Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with a C6 with XM... how is the sound quality in your car compared to regular radio? Regular radio and CDs sound great, XM is like you adjust the bass and treble all the way down. :WTF Sounds shitty, like the stereo in my 10 yr old truck.

Anyone know what's wrong with my car? Help please

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine's the same.....

Anyone with a C6 with XM... how is the sound quality in your car compared to regular radio? Regular radio and CDs sound great, XM is like you adjust the bass and treble all the way down. :WTF Sounds shitty, like the stereo in my 10 yr old truck.

Anyone know what's wrong with my car? Help please
...mind you - I only listen to 40's and Baseball so it doesn't affect me too much. I'd also like to know if this is the norm.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Regular radio and CDs sound great, XM is like you adjust the bass and treble all the way down. Sounds shitty, like the stereo in my 10 yr old truck.
Same result in my 06 C6, I didn't renew, my XM for this very reason. Its espeicaly bad in the mountains and canyons... :WTF

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
the whole radio sucks in my 07 z compared to my 01 coup. my opine was that the 07,s sat. was better than fm,but i still didnt renew,i just burn cd,s and play them.i would have bought the z without a radio cuz i wanted 505 hp.check the manual there is a button to push for stronger signal i think

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know I am in the minority based on what I read on the various boards, but I am very satisfied with both the sound system in my C6, and with XM radio. Perhaps it's because I grew up listening to AM radio, 45s and LPs, and 4 track tapes, I don't know.

I think it is wrong to expect concert hall sound quality in a two door sports car-too many variables for any sound system to really control. I enjoy the variety I can get ftom the XM, the lack of commercials, and the ability to have balanced sound while switching from AM to FM to XM to CDs. (I am not thump-mobile kind of person so the ability to change the rythm of my heartbeat with my car radio it not a pre-requisite to judging whether a sound system is good or not).

You may consider me an old foggie (my wife certainly does not) but I love every minute in my C6 with "the radio blastin going crusin just as fast as we can now!":buhbye:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think it is wrong to expect concert hall sound quality in a two door sports car-too many variables for any sound system to really control. I enjoy the variety I can get ftom the XM, the lack of commercials, and the ability to have balanced sound while switching from AM to FM to XM to CDs.
I agree with you about how good XM Radio is - I have three recievers (home, office and car) and find it difficult to listen to normal radio with tedious adverts every few minutes.

I just find it a little frustrating that the sound quality of the XM is not as good as the FM or CD's. I'd have thought there should be no difference - there certainly wasn't in my previous car and that connected to my speakers through one of those fake cassette things with a wire dangling out.

Just wondering if there's something wrong with my system? :huh:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've got a touch screen DVD in my other car with an XM module for it, sounds awesome.

There's 2 different sound "processors" i'd say for XM radio's. GM uses a software in the headunit to get the signal, whereas if you were to buy an aftermarket XM module it would be a seperate hardware processor (buy a deck, then add XM to it).

The difference in sound quality is very noticeable in both, with the software type having a raspier sound to it.

The Corvette and my CTS's XM radio sound the same, low quality sound. I'm guessing GM just hasn't moved up to newer generation hardware for XM.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for everyone's input. sucks that XM sounds this way for everyone. You would think in a $50-60k car, GM could get thier **** together long enough to provide good sound . I know there are some audiophiles on this site, any of you have any suggestions as to what I can do to improve the sound on my stock Bose system? thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know I am in the minority based on what I read on the various boards, but I am very satisfied with both the sound system in my C6, and with XM radio. Perhaps it's because I grew up listening to AM radio, 45s and LPs, and 4 track tapes, I don't know.

I think it is wrong to expect concert hall sound quality in a two door sports car-too many variables for any sound system to really control. I enjoy the variety I can get ftom the XM, the lack of commercials, and the ability to have balanced sound while switching from AM to FM to XM to CDs. (I am not thump-mobile kind of person so the ability to change the rythm of my heartbeat with my car radio it not a pre-requisite to judging whether a sound system is good or not).

You may consider me an old foggie (my wife certainly does not) but I love every minute in my C6 with "the radio blastin going crusin just as fast as we can now!":buhbye:
:agree: :cheers: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Speaking of XM and radios, does any think that the radio is too quiet? I find that only CDs are loud enough for my taste when driving on the highway with the roof off. The XM is too quiet as is my iPod with the FM transmitter. Anyone have any solutions for this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have not renewed my XM either. Low volume, crappy sound, non interesting programing and more and more ads creeping in. Back to CD's for me.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If I understand correctly the technology, the greatest problem with satellite radio -- XM or Sirius -- is that the audio data are sampled and transmitted from the satellite at a low rate. For example, the rate of sampling is lower than CD quality.

This low rate is necessary to cram all 170+ channels into the satellite signal. The result is that massive amounts of audio data can be received by your car -- and searched by you on demand -- but in return you accept a lower rate of audio quality.

If somebody knows better than I about this technical description, I'd like to hear from you. And probably others here on DC would like to hear from you as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Xm

I too have tghe Xm in my C6. The sound ins't too bad if you crank it up. I won't probably renew mine because the progamming sucks. I have a home Sirius and the programmin is much better. I down load songs from Napster and play them with a FM transmitter or put in a CD. The Bose system in the C6 is a waste of money

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did not renew my XM after the free three months. The sound is terrible. The odd thing is that XM keeps billing me for a renewed contract. When I called they said it is my responsibility to call them and specify that I did not want to renew. How can they expect me to cancel something I never ordered in the first place?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I haven't had the chance to give a critical ear to XM, but the times I have sampled Sirius, the quality has been very good if not excellent.

Now that the two are merging I will probably have to give it another listen at some point to make sure they haven't compromised on sound quality.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My XM is equivalent to a CD.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My XM is equivalent to a CD.
:toilet Bummer - I wish mine was!

I have had XM for ages but it does seem to be going downhill - I heard a commercial on the 40's Station (where there aren't supposed to be any)yesterday so I rang XM to cancel one of my Radio's as a show of defiance - didn't need it anyway as we can listen to XM at home on Direct TV and at work over the Internet.

Despite the poor sound quality I would be lost without XM because of the baseball channels but if commercials are going to get as bad as terrestrial radio then I'm going to stick with CD's. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I understand correctly the technology, the greatest problem with satellite radio -- XM or Sirius -- is that the audio data are sampled and transmitted from the satellite at a low rate. For example, the rate of sampling is lower than CD quality.

This low rate is necessary to cram all 170+ channels into the satellite signal. The result is that massive amounts of audio data can be received by your car -- and searched by you on demand -- but in return you accept a lower rate of audio quality.

If somebody knows better than I about this technical description, I'd like to hear from you. And probably others here on DC would like to hear from you as well.
Exactly right. Sirius uses a different system where the sampling rate actually varies depending on bandwidth demans on the system from second to second.
Essentially, you get roughly mp3 quality from both satellite providers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts