Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange transmission fluid leak. When I start my 2000 corvette, when the transmission is cold and when I put it in reverse it will push tranny fluid out of the small hole located at the bottom of the back of the transmission where it meets the rear end. It will push out about 1 or 2 ounces. It will make a spot on the floor about the size of a pancake. After that it doesn't leak any more the rest of the day. Is this a bad rear seal and if so why does it only leak when first put into reverse to back out of the garage and then doesn't the rest of the day?:lookinup:

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Did you just have it serviced ?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where's our automatic transmission experts?:lookinup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trans leak

I have the same problem, but only if it sits for a few weeks. Mine leaks a smaller spot than what you describe, but I'm afraid it will get worse if I don't fix it. Interested in the answer?

By the way hoopty, I also race at CCD. Thought I recognized your camaro.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same problem, but only if it sits for a few weeks. Mine leaks a smaller spot than what you describe, but I'm afraid it will get worse if I don't fix it. Interested in the answer?

By the way hoopty, I also race at CCD. Thought I recognized your camaro.
I called the folks at RPM transmission. They build high performance transmissions. I was told that when I put the car in reverse the line pressure jumps to it's highest pressure. They told me that it is the rear seal and bushing that's worn enough to allow the leak. I tried starting the car stone cold and shifting into drive and no leakage occurred. It makes sense that it would we worse on a cold day when the fluid is thicker. Unfortunately the cure is to remove the trans and replace the bushing and seal and if I'm going in that far I might as well rebuild the trans.:surprised

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just talked to a service manager at a Chevrolet dealership. He found a bulletin which described this problem to a tee. It is the rear seal that fails "especially when cold" the cure is a rear seal with a new design. The GM part number is 24228816.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
591 Posts
good posting
I hope I never have that issue:cheers:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi folks,
I have the same issue and it is worse when cold. I'm wondering if anyone has had success adding a stop leak to their trans fluid as a way to avoid pulling the tranny. I have used these products successfully on other leaks, but have not tried it on the Vette yet.

cheers,

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Hi folks,
I have the same issue and it is worse when cold. I'm wondering if anyone has had success adding a stop leak to their trans fluid as a way to avoid pulling the tranny. I have used these products successfully on other leaks, but have not tried it on the Vette yet.

cheers,
That stuff is the last thing I would put in this tranny. Maybe my turbo 360 in my 79' but definitely not in my Vette. The service manual strictly advises against adding those types of fluids to the tranny and engine.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My car is now fixed!....I paid a buddy $200 labor to rebuild the tranny while it was out and I pulled the tranny and bought all the parts. The rebuild kit was $180 new seal $37 fluid $30. The leak is gone and now I know whats involved in doing the repair.:thumbsup:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
That stuff is the last thing I would put in this tranny. Maybe my turbo 360 in my 79' but definitely not in my Vette. The service manual strictly advises against adding those types of fluids to the tranny and engine.
Turbo 360? :huh:

I've heard of TH350s and TH400 but never a 360

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
My car is now fixed!....I paid a buddy $200 labor to rebuild the tranny while it was out and I pulled the tranny and bought all the parts. The rebuild kit was $180 new seal $37 fluid $30. The leak is gone and now I know whats involved in doing the repair.:thumbsup:
So how much work was it? That was a steal of a deal. I hope you bought him a keg afterward! :surprised

·
Registered
914 Posts
So how much work was it? That was a steal of a deal. I hope you bought him a keg afterward! :surprised
It really wasn't to bad to do. But I do have a lift in my garage at home. I actually took more apart than I needed to. I did it a little different than the GM procedure called for. I disconnected the torque tube at the rear of the car instead of the front. That way I was able to support the engine with the tube buy simply making 3 small support straps that bolted to the back of the car where the tube cover was removed.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
914 Posts
I was wondering how tough it would be to rotate the engine to remove the torque converter bolts. I was able to stand under the car and shine a light into the hole in the bell housing and watch the bolts align with the opening as I rotated the engine by shorting the starter terminals. I have a sturdy iron work table that I converted into a table/tranny jack by simply cutting a round hole in the center of the table and adding supports to the legs. This allowed me to support the trans and diff while I removed the cradle.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took the pictures so that I could see the exact angle that the trans/diff needed to be after the rebuild for reinstalling. Then I wondered how could I support the cradle for removable while supporting the torque tube and the trans/diff all at the same time......My answer was to use my cherry picker from the bottom of the cradle. I figured out that If I could attach 2 cable come alongs to either side of the cradle and then attach the other end of the come alongs to a pipe slid under the legs of the cherry picker I could stabilize the cradle and remove it. It all worked like a charm!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
The skill of people on this site never ceases to amaze me. Thanks Junkman for your response on the stop leak products.
I felt the same way when I found these forums. I would have never attempted to repair anything on my car if it wasn't for guys like Hoopty. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts