Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just drove the car on Saturday, now today it is flat dead. The battery was just replaced, under warranty, March 24th by the dealership in NY. :WTF

AAARRRGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
When the dealer had the car in March, what kind of troubleshooting did they perform to determine WHY the battery died?

Did they measure leakage current? Load test on the battery? Charging system performance?

All these things could have an effect, and should have been checked.

Steven

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The NY dealer never stated he did any checks, but they did replace the battery. The dealer down here did check for current leakage(none) and and load tested the battery(OK). He doesn't think anything other than it went dead. They charged it and it appears to be working properly.

If it happens again I will repost.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You might wanna check how your battery drain is. Most vehicles should have a "normal" battery drain of 0.05 Volts. If you have a DVOM, (Digital Volt and Ohm Meter) you can check this yourself. Unhook the negative batter cable, stick the POS. post of the DVOM to the Negative terminal on the battery. Now put the NEG. post of the DVOM to the unhooked NEG. wire. It will give you a solid reading, wait about 30 sec. for the computer to adjust, and you'll get your correct reading. If the Voltmeter reads more than 0.9 (which is the limit). That could be a significant problem. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Go down the $150 for an Optima red top. Best battery ever made. Had one in my Celica since 2002 never died, always cranked, never recharged.

·
Registered
425 Posts
curious...

Go down the $150 for an Optima red top. Best battery ever made. Had one in my Celica since 2002 never died, always cranked, never recharged.

So what's the scoop on this problem? did GM get a bad batch of batteries and send them to the Bowling Green plant?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Get a Priority Start. I've had one on my 05 for over a year and haven't had a dead battery since.

·
Registered
347 Posts
So what's the scoop on this problem? did GM get a bad batch of batteries and send them to the Bowling Green plant?
Not sure and to be honest with you, i drop an Optima in every vehicle i buy. Why? Because i don't know how long a car has been sitting on a lot or what as been done with it.

By doing that i KNOW that i have a reliable battery that wont take a **** on me a month after i buy a car.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The new optima batteries are pretty nice. But the only thing that differs them from the electrolyte batteries, is the CCA(cold cranking amps). Original batteries have Neg and Pos plates in them, along with the optima(dry cell)'s. The dry cells have a more cranking output because the Neg and Pos plates are rolled up into cylinders, thus giving much greater surface area of the plates. More surface area=more cranking amps.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
347 Posts
The new optima batteries are pretty nice. But the only thing that differs them from the electrolyte batteries, is the CCA(cold cranking amps). Original batteries have Neg and Pos plates in them, along with the optima(dry cell)'s. The dry cells have a more cranking output because the Neg and Pos plates are rolled up into cylinders, thus giving much greater surface area of the plates. More surface area=more cranking amps.:thumbsup:
Yes. I don't know why more Vette owners get Optima batteries.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Optimas can also be installed at virtually any angle - came in handy in my hot rod install. I use them in my cars to avoid potential damage if the alternator ever overcharges the battery - that really makes a mess. Does the red top Optima have enough power for all the electronics on the C6 or would a yellow top be better? I'm getting ready to replace the stock battery with an Optima and the yellow top matches my car but I'm not sure I understand the difference between the two battteries. I've used the red top on my other vehicles for a few years and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yes. I don't know why more Vette owners get Optima batteries.
Because factory battery should last atleast 2.5 to 3 years here where I live in the desert. No need to spend extra money that you already paid for when you bought a brand new car. When it dies after that I will get Optima battery not until then. By the way, I never had any battery problem with my vette after 1.5 years.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I hate to be a stickler for details...but Optima batteries are not "dry cells". My red top is leaking electrolyte at this moment and will be replaced this afternoon...I was under the impression they were "gel cells" but at least the red tops are not - they use "spiral cell" technology but still contain liquid electrolyte like other lead-acid batteries. Its the configuration of the lead "plates" that make them different and less susceptible to damage from jarring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts