Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets Hunt Bambi

Groups Protest "Bambi" Paintball

LAS VEGAS (July 17) - Outraged by a Las Vegas company that claims to offer men a chance to stalk and shoot naked women in the Nevada desert with paintball guns, women's groups and government agencies were scrambling to find a way to shut down such "Bambi" hunts.

"As soon as I found out about this, I called for an investigation," Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman said. "Las Vegas is a place where anything goes, but this crosses the line if this is real."

Real Men Outdoor Productions Inc., insists it is doing nothing illegal and only providing another variety of adult entertainment in a city celebrated for sin.

But critics, some of whom maintain that the hunts may be a hoax to drum up publicity for sales of a "Hunting for Bambi" video, say it should be shut down.

The company has a Las Vegas business license to sell a $20 video of hunters chasing nude women through the woods as a spoof on hunting videos that feature men hunting deer.

That video was staged, Real Men spokesman David Krekelberg said, but it gave rise to the idea of hosting hunts with paintball guns and charging men $10,000 for such weekend tours.

Krekelberg said the company has so far hosted 18 "Bambi" hunts in undisclosed locations around Las Vegas. In each, a hunter faces off with two women dressed in nothing but sneakers, each of whom receive $1,000 and can earn up to $2,500 if they make it through the hour without being struck by the paintball, he said.

But Jodi Tyson, director of the Nevada Coalition Against Sexual Violence called the "Bambi" hunts offensive, dangerous and exploitative.

The world's largest paintball products maker, Brass Eagle Inc, has also protested the hunts.

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management is also looking into speculation that the hunts have taken place without permits on public property. About 90 percent of Nevada is owned by the federal government.

"In our patrol of the lands, if they're out there without a permit and we find them, we would cite them," BLM spokeswoman Jo Simpson said.

Krekelberg denied that any of the hunts had occurred on federal property, saying only that they occur on private estates in southern Nevada. He refused to say where out of fear of sabotage, noting that "there are nuts out there who would come in and throw a wrench in there."

He also asserted the women were not being mistreated, noting that they can wear goggles and helmets for protection if they wish.

07/17/03 21:55 ET

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
That does'nt seem fair, how come they get sneakers. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
raidmagic said:
My father-in-law just got back from Las Vegas and told us about this. It was actually talked about on the morning news.
That's just crazy. Never in my entire life have I thought of hunting a naked human being.

Who are these people?!:(

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I don't want to sound like a prude, and I'm certainly not in the women's libber camp, but that's just purely disgusting.

The women should be sent home so their daddy can kick their ass, and the guys should spend three days in the old fashioned stockade where people can douse them with rotten vegetables.

The promoters need their current business license(if any) revoked and no future license of any kind given to them. And that's after they serve time for crimes against humanity.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,410 Posts
I don't think some people aren't playing with a full deck. Those are very bad girls that would run around the woods with nothing on but sneakers. I have a mind to find them and put them over my knee and spank them :laughing:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Just amazing, they call this exploitive! Look at the whole freakin Las Vegas area! Billboards, signs on the back of cabs, people handing out sex for sale flyers on street corners and this is Expoitation?? WAKE UP FOLKS!!!!!!!!
Let's just rename that town sccchwwiiinnggg city!

There are too many sicko's in this country.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://msnbc.com/news/940748.asp

July 25 — A Las Vegas company’s claims that it was charging men up to $10,000 to “hunt” naked women with paintball guns were bogus, aimed at selling videotapes of the staged pursuits, the city announced Friday at the conclusion of an investigation.
WHILE THE HOAX may have generated sales of the videotapes, it also led Las Vegas officials to cite mastermind Michael Burdick for conducting business without a city license.
“We have jail space and judges who take this type of conduct seriously in the city of Las Vegas,” Mayor Oscar Goodman said in a statement.
Burdick admitted to city investigators that the “hunting” of women, which was advertised on the huntingforbambi.com Web site, “was not truly a service the company offered,” the statement said. “Actors and actresses were paid to participate in the staged videotaped ‘hunts’ in order for Burdick’s business to profit from the sales of those videos.”
The company’s alleged activities first surfaced two weeks ago, when a Las Vegas television station aired a report featuring footage from what it identified as one of the hunts and interviewed both a hunter and his “prey,” one of whom said that she cried after being hit in the posterior by one of the paint-loaded pellets.
The KLAS-TV report attracted little attention until July 15, when paintball equipment manufacturer Brass Eagle Inc. issued a press release denouncing the concept and calling on local officials to investigate whether the hunts endanger the women’s health and welfare.

PAINTBALL FIRM’S CONDEMNATION
“We condemn this irresponsible activity and do not endorse or condone the use of paintball products for such activities,” said Lynn Scott, president of the Bentonville, Ark., firm.
Goodman also was alarmed. “As soon as I found out about this, I called for an investigation,” he said at the time. “Las Vegas is a place where anything goes, but this crosses the line if this is real.”
Advertisement

Questions were raised almost immediately about the veracity of the company’s claims. Snopes.com, which researches so-called urban legends, noted that the huntingforbambi.com Web site lacked proper contact information and stated that some readers who sent e-mail expressing interest in booking a hunt received no reply to their inquiries.
But David Krekelberg, who responded to an e-mail inquiry from MSNBC.com the day after the paintball company lodged its protest, insisted they were real.
Krekelberg acknowledged that the company was formed to market a hunting spoof videotape, but he said that the tape sales had shown there was a market for real armed pursuits and claimed the company had conducted about 20 pursuits, most of them in the desert outside Las Vegas.

‘LIKE A GAME SHOW’
“It’s basically like a game show,” he said. “There’s a whistle, and maybe 20 minutes to an hour later, we have a girl with a big red welt on her butt, or maybe none.”
He said the women were paid inversely to the pain they experience — $1,000 if they get shot and $2,500 if they don’t — to give them added incentive to elude their armed pursuers. He said they were given the option of wearing protective gear on their eyes and head and that the hunters were barred from shooting the women above the waist.

• KVBC Las Vegas: Mayor says Bambi tapes are hoax

The KLAS piece on the hunts that aired last week included criticism from clinical psychologist Marv Glovinsky, who told the station that the game could be dangerous for men who can not distinguish fantasy from reality and could lead them to act out violence against women.
“If you’re blurring reality and fantasy and you can’t make the distinction, and your emotions overpower your intellect or your higher mental function, you’re going to get into trouble,” he told the station. “And if you have control problems to boot, that’s really going to cause problems.”
Krekelberg said that the TV piece had unleashed a torrent of criticism that he and his colleagues were degrading women, a charge he vigorously denied despite the inclusion on the company’s Web site of photos of nude women “mounted” on walls much as a deer would be after being killed.
“The women who think this is abusive and degrading need to put their attention where it should be, and I think that’s Afghanistan,” said Krekelberg. “We love our girls. Why do you think we pay them so much? There are desperate people in this town who could be taken advantage of. We choose not to do that.”

1 - 8 of 8 Posts