helps as it extends down into the airflow under the car, I installed the 2 qt pan, as the 3 qt hurt the under car road clearance too much, but I still needed to install an aux trans cooler once my engine combo started making about twice the stock torque

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81691

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
grumpy whats your thoughts on me useing the A/C condenser as my trany cooler? have taken the A/C out of the car. will use the small trans cooler for the power steering when i figure out a posi for it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Check the tubing size but it will work I know of a guy who did this in his Nova and it will work if the tubs are not too small but also beware that it could cause havoc on your trans pump but shouldnt if the tubes are relitiity the same size.

·
Super Moderator
8,550 Posts
"grumpy whats your thoughts on me useing the A/C condenser as my trany cooler? "

while I can,t see any reason not to, Ive never done that and would be slightly reluctant to do so, because of concerns over flow restriction and pressure limits, now Im not saying it won,t work, but I personally installed a cooler where the spare tire usually goes

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&part=PRM-12318&N=700+400006+115&autoview=sku

Ive tried four differant coolers ,in about 8 years. the first was a dual unit that included an oil cooler like this

but I soon found the trans needed more cooling and the oil needed LESS as I had difficulty getting/maintaining, the engine oil up to temp with it installed, I soon swapped to just a trans cooler and a two qt deeper aluminum oil pan on the trans

·
Registered
292 Posts
I highly recomend one like the above with a fan. I have just a cooler on mine and the temp climbs at low speed, I need to add a fan!

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
ok nobody is saying a definant no so it will be done this weekend and i wll let you know after a few months of summer driving if i have problems.thanks for your input:cheers:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ok I spoke witht he guys I work with and we all agreed on the same thing, it should work if the tubes are the same size or larger than the lines comming from your tranny. There should be no pressure problems but watch for leaks for the few days after you try it out.
It is also in my opinion that it would be over kill with vette condenser since it is fairly HUGE, you could try a junk yard for one out of an import car or something. But grumpy said he used a tranny cooler and so did I I dont have any problems with it I got one form Advanced Auto for a gvw (gross vehicle weight) of 30000 lbs. This tranny cooler is for towing and rv use but I find it works great for me and I also mounted a trans cooler fan to push air and wiried it through a relay and a toggle switch. This works great with my regular fan and I really dont have to run the fan much while driving unless its low speeds or in stop and go traffic. I still have to mount a trans cooler guage but thats comming soon. I have just been temping it with an infer red temp gun.

·
Banned
101 Posts
thats the second time you've posted that horseshit graph.

the vettes come from the factory running over 200 trans temps. the trannies all last more than 50k miles

·
Registered
440 Posts
Tranny Temp

Hi,
My 96 C4 LT1 auto transmission fluid heats up to 230 and stays there, just had fluid and filter changed. Is this normal?

PETE
My thoughts...Where did you measure the tranny temp? The sump will usually be 10 degrees cooler..I personally don't like tube coolers of any kind. I like the (Long type)( Brand name ) cooler.Most good trans shops have them. It is a radiator style and thats what comes from the factory as a add on. One real cure for trans overheat is good fluid. As you have probably heard there is no more Dexron III. They stopped the licence in December of 2006, so anything you get now is your guess ???. Dexron VI would be my choice if I couldn't get Allison Transynd. The Allison fluid is just so much better than anything else anywhere. I have a trans shop and recommended it to some of my fleets and what a mistake.....my transmission business was cut in half ....but oh well if its good for the customer it will be good for me latrer on. I have put Transynd in all my vehicles which include my Nissan Maxima, my 2005 Chevy Truck, My Corvette, my childrens cars. Anything that use to have Dexron III the Transynd will work in.Anyway the Transynd is a full synthetic and high temp won't hurt it, like the regular fluid ...which isn't Dexron III any more ..... Check it out if you want at www.allisontransmission.com. My 2 cents worth

·
Registered
440 Posts
Something Else

Just a thought that I forgot to mention. I have 348,456 miles on my 1995 GMC Truck.....Never had a engine problem, and never had a transmission problem....

·
Banned
101 Posts
i'm going to try that transynd fluid when i flush mine and replace the filter.

I have a +2 quart pan i'm looking to buy, i've had pretty good luck with those trans/oil coolers you buy from the parts store for like 30 bucks...

i put on my twin turbo 5.0 aode mustang and the trans never failed me, even redline OD pulls... although it was soft shifting from 3 to od but it was always like that.

has anyone tried the 4l60e pans of some of the trucks? they would be +2 for a corvette i believe. and they are really cheap. the only issue i could see is a ground clearance, since there really isn't anything to hit around the pan.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Transynd

i'm going to try that transynd fluid when i flush mine and replace the filter.

I have a +2 quart pan i'm looking to buy, i've had pretty good luck with those trans/oil coolers you buy from the parts store for like 30 bucks...

i put on my twin turbo 5.0 aode mustang and the trans never failed me, even redline OD pulls... although it was soft shifting from 3 to od but it was always like that.

has anyone tried the 4l60e pans of some of the trucks? they would be +2 for a corvette i believe. and they are really cheap. the only issue i could see is a ground clearance, since there really isn't anything to hit around the pan.
If you decide to go with transynd, it will take a couple of changes till you have a good amount of Transynd in the transmission. I think the ground clearance is the reason for the shallow pan on the Vette.Most coolers that are big have a lot of pressure drop across the cooler . The long cooler is in my opinion the best ...they aren't too expensive. If you want I will check to see what they cost. If you know anyone who orders from Transtar thats where I buy mine. You can look at dana.com/ tru cool... In my opinion ...the only one...Try this on your cooler.lay it on the ground and jump up and down on it. I know thats not a way to check a cooler ....but on a Tru Cool cooler ...it wouln't hurt it.. My 1995 GMC came from the factory with a Long (dana) Tru Cooler . It just works. Read about it...you'll like it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

PETE
So what did you end up doing?
I recently noticed my 94 / 55k trans temps also hangs around 230 in traffic, low 200's on the hwy
I never really noticed before.
Coolant is 196-204 always

1 - 14 of 14 Posts