Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I thought the shape of the '07 sport seat was good for my back, but after a long drive up to the Silver State Challenge in Ely Nevada (550 mile day), my back hurts. Worse, now when I even think about driving my C6, my back twinges again. I asked a local upholstery shop if they could take it apart and stick some extra foam in there, but they suggested sheepskins instead. My wife's '05 Mustang is soooo much more comfortable. Any ideas out there? Am I the only one who thinks the seat sucks? It isn't because I am too big either, I am 6 ft, 175 lbs. I have s sheep on order, so I will see if that helps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you not have lumbar controls? They allow for all kinds of seat arrangements.

I haven't sat in a car seat more comfortable since my buddy put a Lazy Boy in his minivan.
It has lumbar controls, it ranges from bad to worse.

Mustang has lumbar controls too, they go from good to great.
I think I will sell it and hope the new Camaro is better.

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
It has lumbar controls, it ranges from bad to worse.

Mustang has lumbar controls too, they go from good to great.
I think I will sell it and hope the new Camaro is better.
That's weird...

Put about 11,000 miles last month in a C6, the seats were one of the best parts.

I'd ridden in the new Mustangs, those seats weren't even worth mentioning.

·
Registered
269 Posts
At first I thought the shape of the '07 sport seat was good for my back, but after a long drive up to the Silver State Challenge in Ely Nevada (550 mile day), my back hurts. Worse, now when I even think about driving my C6, my back twinges again. I asked a local upholstery shop if they could take it apart and stick some extra foam in there, but they suggested sheepskins instead. My wife's '05 Mustang is soooo much more comfortable. Any ideas out there? Am I the only one who thinks the seat sucks? It isn't because I am too big either, I am 6 ft, 175 lbs. I have s sheep on order, so I will see if that helps.
if it helps...id like to know. id like to replace both seats. they make my back hurt on long trips, and they make you slouch. im constantly having to pick myself up in the seat.

i once had a twin turbo 350z. i really liked the Z's seats.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I know what you mean. I had a 1997 Suburban that would kill my back if I drove it for more than an hour.

I'm really lucky with the Vette, I love the seats. On long trips I just pump up the lumbar a little bit and I'm good for 8 hours.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know what you mean. I had a 1997 Suburban that would kill my back if I drove it for more than an hour.

I'm really lucky with the Vette, I love the seats. On long trips I just pump up the lumbar a little bit and I'm good for 8 hours.
I think I have an unusually long spine, and short legs for my height, this makes the lumbar bulge hit me too low. Just a guess.

·
Registered
533 Posts
When I was at the Bash during my one on one with a GM rep, I mentioned that I thought the seats were more comfortable on my 05 than the ones in the 07. He said he had heard some rumblings about that too. He also mentioned that if you have heated seats that to be sure you didn't have the seat in it's lowest position because you will be sitting on the heating element.
I tried this and it is quite uncomfortable. Check and make sure this isn't your problem. Raise the seat a little bit and see if it helps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I was at the Bash during my one on one with a GM rep, I mentioned that I thought the seats were more comfortable on my 05 than the ones in the 07. He said he had heard some rumblings about that too. He also mentioned that if you have heated seats that to be sure you didn't have the seat in it's lowest position because you will be sitting on the heating element.
I tried this and it is quite uncomfortable. Check and make sure this isn't your problem. Raise the seat a little bit and see if it helps.
Didn't know the seats were differenct in '07, now I remember I made buy decision after driving a '05, which was more comfy. Don't need heated seats here in the land of eternal sunshine. The best position for me is rotated up and back.

·
Registered
267 Posts
biggfroggy -

I notice the same thing, I keep slouching in my seats.

It was worse in the regular seats, but now both my C6s have sport seats and although not as bad, I find myself propping myself back up after a while.

Very annoying.

The seats are comfortable until I slide down in to a slouch.

Is it slippery leather or the shape of the seats causing this?

I am tempted to put some non-skid suede strips on my seats:rolleyes:

Howard

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't know exactly what your problem might be, but if you are willing to spend the $$ and time to research/implement a seat change, you might look into the Recaro or Bride seats that come in other cars. The Recaro seats in my EVO MR were very comfortable even though they lacked any lumbar adjustment and even the recline control was a hard to reach and hard to turn knob.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know exactly what your problem might be, but if you are willing to spend the $$ and time to research/implement a seat change, you might look into the Recaro or Bride seats that come in other cars. The Recaro seats in my EVO MR were very comfortable even though they lacked any lumbar adjustment and even the recline control was a hard to reach and hard to turn knob.....
Recaros are wonderful, I have an old one in garage purchased for a never finished project. But it wouldn't look well in my red and black leather interior C6 and it would be a major project to get it in there. If they made one just for my car I might consider it, but imagine the cost would be $4000 or more.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
267 Posts
It has nothing to do with age.

I don't even think it has anything to do with having a bad back, although I had back surgery last year.

I definitely think the seats are too slippery, in fact, Car and Driver Magazine did a test of a Yellow C6 Z51 coupe 3lt vs a Shelby GT500.

They loved the C6, but their complaint was the slippery seats and how they kept on ending up in an inadvertent slouch.:agree:

Howard

1 - 18 of 18 Posts