Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATE: Jacobini and her lawyer, Matthew Weidner, told MSNBC's Dylan Ratigan that Jacobini "is not in foreclosure at all." An earlier report from WFTV incorrectly stated that she was in foreclosure. Scroll down to watch.

In their zeal to complete foreclosure proceedings, some banks send representatives to change the locks on properties in foreclosure, even as they remain occupied. The incidents of lock-changing pile further skepticism on a process recently plagued by scandal.

A contractor for JPMorgan Chase changed the front door lock on a woman's home in Orange County, Florida, as she hid out of fear in her bathroom, Eyewitness News reports. The woman, Nancy Jacobini, was reportedly three months behind on her mortgage and her home was reportedly in foreclosure, but, according to Eyewitness News, the bank isn't legally allowed to change the locks on an occupied home.

The lock-changing strategy is intended to protect a property's value, since owners experiencing foreclosure often abandon their homes, leaving them vulnerable, notes Sarasota's Herald Tribune. To Jacobini, the bank representative seemed like an intruder, and she called the police.

"I'm locked in my bathroom," she said on a 911 call. "Somebody broke into my house!"

Sarasota's Herald Tribune reports similar cases: Renters in a Florida home apparently in foreclosure came home from the beach to find the locks changed -- and some of their possessions stolen. And a Sarasota landlord, the Herald Tribune reports, said Bank of America tried to change the locks on her condominium three times, even though she said the building wasn't even in foreclosure -- an often lengthy process that usually involves a default notice, a scheduled auction and, finally, a bank repossession.

As the Herald Tribune notes, the legal action against lock-changers has been civil, not criminal, because lawyers cannot establish that the banks have criminal intent. Still, it appears that the banks' agents take illegal liberties: In the rented Florida home, lock-changers reportedly stole a laptop, an mp3 player and six bottles of wine.

Bank representatives sometimes change locks even before foreclosure proceedings begin, Florida's Palm Beach Post reports. Since banks hire local companies to change locks, the paper notes, it's often difficult to figure out who has actually done the lock-changing and on whose authority.

As GMAC, JPMorgan Chase and Bank of America suspend foreclosure proceedings because of doubts about the legitimacy of some foreclosure documents, the nation's foreclosure process could face a massive stall, which in turn could further hinder a housing market recovery.

More Americans lost their homes to foreclosure in August than in any other month on record, as banks repossessed 25 percent more homes that month than in August of last year."

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
UPDATE: Jacobini and her lawyer, Matthew Weidner, told MSNBC's Dylan Ratigan that Jacobini "is not in foreclosure at all." An earlier report from WFTV incorrectly stated that she was in foreclosure. Scroll down to watch.

In their zeal to complete foreclosure proceedings, some banks send representatives to change the locks on properties in foreclosure, even as they remain occupied. The incidents of lock-changing pile further skepticism on a process recently plagued by scandal.

A contractor for JPMorgan Chase changed the front door lock on a woman's home in Orange County, Florida, as she hid out of fear in her bathroom, Eyewitness News reports. The woman, Nancy Jacobini, was reportedly three months behind on her mortgage and her home was reportedly in foreclosure, but, according to Eyewitness News, the bank isn't legally allowed to change the locks on an occupied home.

The lock-changing strategy is intended to protect a property's value, since owners experiencing foreclosure often abandon their homes, leaving them vulnerable, notes Sarasota's Herald Tribune. To Jacobini, the bank representative seemed like an intruder, and she called the police.

"I'm locked in my bathroom," she said on a 911 call. "Somebody broke into my house!"

Sarasota's Herald Tribune reports similar cases: Renters in a Florida home apparently in foreclosure came home from the beach to find the locks changed -- and some of their possessions stolen. And a Sarasota landlord, the Herald Tribune reports, said Bank of America tried to change the locks on her condominium three times, even though she said the building wasn't even in foreclosure -- an often lengthy process that usually involves a default notice, a scheduled auction and, finally, a bank repossession.

As the Herald Tribune notes, the legal action against lock-changers has been civil, not criminal, because lawyers cannot establish that the banks have criminal intent. Still, it appears that the banks' agents take illegal liberties: In the rented Florida home, lock-changers reportedly stole a laptop, an mp3 player and six bottles of wine.

Bank representatives sometimes change locks even before foreclosure proceedings begin, Florida's Palm Beach Post reports. Since banks hire local companies to change locks, the paper notes, it's often difficult to figure out who has actually done the lock-changing and on whose authority.

As GMAC, JPMorgan Chase and Bank of America suspend foreclosure proceedings because of doubts about the legitimacy of some foreclosure documents, the nation's foreclosure process could face a massive stall, which in turn could further hinder a housing market recovery.

More Americans lost their homes to foreclosure in August than in any other month on record, as banks repossessed 25 percent more homes that month than in August of last year."
The bank is wrong.
I know there are exceptions but I have been screwed by indigent tenants and I think the law needs to change. There is nothing more frustrating than someone living in your house, that stops paying you, and meanwhile you are still paying for insurance and a mortgage.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I'd love to see someone call the sheriff

and press charges on these crooks

They are just doing what they know best,

Breaking the Law and Bending the rules,

If anyone see's them entering a home call the police :thumbsup: :laughing:

Yeah ! :nuts:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The banks are wrong if they are doing this type of crap. They should use the law as intended. If someone stops paying then yes they should be out. But not like that.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know there are exceptions but I have been screwed by indigent tenants and I think the law needs to change. There is nothing more frustrating than someone living in your house, that stops paying you, and meanwhile you are still paying for insurance and a mortgage.
Yeah but that the funky world of renters.

These banks make no insurance payments, turn off utils, and get to keep your down payment.:laughing:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...dam, someone trying to come in my locked door just might
find their hands and knees about to be inoperable....:laughing:
Sad part is....
These guys that come t change the locks are some cheap flunky property managment or reo service emloyee that makes less than a pizza delivery kid.

He's just a worker ant for the big bank machine.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Yeah but that the funky world of renters.

These banks make no insurance payments, turn off utils, and get to keep your down payment.:laughing:

You are correct, it's part of the buisness.

Part of my rental "rate" is based on my perception of
risk. Everyone pays more because the law favors the have-nots.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
ONE simple solution to this mess.......

Pay your damn mortgage! :spanked:

I've never had a stranger show up at my door to change the locks. ;)

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
This story is going to turn out to be bullshit. At the minimum... the articular has let out key pieces of information, making it look like a representative hired by the lender, is breaking and entering... and changing locks.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This story is going to turn out to be bullshit. At the minimum... the articular has let out key pieces of information, making it look like a representative hired by the lender, is breaking and entering... and changing locks.
just like this one?

Lose your house, lose your vote.

"Meanwhile the Republican Party, led by this crew of rich, out-of-touch "homies" is preparing to deny the right to vote to Midwesterners who have already suffered from home foreclosures.

I'm not kidding. Republican Party officials in states like Michigan and Ohio have admitted that they are preparing to challenge voters at the polls, using home foreclosure data--the idea being that if your home has been foreclosed upon, of course you had to move, which means your address has changed and you are vulnerable to being challenged at the polls!

According to the Michigan Messenger (with a tip of the hat to lefarkins blog), Michigan's Macomb County GOP Chair, James Carabelli, was very clear: "We will have a list of foreclosed homes and will make sure people aren't voting from those addresses." And according to David Rosenfeld at Miller-McCune, "Franklin County Election Director and County GOP Chairman Doug Preisse told reporters he didn't rule out challenges before November, particularly because of increased home foreclosures..."

Fortunately, the Obama Campaign is on the ball, as usual, and has already filed suit to block the Republicans from illegally and shamefully using home foreclosure lists to deny voting rights."

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
just like this one?

Lose your house, lose your vote.

"Meanwhile the Republican Party, led by this crew of rich, out-of-touch "homies" is preparing to deny the right to vote to Midwesterners who have already suffered from home foreclosures.

I'm not kidding. Republican Party officials in states like Michigan and Ohio have admitted that they are preparing to challenge voters at the polls, using home foreclosure data--the idea being that if your home has been foreclosed upon, of course you had to move, which means your address has changed and you are vulnerable to being challenged at the polls!

According to the Michigan Messenger (with a tip of the hat to lefarkins blog), Michigan's Macomb County GOP Chair, James Carabelli, was very clear: "We will have a list of foreclosed homes and will make sure people aren't voting from those addresses." And according to David Rosenfeld at Miller-McCune, "Franklin County Election Director and County GOP Chairman Doug Preisse told reporters he didn't rule out challenges before November, particularly because of increased home foreclosures..."

Fortunately, the Obama Campaign is on the ball, as usual, and has already filed suit to block the Republicans from illegally and shamefully using home foreclosure lists to deny voting rights."
Ummm..If you've moved, you must register the new address. What's the issue??? :huh:

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
On the flip side; my previous landlord stopped paying mortgage in December 2008, was and is a shitty landlord.

As a tenant she would call me at 5pm of the day I was supposed if she didn't have the check and would drive over to pick up the check for the rent the same day.

To this day she still has not paid a single $ to her mortgage and her house still has a tenant that is not getting anything from her - although he pays on time every month.

Sorry but there are some rogues out there screwing the banks too.

a++ Cedric

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Ummm..If you've moved, you must register the new address. What's the issue??? :huh:
Bingo !

Still think it's "a crew of rich, out-of-touch "homies"" ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts