Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting strange noises from my front suspension (the rear I think is halfshaft splines needing lube) and need to know what the chances are that I have a leaf spring going.

I looked underneath and noticed that on the driver's side, there appears to be very minor (1 layer?) delamination. It looks like the fibers have torn and are peeling from the spring. There aren't many but I would assume once the fiberglass starts delaminating, it is going to continue.

I also notice a clean mark on the sway bar that would be consistent with it rubbing on the control arm but as much as I cycle the suspension, I cannot get the sway bar anywhere near the control arm.

Comments? Suggestions? I have put 10,000 miles on this car but have only had it a little under 2 months. I'm still learning the ins and outs of Corvettes.

Thanks,
Rad

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
It is possible to have the spring come apart. Post up some pics and let us take a look at it. If it is the spring, you might consider a coil over set up. The suspension can do some strange things when compacted at speed and hitting a pot hole. It will move more than you can move it by hand

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is possible to have the spring come apart. Post up some pics and let us take a look at it. If it is the spring, you might consider a coil over set up. The suspension can do some strange things when compacted at speed and hitting a pot hole. It will move more than you can move it by hand
If it is the spring, I am planning to do the pfadt coil-overs. I didn't get a chance to call but will be asking if I can get the front 2 now and then do the rears at a later time. The reason for that is that my warranty will probably pay for the coil-overs rather than having to pay for another spring.

The noises are happening at low speed when I go into my driveway. I have a 3" tall speed bump that I cross at an angle and I can hear it then. I can hear the noises when cycling the suspension by hand. I am getting almost full travel when I cycle the suspension by hand and there is a good inch between the sway bar and control arm.

So spring delamination is not unheard of? Would you say it is common?

I''ll try to get a picture posted but it will probably be Monday or Tuesday before I can get it on the rack again.

Rad

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I have more pictures but they are a pain in the a$$ to load so email me if you would like to see them.

Rad

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
I wouldn't say it is a common problem. Are you sure your warranty would pay for coilovers instead of replacement of the spring?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I'm not sure that they will do anything. What I am hoping is that they will ask for an estimate to repair and then allow the shop to order the parts not to exceed a certain authorization. I will then break out the wallet and cover whatever is not covered by warranty. I have a private warranty, not GM, so I think there is a little more room to work than there might be with GM.

I am also hoping that the shop I am working with will be able to let me do the work myself. The owner is a friend of mine and won't care as long as he does not have to certify that he is the one that completed the repairs. I'm sure there is a way to do it, I just have to be creative.

I have not heard that this is a common failure, but after hearing all the good things about Pfadt, I would hate to throw a factory replacement part in so that it can do the same thing. Especially considering the price for the spring is around $600. With labor, that would go a long way toward the coil-overs.

Rad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts