Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
We had three for about a year. A Dominique hen, Rhode Island Red hen and a white Leghorn rooster. They didn't have free reign of the yard though, they stayed in a pen.

Kind of neat animals and they can become very tame.

The eggs taste MUCH better than any store bought ones.

The new wore off of ours with the kids and we also stopped eating as many eggs. Ended up giving them to a friend of mine.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,439 Posts
No chicken in the back yard but I do have a turkey across the street

·
Banned
6,799 Posts
Anybody here have backyard chickens?

can you share anything you've learned about it?
I have about 21 backyard chickens.
2 Years.
Started off with 30.
The weak will get sick and die without notice.
Real Chicken Mafia .
They gang up and kill the one thet don't like at all.

Build a strong coop.
The wind gusts here can reach 60-70 mph in the fall.
Just 1 hour north of you I-39.

10' x 12 coop base.
On 4"x4" treated posts 12 of them set in the ground 4 feet deep.
About 2,000-2,200 pounds of concrete poured by hand.
All wood.
Plywood sheeting and floor.
Need adequate ventalation.

Protection from Coyotes.

Outside of town like you on 5 acres.

·
Banned
6,799 Posts
Its the classic lean 2 style coop I built.
Full walk in height .
5 Foot tall on North side.
7 feet on south side.
Makes for a simple slant roof.

Main base set 24 " inches off the ground.
Idea is to have a barrier so nothing can chew a hole through the bottom or sides and get in.

Windows are 4 feet off the ground
Racoon proof .

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Interesting topic.

I have been looking into this for a few years now.

Local regs say I can have chickens because I am unincorporated and have a rural address. However no roosters are allowed.

I was worried about the cold.

Must have coop elevated and off the ground.

Keep light bulb on timer in winter or egg production will drop.

I am worried about coyotes and fox. also lots of raptors here too.

Let me know how it goes.

Good luck.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its the classic lean 2 style coop I built.
Full walk in height .
5 Foot tall on North side.
7 feet on south side.
Makes for a simple slant roof.

Main base set 24 " inches off the ground.
Idea is to have a barrier so nothing can chew a hole through the bottom or sides and get in.

Windows are 4 feet off the ground
Racoon proof .
That's good stuff.

I'm looking at repurposing/using a heavy duty wooden swing set at the platform - mostly because it will look more like a playhouse off one end which would be more natural in the yard anyway. It will have the same shingles as the house...same color siding...etc.

We do get a LOT of wind where I am...Yes, 70 mph happens around me.

We also have very wide open land on my acres and very little to slow down the rush.

The coop will be facing South.

We are thinking along the lines of four hens - don't want a rooster for the noise...but which we could work around that for future chic production.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
My parents and grandparents have had chickens most of their lives and I grew up with them. My uncle had a coop but ours were "free range". We'd never heard that term but I do know that every day was an Easter egg hunt. Through the barn, into the well house into the gas house, around the smoke house, etc. We probably had around 50 or so and we gave eggs to the neighbors. Meat for dinner was assured and chicken and dumplings were a almost weekly affair.

I got paid a quarter to shovel the chicken crap out of my uncles coop. Just don't use too much to fertilize the tomato plants or they will absolutely burn up. I know this for a fact and may well result in a switchin'. Adrian Peterson type abuse without the abuse part. It's a very good fertilizer that's best tilled into the soil sparingly.

Get a rooster. You'll enjoy waking up to nature's sounds..........at ****ing sunrise.....every damn day. Just don't get a queer rooster. They sound different. Instead of
"cock-a-doodle-dooo" you'll hear "any-cock'll dooooo".

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My parents and grandparents have had chickens most of their lives and I grew up with them. My uncle had a coop but ours were "free range". We'd never heard that term but I do know that every day was an Easter egg hunt. Through the barn, into the well house into the gas house, around the smoke house, etc. We probably had around 50 or so and we gave eggs to the neighbors. Meat for dinner was assured and chicken and dumplings were a almost weekly affair.

I got paid a quarter to shovel the chicken crap out of my uncles coop. Just don't use too much to fertilize the tomato plants or they will absolutely burn up. I know this for a fact and may well result in a switchin'. Adrian Peterson type abuse without the abuse part. It's a very good fertilizer that's best tilled into the soil sparingly.

Get a rooster. You'll enjoy waking up to nature's sounds..........at ****ing sunrise.....every damn day. Just don't get a queer rooster. They sound different. Instead of
Now that right there is funny :laughing:

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
besides the chicken picklet everywhere, they definitely keep the bugs down. I miss having them.

·
Banned
6,799 Posts

I had 2 Black Astrolorp Roosters.
Thought they were Good Buds.
The Smaller one Killed Junk.
Was pissed.
Reggie Killed Junk Gunny.
****er.

Take photos later.
Weekend almost here.
Put here on 69's thread.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Chris

You always try adding something interesting into your life my friend! Some sound advice so far from the DC crew.

Best of luck
John

·
Registered
523 Posts
Real Chicken Mafia .
They gang up and kill the one thet don't like at all.
That's no lie!

I seen one get shot and within what couldn't of been more than a second or two, two chickens ran over and started pecking and clawing at it while it was on the ground. Very strange, almost like they sensed the weakness and took off after it.

·
Banned
6,799 Posts
I finished taking photos for You '69'.
Give me a while to upload to photobucket & post on DC Here.
Took plenty.
Past few winters were very harsh as you know.
I tend to overbuild all.
But glad I did.
Coop still standing and didn't blow away or apart.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts