Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like the tital says, how many of you guys on here drive an automatic compare to the guys that drives a manual? im curious

·
Registered
58 Posts
Auto for me because I have a long elbow, at 6,3'':lookinup: . The center console was not where I wanted to be if I was shifting. In my mach 1 stang the center console is not in the way of my elbow so shifting is easy:thumbsup: .

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Automatic here in the 79. Stick in the 75. Automatic is funner on a long drive. But the stick is a real kick in the pants too. I have a quick shift kit in the automatic so it is like driving a 3 speed stick with no clutch to worry about. "Save the Wave" . :cheers:

·
Registered
533 Posts
My 05 was a manual but I decided to try the auto in my 07. To be honest, I'm kind of on the fence about it. I like the spirited feel of just half throttling it thru the gears to just zip it a little in normal driving with the manual but there are times I'm glad I have the auto now as well. Somehow it seems quicker to get up to speed in the auto like when you need to get ahead of someone off a stop light. I'm considering buying an 08 if I like the changes but I'm still on the fence with the trans. I just wish the thing would shift when you hit the paddles instead of a couple seconds later. I guess that can be improved with tuning some people have said. I'll have to try that if I don't do the 08. You didn't say what your own thoughts were between auto and stick.

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I got my C6, I went with the automatic. Life is simpler, I guess.

However. I still have my 2000 Camaro Z-28 wiith a 6 spd., so when I feel the need to ratchet through the gears a little, I just drive it-get my fix-then go back to the automaticc when I am ready.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Myself, I am waiting for the 09 one. See if GM is man enuf to really give us "Baby Boomers" our Retro Corvette! And not like GTO management leaving the damned hood scoop off for aftermarket sales to provide. :rolling: :partyon: :cheers:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Manual all-the-way.....

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Manual all-the-way.....
:agree: I have 10 speed at work Rockwell and 7 speed spicer. I for got what Auto is, grew up driving a three in the tree. if that doesn't tell you how old I am getting:laughing:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hey Meathead, now they know what "Old School" was. My first drive was a Jeep with a 3 speed on the floor and my grandma's 49 Chevy was a three in the tree and the 57 chevy after that was three in the tree also. All on the column. That is what my 69 Chevelle was until I got to Southern California and traded it in on a 68 Roadster, my first love. Had not even thought of them since the early 70's until I ran accross a pic of my first Corvette and while bidding on a custom trike and a 4X4, some darn angel of God directed me to what I needed to drive. I had wrecked a brand new Ford F150 on New Years eve and my Kubota lawn tractor did all she could to rehab me then that is when I bought a 81 yellow canary and called the guy and he told me on the phone that I do not think this is your car. I agreed and that was the first vette I did not buy, then I found one in Oregon and while sleepin on the sofa the 76 went to someone else. Strike 2 in my mind. So to be stupid I bought a 75 that has been sitting there in the blocks for all this time. So, to show her I bought the 79 and have not been happier in all my life driving that 79. Not accustomed to the steering wheel being so small from the Chromey Cars, it too a bit of me getting to the reality of things that the Chromey years are no longer mine. SO,I just accepted what the angel of God told me and still with the 79 endearing her with the name HB. Hunny Bunny. And she can go from 0 to Bitch in 1.3 seconds. And smiling cuz she says "You know already" that I love you. The most fun Corvette I have ever owned. Long live the 79 Corvette. Old is just a number. :smack :thud: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Manual, an auto Vette doesn't feel right to me. But, there are days in heavy traffic that an auto would be nice.
:cheers:

·
Registered
501 Posts
in less than five minutes of conversation, without looking in the car, i can tell a manual trans vette owner from a poser (auto trans type)...except for a couple of guys who for medical reasons can't row...no kidding.

if you don't want to ''really'' drive a vette, or are trapped in city traffic, or whatever...maybe you don't really want a vette to begin with.

''It's not how many winters you have behind you that matters, it's how many summers you have in front''

·
Registered
125 Posts
I take some offence to being called a 'poser' because I have an automatic Vette. I would jump at the change to own the manual, if they move the shifter 3" to the right so it doesn’t hit my knee from 1st to 2nd on my 6'6" frame.

A vette is a vette, drive what you love. To each is their own.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For me, it was simple. It's a Corvette; hence, it must be a manual. I survive just fine with the manual in Dallas area traffic although I recognize there's little performance or mileage variance now between the A6 and the M6. I don't know how tall you are, but I'm a bit over 6' 3" and find the location of the stick and clutch to be darn near perfect. There's advantages to both......

·
Registered
393 Posts
We're past the 60s. The clutch pedal pressure on my T/A isn't high. The clutch pedals on the C6 and even the ZO6 are so soft I call them toy clutches.

Joel

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
in less than five minutes of conversation, without looking in the car, i can tell a manual trans vette owner from a poser (auto trans type)...except for a couple of guys who for medical reasons can't row...no kidding.

if you don't want to ''really'' drive a vette, or are trapped in city traffic, or whatever...maybe you don't really want a vette to begin with.

''It's not how many winters you have behind you that matters, it's how many summers you have in front''
If I'm a poser because I can out drive you on any track or strip in the country, then so be it, I'm a poser....:rolling: Just because you drive a manual tranny doesn't make you more of a car guy nor does it make your car superior to an auto. As the years have past, automatic cars have dominated lots of different racing genres, inc drag racing and F1. There's no need to bash other owners for their transmission preference. Alot could bash you because of the inherited weakness of the motor of your car, the lack of refinement and handling compared to the modern cars, but that doesn't happen, huh. I respect what other vette owners have and won't bash them for it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Driven Both liked Both , Auto was just more practial For me Long trips through heavy traffic like Boston Hartford Conn. NY NY Washington D.C.,Richmond Va. , Atlanta Ga, N.O. La. .After 15 to 20 hours on the road Auto worked and I didn't

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I prefer a manual don't like the lag when an automatic shifts(not a lag in the shift but the lag you feel when the torque converter is catching up with the engine.) I do like the feel of the Allison 6 speed in the manual mode that chevy is using in the HD Silverado. I would really like to drive the new C6 A6 with the paddle shift.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Manual... there is nothing more fun than doing your own rev matching when downshifting or keeping it in a low gear and swinging the tail out through a turn (Although, at 550 per tire, I do that only on rare occasions). My truck and wifes car are daily drivers and are autos.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If I'm a poser because I can out drive you on any track or strip in the country, then so be it, I'm a poser....:rolling: Just because you drive a manual tranny doesn't make you more of a car guy nor does it make your car superior to an auto. As the years have past, automatic cars have dominated lots of different racing genres, inc drag racing and F1. There's no need to bash other owners for their transmission preference. Alot could bash you because of the inherited weakness of the motor of your car, the lack of refinement and handling compared to the modern cars, but that doesn't happen, huh. I respect what other vette owners have and won't bash them for it.
:agree:

Well said Evilways.

BTW...nice Vette.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts