Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I backed my 06 Vette out of the garage and I put it in drive but it would not move. The shifter will go into D S and R, but the car will not drive. I put it in N and pushed it in the garage when it will roll in P too? My car only has 38k miles. I searched but I could not find a similar issue.
Please help I love my car

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
You need a shifter cable. The rubber ends fall apart after so many years. To be done right the car needs to be in the air and the center section of the exhaust and tunnel closeout need to come down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I backed my 06 Vette out of the garage and I put it in drive but it would not move. The shifter will go into D S and R, but the car will not drive. I put it in N and pushed it in the garage when it will roll in P too? My car only has 38k miles. I searched but I could not find a similar issue.
Please help I love my car
This is a common problem with the C6 and even older GM models such as every Pontiac Bonneville I have ever owned. Mine does it intermittently. It is caused by a plastic pawl in the shifter console that prevents the car from being moved out of park unless your foot is on the brake. When you press the brake this energizes a solenoid that moves this pawl out of the way so you can move the shifter. The pawl gets worn, dirty, whatever, over time. An easy fix is to remove the console cover and then remove the pawl, or at least trim off the part of the pawl that is blocking your shift lever. My '07 C6 goes "under the knife" for this very fix this week! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
This is a common problem with the C6 and even older GM models such as every Pontiac Bonneville I have ever owned. Mine does it intermittently. It is caused by a plastic pawl in the shifter console that prevents the car from being moved out of park unless your foot is on the brake. When you press the brake this energizes a solenoid that moves this pawl out of the way so you can move the shifter. The pawl gets worn, dirty, whatever, over time. An easy fix is to remove the console cover and then remove the pawl, or at least trim off the part of the pawl that is blocking your shift lever. My '07 C6 goes "under the knife" for this very fix this week! ;)
Read the post next time guy. He isn't complaining about being stuck in park. He is complaining about shifting through the gears but the car wont move. And that is a dis connected cable all day. But you are still right, this is a common c5 and c6 issue. The shift cables fall apart and are only reliable for 5 years or so. Some get more some get a lot more. Some get about that.

What you are complaining about is a solenoid that gets energized when you step on the brake pedal. This problem is most noticed by the button on the shifter not being able to be pressed in when you step on the brake pedal. The brake pedal position sensor does fail also, but we are looking at a shifter that will go into all of its positions as stated by the OP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts