Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, i had a quick (and i'm sure naive sounding) question i hope someone can help me out with. i have an 1987 c4 with an automatic transmission. i was wondering, is there any way to get the transmission to "listen" to the shifter more accurately (for lack of a better term)? for example, if i put it in drive 2 it will shift up when it thinks it should, rather than stay in drive 2 to accelerate faster and allow me to shift it up to the next gear when i choose.

i know... i'm just trying to cheat and feel like i own a standard... ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
A shift kit would make the trans stay in manual 2.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Before and after my trans build I was able to keep it in 2nd w/ the shifter in 2. I don't ever recall it going up a gear. I manually shifted my auto more than 1/2 the time I drove it. My manual says:

MANUAL SECOND (2)

* With the vehicle stopped, place the gear selector in "second", (2) and accelerate to observe:

-The first to second gear shift point

* Accelerate to 25 MPH (40 KPH) and observe:

-That a second to third gear shift does not occur

-That the TCC does not engage

Now after typing that out I can tell you I had it in (2) at 70 MPH w/ no upshift. I'm guessing that if yours upshifts at 25, you have a problem. I would still check your TV cable adjustment. I never had my slider more than 5 clicks out of the readjustment fitting.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Let me know the results , I would like to do the same. Just bought some new tires need to break them in properly :partyon:
Here,Here golfman,
We always like to hear about tire breaking in. Try to post some videos of the event please.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey, war machine, what does it mean if the car does upshift at 25mph to 3rd? does it say what that might indicate?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Before and after my trans build I was able to keep it in 2nd w/ the shifter in 2. I don't ever recall it going up a gear. I manually shifted my auto more than 1/2 the time I drove it. My manual says:

MANUAL SECOND (2)

* With the vehicle stopped, place the gear selector in "second", (2) and accelerate to observe:

-The first to second gear shift point

* Accelerate to 25 MPH (40 KPH) and observe:

-That a second to third gear shift does not occur

-That the TCC does not engage

Now after typing that out I can tell you I had it in (2) at 70 MPH w/ no upshift. I'm guessing that if yours upshifts at 25, you have a problem. I would still check your TV cable adjustment. I never had my slider more than 5 clicks out of the readjustment fitting.
" check your TV cable adjustment." That would be the first thing I would check as well.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
" check your TV cable adjustment." That would be the first thing I would check as well.
:agree:

Start by doing this;

The adjustment fitting is located on the bracket on the driver side of the plenum just behind the throttle body. It had a D shaped button on it. It's pretty stiff so use a screw driver to press the D shaped tab in. The slider should snap back in the fitting. Next open the throttle all the way, this will reset the TV cable. If this does not help let us know. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts