Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is soooo much info coming in so quick right now, please excuse any dupes in here. First there are the obligatory pics - plenty here but I think we have had good look at the car by this point. I found AW's text most interesting. It's a long article so I will try to hit the important parts on the mechanics...

1. "We're told its standard 6.0-liter LS2 Gen IV smallblock V8 generates 400 hp (6500 RPM, iron cyl liners and weighs 15.4 lbs less than the Gen III, comp ratio 10.9, airflow improved 30%, stiffer valve springs, heavy-duty timing chain, 33% lighter exhaust manifolds, dirlled main crank bearings, new wingless oil pan, upgraded water pump, ) and will propel it to an honest, autobahn-tested stable 180 mph top speed ."
2. Suspension: "... every single piece has been changed to refine the performance and to engineer in the longest travel of any sports car in the segment. ... Long travel allows .. ride-enhancing bump absorption and handling refinement. ... (and) better on-center feel."
3. The Z51 gets you,
a. stiffer springs and dampers
b. more aggressive tires
c. larger, 13.4" front rotors with dual piston calipers, 13" out back with single pistons.
d. Unique ratios, "shorter through most gears with a longer fifth for high top speed). A C6 with Z51 option will rival this years Z06 fffor performance, Hill said.
4. Though considered, no paddle shift right now, but maybe in the future.
5. NO MENTION OF V V T !!!!
6. Engine electronics are integrated with active handling to allow the driver to slide the car some, even when engaged in ... sport-handling assist mode ..."

The rest is about the body (drag is .28 as all know by now).

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Here are quotes from Autoweek:

On sale in the fall....LS-2, 6.0 Liter 400hp, 400 lb.ft.
curb weight 3245 pounds, 0-60 in 4.3 seconds (est.)....Base price $45,000 (est).... honest, autobahn tested 180mph top speed...it is 5 inches shorter, one inch narrower, "more graceful" says Dave Hill....sleeker, tighter, quicker, and more refined.... A C6 with Z51 option will rival this year's Z06 for performance, Hill said.....reinforced windshield frame...the Tremec 6-speed transaxle has been refined...there is a dual-mass flywheel for smoother, quieter clutch action, the gearshift lever is an inch shorter and angled toward the driver, and the travel for all synchros is reduced 10 per cent...all new shift linkage, and shfit rail bearings that contribute to a quic, more snick-snick action...base engine has a 6,500 redline.

The engine is 15.4 pounds lighter than today's Gen III engine....compression ratio is up from 10.1 to 10.9....intake airflow has been improved by 30 per cent....there's a new throttle body and new composite intake manifold....stiffer valve springs and revised camshaft for more valve lift, as well as a new heavy duty timing chain...33% lighter exhaust manifold..external knock sensors, drilled main crank bearings...new oil pan and an upgraded water pump...new wingless oil pan better maintains oil pressure in extreme handling maneuvers, even while containing one less quart of oil and draining more easily for the home mechanic...the engine electronics are fullly integrated with an active handling system that will allow the driver to slide the car some, even when engaged in what GM calls the most sporting handling assist mode on the market.... the real story of the C6 will come when (Autoweek) drive it and find out how much the car's dynamic's have improved... (note, the article says they have not driven the car yet.)

B-pillars slant rearward instead of forward as on the C5.... windshield is slightly more upright, the idea here was to cut wind buffeting when the top is out.....coefficient of drag is improved to 0.28 from 0.29......re-configurable heads up (optional) display offers two modes, street & track....track version of HUD has a real time accelerometer..only the coupe will be shown in Detroit, the convetible will be shown later in the year, and the Z06 will be a 2006 model, and it will differ from the C6.

13 millimeters of suspension travel was added to the front, 20 mm in the rear, and 8 degrees of caster was added for better on-center feel.

The Z51 performance suspension and you get stiffer springs and dampers, more aggressive tires, brakes and its own gear ratios (shorter through most gears for better accelleration, with a longer fifth for high top speed).

The wheels are an inch bigger in diameter (18x8.5 front and 19x10 rear), and the tires are 10 mm wider at 245/40 and 285/35.:cheers: :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
10,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It may be wishfull thinking, but the use of the descriptor "standard" engine caught my eye. They could just be differentiating bewteen the coupe / vert and the Z06, ...... or MAYBE there really is a hotter engine option coming for the coupe / vert. Logic tell me to doubt the latter, but my heart wants more power available in the Targa!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
ya know u could be right, why did he say "standard" engine, he could have left out the standard.... hmmm that would be sweet if they had a ZO6 option for every kind of corvette, then the "blue devil" could be a FRC only model......

·
Super Moderator
10,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that would be too much to hope for. They will be asking a very stiff price for the Z06 - it must be very unique. However, a 100 - 115 HP spread is pretty big (Coupe / vert vs Z06). I could see myself, and others, checking a 435 - 450 HP LS2 option box at $2,000 or there abouts. Only available on the Z51, of course.

However, it is far more likely that the 400 HP was pegged because of the limitations of the current Auto. The real benefits of any higher HP would probably be neutralized by the required tq controls needed for the current Auto trans. When the 6 speed Auto becomes available (18-24 months), look for a bump in HP for the Coupe / vert.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts