Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought the Avon Tire M550 for my A/S driving, now that I am going back to Europe I need to buy Euro compliant tires (i.e. Michelin).

The tires have 6/32 left on them and I am wondering what to do with them: sell them or burn them at a track event.

As I was getting only low ball offers on my brand new OEM GoodYear tires (took them off straight away because I bought the car in the winter), I burnt them up on the track

Any thoughts?

Do you guys buy second hand tires or not? I know I personally don't, I always buy new so I don't have a pulse on second market.

:cheers:

Regards,

Cedric

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Cedric,

I have a spare set of wheels laying around...and I rarely drive in the snow but I have to ask...since I'm in bergen county...as well..(15 minutes from you in englewood)

What are you asking for them and traditionally don't the tires get tossed at 4/32nds?

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

It is true that Avon M550 have the M+S stamped on the side walls, however they do not have the snow flakes stamp.

Given the tread of these tires, for the Corvette, they are good at avoiding aqua-planning and driving in light snow and make a decent, cost effective all season tire. I drove one session in snow with them before I got the Pirreli.

They do not qualify as snow tires and are not in the same league, at least from my experience, as the Pirelli Winter 240 sottozero, which I literally took to a snow track.

I am very comfortable driving with these tires in rain, even strong rain, dry adherence is decent but they are not street track tires from an adherence perspective.

That being said, for the C6, the Avon are in the 800$+ range and the Pirelli 1100$+ range. You get what you pay for ...

These are my DD tires throughout the year, the wear and tear is decent. The tires are noisy, not as noisy as the OEM GoodYear EMT. They are most noisiest at 80 mph, below 50mph it's fine; a bit like the GoodYear EMT, IMO.

At this point, I really am not decided between destroying them at the track or selling them off.

The tires new are 8/32, so they are approx at 50% usage for the front. However the rear tires have suffered from being over inflated (30 PSI is too much). Even though new the middle was not as deep as the outside; I haven't been able to correct the situation.

The most worn out are the rear tires in the middle, at the most worn out part they are at 3/32 from the wear indicator (there is more tread left but 3/32 rubber gone, you need to change them or burn them at the track).

For the rear tires, inner wear is 5/32 and outer wear is 6/32, rounded down (5.4/32 to be exact).

I was thinking of off loading them in the 200$ range.

That being said, as a conclusion, if you are looking for some decent cost-effective tires, you may want to consider these tires, but I'm not a tire expert. I only have driven the GoodYear, Pirelli and these, soon I will be driving with the Michelin. Of all of them, they are the cheapest I found which what lead to my initial purchase for my DD.

A++ Cedric

1 - 3 of 3 Posts