Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing my new MOOG K6034 and K6035 ball joints this morning, but the upper ball joint didn't have an instruction sheet in the box. Does anyone know the torque values for the 3 bolts holding the ball joint to the arm?

on the castle nuts I'm planning to use the torques specified in the AIM.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Tight enough that they don't come loose, but not so tight as to break the bolts. :thumbsup:

:laughing:

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
I'm having the upper ball joints done today. You had mentioned in another thread why I didn't do them myself. The control arm has to be heated and the ball joint has to be kept in a freezer until the very second it goes in. Plus you have to press it in. Wow!!! GM said this was a non serviceable item, that it would never wear out.:crazy: I'm going for the Moog lowers when I have to replace them. The C3 seems to be easier. Good luck on the project.

Jr.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm having the upper ball joints done today. You had mentioned in another thread why I didn't do them myself. The control arm has to be heated and the ball joint has to be kept in a freezer until the very second it goes in. Plus you have to press it in. Wow!!! GM said this was a non serviceable item, that it would never wear out.:crazy: I'm going for the Moog lowers when I have to replace them. The C3 seems to be easier. Good luck on the project.

Jr.
I've never really understood the benefit of press-in ball joints, but they seem to be common from various automakers. :huh:

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
on the castle nuts I'm planning to use the torques specified in the AIM.
speaking of torque specs in the AIM, mine seems to show 40-60 lb-in for the upper ball joint castle nut. Same spec as the grease zerks. :crazy:

It says the lower ball joint nut should be at 70-95 lb-ft with a max of 125 when the slot is lined up for the cotter pin.

--- Edit ---

Looks like I found what I was looking for in the back of the Chassis Service Manual. It shows the following torques under the Spherical Joint category:

Upper Stud Nut: 50 ft-lbs
Lower Stud Nut: 80 ft-lbs
Stud to Control Arm Nuts (Service): 20 ft-lbs
Lower Forging Nut: 40 ft-lbs

So the "stud nuts" would be the castle nuts and I'm assuming the "stud to control arm nuts" would be the three bolts holding the joint into the arm. I suppose the "service" note is included because they were riveted in from the factory and this torque would only be relevant on a ball joint replacement. And finally, the "lower forging nut" would probably be the nut on top of the lower ball joint that goes on the stud protruding through the top of the lower control arm? :huh:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
When I first read this thread I was thinking 35 ft lbs. I was going to look it up when I got home, in my notes, from when I did mine.

Amusing, I wrote 20, scratched it out, then wrote 35, and that's how I ended up installing them.

For the life of me I can't recall how I came up with 35 ft lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts