Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet annother one I should know but am having a brain fart. All SBC 350's, it the 0* mark on the ballancer supposed to line up on the keyway for the crank?

·
Banned
201 Posts
No, for our cars the keyway lines up with about the 5 deg. mark. not all sbc have the same markings either, some cars have them in a different location.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
All I know of is there are 2 differant sizes of dampers....6" and 8"

and all the SBC's I have had work on, they all pretty much lined up between the mark and the keyway....afterall the keyway is 3/16/close in width, so takes your pick....:crazy: :laughing:

I not aware of the timing marks ever moving on the chain cover, or any aftermarket ones....otherwise, how would anyone ever replace a balancer?? have to know which crank/etc was in the engine/etc....not possible to do...

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, is that a Yes?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
UUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, no

They changed the location of the timing mark in relation to the keyway in the late 80's. FOund that one out the hard way. Don't know why they did it, maybe some cars the pointer had to be in a different spot. Maybe because of the serpentine belt? But they are different. Interchangeable as far as balance goes, but the timing marks are in different places.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so early 80's and back the keyway and hash mark almost line up?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
That's what I recall. Early stuff the keyway and the mark were really close. Stick the balancer on without the timing cover, just enough to catch the key, with the timing marks on the cam & crank either in the #6 or #1 position, hold the tab up there and see how far it's off, if it is.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, thats what I was remembering. But I ran up on one that didn't line up, hash mark at 6 and keyway at 1 or so. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't remembering BS. Thanks Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts