Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '87 convertible with an electrical problem. The battery discharges totally in two days if the car is not driven. The battery is new, the alternator is operating properly, and when driven, everything appears normal. Obviously there is a power drain with the ignition switch "off". I connected an analog amp meter inline with the pos anode of the battery and with the ignition off, measured about a 5 amp drain on the battery. I would appreciate any suggestions where to start looking for a power drain of this magnitude.

·
Registered
283 Posts
With the meter in place, start pulling fuses. When the meter drops significantly, you will be on the right track.This will narrow it down to a circuit. 5 amps is alot. Are you sure there isn't a light or two on somewhere?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Does your horn work? I had the horn relay stick on me they unpluged the horns to stop the noise. the insulater under the spring for the stering wheel was missing. If not check your battery cables.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
With the meter in place, start pulling fuses. When the meter drops significantly, you will be on the right track.This will narrow it down to a circuit. 5 amps is alot. Are you sure there isn't a light or two on somewhere?
Cheetah's right on. When you isolate the circuit with the high drain, let us know how we can help.

Steven

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have that exact same problem on my 1991, it kills the battery completely in two days. What was ur solution Foxx7?

·
Registered
752 Posts
i have the same problem with my 87 vert. so i just leave a trickle charger on it whenever its not being driven.

but if you figure it out, let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please help

Does your horn work? I had the horn relay stick on me they unpluged the horns to stop the noise. the insulater under the spring for the stering wheel was missing. If not check your battery cables.:thumbsup:
HI Nicko I just bought an 89 corvette vert to replace an 84.

I have purchased a new alternator but the battery is running just low enough after two day not start car, Battery checked out fine if tommorrw the new allternator proves to be ok...

Then I must say the horn does not work I bought a relay but before I take everything apart I decided to pull off the horn button and the small tower that the yellow spring wire is supposed to go into is broken.

I have never heard my horn go off when I tryed the alarm (but security lights do flash, but car can start). anyway if I pull the 5 amp fuse to the horn could that stop the drain? until I can fix relay and tower?

·
Registered
914 Posts
When I bought my 1988 vette last year it had the same problem. I started pulling fuses and still could not find the source of the drain. It turned out to be the passenger side door jamb switch. After the car sat for a while the interior lights would come back on. I found that the switch was sliding back into the threaded portion of the switch. I have never seen this happen before and I have been a mechanic for over twenty years. Most corvette owners should go bald for scratching our heads trying to figure the things out. It sounds like this is a common problem I hope you figure yours out and share your fix with us. Good Luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
440 Posts
battery drain

Sometimes if you cant find the parasitic draw on an electrical circuit you may have a bad diode.To check use a digital volt ohm meter.Set the meter to AC volts.Check the B+ connection on the alternator.Shouldnt have more than 1/2 (.5) volts with all the loads turned on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow

When I bought my 1988 vette last year it had the same problem. I started pulling fuses and still could not find the source of the drain. It turned out to be the passenger side door jamb switch. After the car sat for a while the interior lights would come back on. I found that the switch was sliding back into the threaded portion of the switch. I have never seen this happen before and I have been a mechanic for over twenty years. Most corvette owners should go bald for scratching our heads trying to figure the things out. It sounds like this is a common problem I hope you figure yours out and share your fix with us. Good Luck!:thumbsup:
My right door does not close all the way unless you give it a good slam I will give it some time and check if lights are coming on.

Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
:agree: I had the same problem 1985 vette,(w/ the doors) just pulled and cleaned the pins, also check the rear hatch switch, this was also causing a drain. hope this helps!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I discovered the same problem soon after bringing my 1990 home.
I kept it on the Battery Tender until I could trace the problem. I found an old after-market alarm system that was not completely removed. I spent the winter tearing out the dash to remove it along with a mile of wires.
Since then...no problems!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts