Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm going to be installing the Pioneer AVIC-D3 unit in my 02 Z this week/weekend. I have a few questions before install.
1) I have a Zune and would like to hook it up to the unit. Can I buy the IPOD hookup and that be it? Will the same cable work for the ZUNE?
2) Can I hook up the stock speakers and stock amp up to this unit? I don't want to replace speakers just yet, They still work pretty well.
3) I'm not familiar with the wiring of this car. Where is the hookup for the car information at? What wire(s) do I tap into to get the info to display on the AVIC?
4) Will this unit stay on the entire time? They salesman I talked to sold me an adapter that will let me plug it into a keyed fuse. For some reason he didn't charge me for it or send it. Does this mean the AVIC will be on the entire time, even when my car isn't?

Thanks for the answers and suggestions guys. I will continue to read/research and maybe I'll find some answers as well.

Josh

·
Registered
411 Posts
The Avic-D3 is a double din unit, how are you going to fit it in the Corvette's 1.5 din opening.

·
...twisting your mind and smashing your dreams.
9,388 Posts
Yikes, that's a lot of questions:laughing:

First, and don't let this scare you, installing a double din NAV unit like the AVIC is a BIG project. You are gonna have to be very patient and really take your time, this is NOT an afternoon undertaking.

Coupe of answers...

No, the Pioneer ipod adapter will NOT work with the Zune, it's a totally different dock connector. Not sure if there is a Zune adapter (don't think so) so you'll most likely have to just use one of the AVIC's aux inputs, you'll get great sound but will not be able to control the Zune from the Avic unit.

Yes, you can use the Bose speakers, but don't.:laughing: First, you'll need an adapter, an expensive adapter, and the end result will be OK at best. The bose stuff all runs on individual speaker amplifiers and the adapter is needed to bring the signal down to the right level to keep from blowing up the amps/speakers or worse, frying the AVIC unit. Even with the Adapter, like I said, the sound will only be OK and the AVIC will run HOT. Trust me, the AVIC install is a big undertaking, just do the speakers at the same time, simple by comparison. And you can get a complete set of speakers front and rear for not a whole lot more money than you'll spend on the adapter to make the Bose stuff work. And again, the sound will be far better in the end.

Wiring is not as difficult, but still needs to be done carefully. You can get a harness adapter at most install shops, you should be able to find a wiring diagram online (I'll see if I can locate one for you).

As far as the on-all-the-time worry, forget about it. Once it's all wired up it will function just like the oem stuff.

Please don't take offense, but by the sound of these questions I get the impression you haven't done much of these kinds of installs, and you don't want to hurt your expensive new toys (not to mention that Z!), make sure you have everything worked out before you start. I'll be happy to help you out however I can:thumbsup:

·
9,388 Posts
The Avic-D3 is a double din unit, how are you going to fit it in the Corvette's 1.5 din opening.
with a little patience and a lot of careful hard work;)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yikes, that's a lot of questions:laughing:

First, and don't let this scare you, insatlling a double din NAV unit like the AVIC is a BIG project. You are gonna have to be very patient and really take your time, this is NOT an afternoon undertaking.

Coupe of answers...

No, the Pioneer ipod adapter will NOT work with the Zune, it's a totally different dock connector. Not sure if there is a Zune adapetr (don't think so) so you'll most likely have to just use one of the AVIC's aux inputs, you'll get great sound but will not be able to control the Zune from the Avic unit.

Yes, you can use the Bose speakers, but don't.:laughing: First, you'll need an adapter, an expensive adapter, and the end result will be OK at best. The bose stuff all runs on individual sppeak amplifiers and the adapter is needed to bring the signal down to the right level to keep from blowing up the amps/speakers or worse, frying the AVIC unit. Even with the Adapter, like I said, the sound will only be OK and the AVIC will run HOT. Trust me, the AVIC installis a big undertaking, just do the speakers at the same time, simple by comparison. And you can get a complete set of speakers front and rear for not a whole lot more money than you'll spend on the adapter to make the bose stuff work. And again, the sound will be far better in the end.

Wiring is not as difficult, but still needs to be done carefully. You can get a harness adapter at most intstall shops, you should be able to find a wiring diagram online (I'll see if I can locate one for you).

As far as the on-all-the-time worry, forget about it. Once it's all wired up it will function just like the oem stuff.

Please don't take offense, but by the sound of these questions I get the impression you havent done much of these kinds of installs, and you don't wnat to hurt your expensive new toys (not to mention that Z!), make sure you have everything worked out before you start. I'll be happy to help you out however I can:thumbsup:

Thanks Sheriff,

I have done very little wiring for this car. I have no clue where things are. That is why I'm trying to grasp. Normally when I can see how things are laid out I can handle the proceeding problems. No worries though. I'm going to my brother's house tonight. He has some hook ups with a few Audio Shops. They trade product on occasions. I will see if they will do the install with new speakers and I'll do the fabrication of the center console. I DO NOT want them F*ing that up. That's what happened on my other vette. They cut the center piece on my 75 in half. Didn't repair either.

What kind of speakers do you think I should get? I'm partial to Memphis. They sound great in the cars I've heard them in. I don't want to do a sub and amp yet, but that will happen later. Right now, I'm just wanting this thing in and running smoothly.

Thanks Again Sheriff,

Josh

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
Turn and RUN!! DON'T WALK, RUN!!!:laughing: :laughing:
The most fun I've had with a car was getting in Dave's with an air chisel and a drill. Bring it on over let's tear it up.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The most fun I've had with a car was getting in Dave's with an air chisel and a drill. Bring it on over let's tear it up.:laughing:
I will definitely have to bring it over, but after the install. :laughing: , The guy quoted my brother $100 for the install. + I pay for any new parts, i.e. speakers. Getting this deal b/c they have known each other for a while. My brother and the former owner of my brother's store have always helped him out with supplies and vice versa. I will like to get together to show off cars though:partyon:

Josh

·
9,388 Posts
I will definitely have to bring it over, but after the install. :laughing: , The guy quoted my brother $100 for the install. + I pay for any new parts, i.e. speakers. Getting this deal b/c they have known each other for a while. My brother and the former owner of my brother's store have always helped him out with supplies and vice versa. I will like to get together to show off cars though:partyon:

Josh
Well, $100 sounds good, and I have no doubt this is a qualified installer, but if he quoted you $100, friend or not, he has not done one of these before.:laughing:

He has no idea:laughing: My advice, even if you totally trust the guy, BE THERE, the WHOLE time!

The most fun I've had with a car was getting in Dave's with an air chisel and a drill.
hell yeah! you can't say I'm a pussy about it:laughing:

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
Well, $100 sounds good, and I have no doubt this is a qualified installer, but if he quoted you $100, friend or not, he has not done one of these before.:laughing:

He has no idea:laughing: My advice, even if you totally trust the guy, BE THERE, the WHOLE time!

Holy crap $100 to install that? Is he doing the interior trim work too? Give him $150 and you'll still be ahead of the game.

·
9,388 Posts
Holy crap $100 to install that? Is he doing the interior trim work too? Give him $150 and you'll still be ahead of the game.
I wouldn't do it for $1,500:laughing:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

He told my brother he has done a vette install before. I don't personally know the guy, but my brother says he'll stand behind whatever he does or says. I will definitely be there as much as I can. I was told "Quality Work" and I expect "Quality Work." I have to be there tomorrow at 11am. I'm leaving here around 6:30pm-7pm tonight. Should get about 5 or 6 hours of sleep.

Josh

·
9,388 Posts
what's the guy's/shop's name?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Elite Audio or Ulitmate Audio. I'm not sure which one my brother talked to, but he has friends at both. I'm pretty sure it's Ulitmate though. They are out of Lexington, S.C.

Josh

·
Registered
37 Posts
No wayhe is doing all of the dash wrk or only $100, unless he owes your brother...big time! My guess is that he doesnt realize it is a 1.5 opening. Let us know!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
update on this.

Few things: You were right Vette-kid. He thought it was the 1.5 Din unit. He was under the impression that it was a motorized flip up screen. Good thing is they aren't scared of modifications. Thanks to THE TORCH and SHERIFFD2, I was able to show him what needed to be done to keep the HVAC unit. He was thinking to delete the HVAC and keep the ash tray. I showed him the pics and he understood. He still is only charging a few hundred though. I opted to keep the cup holder, b/c I actually use it. They are also upgrading my entire audio system. I'm getting JLs everywhere witha JL W2 Sub in as well. They do some great work. I got to look at a few cars there and they were sweet. I should be getting her back later today with bypass mod done. I will try and get some pics even if they are just camera pics.

Josh

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have AVIC-D3 and the bluetooth adapter. Has anyone figured how to use it with a PDA phone (ATT 8525, Palm One Trio, Blackberry, etc.)? It connects quickly to none PDAs. I've seen on other forums that this is a problem that pioneer has not figured out.

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
update on this.

Few things: You were right Vette-kid. He thought it was the 1.5 Din unit. He was under the impression that it was a motorized flip up screen. Good thing is they aren't scared of modifications. Thanks to THE TORCH and SHERIFFD2, I was able to show him what needed to be done to keep the HVAC unit. He was thinking to delete the HVAC and keep the ash tray. I showed him the pics and he understood. He still is only charging a few hundred though. I opted to keep the cup holder, b/c I actually use it. They are also upgrading my entire audio system. I'm getting JLs everywhere witha JL W2 Sub in as well. They do some great work. I got to look at a few cars there and they were sweet. I should be getting her back later today with bypass mod done. I will try and get some pics even if they are just camera pics.

Josh
Cool be sure to post pics.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I cant wait

I cant wait to see.:D
I may wait until winter to do this.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got it back yesterday guys. It's pretty cool. It works for the most part haven't been able to check playback while driving yet. It sounds Amazing. I have an oil leak from the valley cover (I think) and that will be taken care of today, then it is off to test the DVD playback. It looks pretty good. I got a big 12 in the back. I will buy a canyon box latter and just transfer the speaker in there. They set it up that way, b/c we didn't have time to order the box. I have to leave tomorrow. I will try and get pics later today.

Josh

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update

Hey guys,

I wasn't able to get the oil leak repaired, so I had to limp the car home 500 freaking miles. I just watched my gauges and added oil every so often and got home fine. She ran well, but I couldn't stretch her legs. The DVD system playback is awesome and works like a charm sitting still or moving. The Nav system was great too. I was figuring out how to use it the whole way down.

I will get pics uploaded tonight or tomorrow. I left the camera USB cord at home with my laptop power cords. The laptop has the card slot just no power at all.

Josh

1 - 20 of 28 Posts