Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to undertake a Factory Five GTM project, and want to use a BCM for the cockpit controls and interface. The ECM will be an LS3 E-rod, and I mainly want the windows, lights, door mirrors, seats, passive keyless entry, info center (od, trip, ext temp, etc), and climate controls. I may also consider integrating the Navigation, bluetooth, and Stereo units. From what I have read, the 2008 C6 has all of the features and creature comforts I want to integrate into my build. I realize that this is a huge undertaking, but are there any contacts on this site that wouldn't mind discussing this with me?

About me, I'm a powertrain process Engineer at a non-GM OEM with 19 years vehicle and powertrain experience. I am familiar with PLC controls, and had actually considered just writing my own code for the lights, mirrors, seats, etc, but have since decided to add the passive keyless, Navi, and info center; and thus the retrofit looks more attractive. THen again, I might just be a glutton for punishment.......:smack

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

JT

·
Registered
535 Posts
That sounds like an awesome project :thumbsup:

Somebody should chime in soon

A little off topic but wanted to ask you if here is a good product out there to integrate a backup camera into the stock NAV......Most guys here have used Lockpick http://www.coastaletech.com/CORVETTEIPOD.htm

but some had problems with NAV , sound cutting out while others no problem at all.....Wondering if you might now if there is anything out there thats better?? :huh:

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
My understanding of the F5 GTM is that it is an LS2 engine and not a LS3 engine, I would suggest using an 07 BCM and not the 08 BCM that works with the LS3 engine.

This should make life easier for you :thumbsup:

Just my uneducated opinion :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

You can use a donor LS2, or the E-ROD with stand alone ECM, which I thought was an LS3. I'll look into the LS2 as well. Whichever LS I pick, it will be drysumped and putting out about 500-550 HP. 500whp would be even better.......

The backup camera in my current ride (G37 convertible) is integrated into the NAVI unti. But I don't want to use an import BCM with the GTM.

·
Registered
606 Posts
You might consider what ECM you will use to assure matching the right BCM design.
You also want to flash the 2 controllers with the functions you will be using

You would be safer with older E40 or E38 PCM ( pre 2009) and stay away from newer PCM and BCM that use Global A because a mismatch of PCM and BCM can cause no starts and other problems

GM info

There are a number of security methods in operation in the vehicles built using the Global A electrical architecture, The following definitions are intended to provide an overview of these methods.

Security Code

The purpose of the security code is to protect the vehicle's security information against tampering.

The security code is a random code, unique to each vehicle, generated at the vehicle assembly plant. The assembly plant stores the security code and the corresponding VIN for each vehicle. A correct security code match is required to allow specific vehicle theft deterrent functions to be performed. An example of this function is the learning of new key fobs to the vehicle.

Environmental ID

The purpose of the Environmental ID is to increase the time and complexity involved in attempting a vehicle theft by swapping control modules.

The Vehicle Theft Deterrent Feature provides the capability to detect if modules have been substituted, indicating a potential theft situation, and will not allow continued running of the engine in that case. The Immobilizer Master (BCM) identifies itself to the Vehicle Identification Devices (IPC, HVAC, BCM, ECM, SDM and SCLCM - if equipped). If the Immobilizer Master is recognized as correct, the Vehicle Identification Devices respond with specific environment identification.

The Immobilizer Master is required to receive a certain number of correct environment identifications in order to authorize the powertrain control module to allow normal engine operation. If the correct number is not received, even after retry, engine pre-release will expire and the engine will start, and then stall. The Security MIL and/or Driver Information Center will display an indication when the Vehicle Environment Identification check has not been successful.

Seed and Key

The purpose of Seed and Key is to protect certain control modules from unauthorized reprogramming when they are outside of the assembly plant environment.

Each control module that implements Seed and Key is manufactured with a unique seed value and a corresponding key value stored in memory. The seed is a value that is reported to a reprogramming tool. The reprogramming tool must know the matching key value to unlock the control module so that it can be programmed. The reprogramming tool then sends the matching key to the control module. If the key sent from the tool matches the key contained in the control module, then the tool is granted access to reprogram the control module or to send commands to put it in a re-learn mode for Vehicle Theft Deterrent.

There is no way to read the key value out of a control module. Secured functions can be performed only after successfully determining the key and sending it to the control module. If two incorrect keys are sent, the control module will not respond to another request for seed within 10 seconds. In addition, a control module will not respond to a request for seed within 10 seconds of the ignition turned on.

TIP: Importantly, seed and key and security code are not the same, and serve different purposes.

Radio

Although the radio is not part of the vehicle theft prevention system, the radio does have its own theft protection. The radio theft deterrent system is intended to disable or limit radio functionality if incorrect vehicle information is received by the radio.

The radio disables functionality if the VIN information received by the radio does not match the VIN information that has been learned by the radio. A possible cause of incorrect VIN information could be that the radio was originally installed in another vehicle. The radio in Global A vehicles cannot be swapped due to the inability to alter the VIN in a radio once it has been learned.

GM diagnostic strategy does not support the practice of swapping control modules during the course of diagnosis or in order to expedite a repair.

Â

Features in today's vehicles are increasingly software-configurable. They can affect vehicle safety systems, anti-theft systems, performance, and customer personalization information. Many current vehicles have one or more control modules that cannot be swapped. Additionally, models using the Global A electrical architecture (2010 Camaro, LaCrosse, Equinox, Terrain and SRX) will exhibit a variety of fault symptoms when certain control modules are swapped between vehicles. Swapping these security-related modules will cause difficult and time-consuming remediation processes that may include the purchase of new components for both vehicles.

Â

On Global A models, some modules that traditionally have had nothing to do with starting a vehicle can inhibit starting if their ID doesn't match what is stored in the BCM. For example, the SDM, HVAC, EBCM and IPC, among others, all have IDs that must match in order for the BCM to allow starting the engine. The control modules are coded to the vehicle when they are first programmed, which results in a unique ID being permanently stored in that module.

Â

The swapping issue is not unique to Global A models however, and it is increasingly difficult to keep track of which control modules cannot be swapped because it can vary depending upon electrical architecture, model, model year, sales region, vehicle option content and configuration.

Â

TIP: As far as causing issues in service, the new security scheme will not present any problems as long as control modules are not swapped.

Â

Problems Resulting from Swapping

Â

Problems can occur when a technician attempts to swap a control module configured for one vehicle into another during the course of diagnosis or in order to expedite a repair. Symptoms such as no-start conditions and DTCs that cannot be cleared are to be expected.

Â

Problems also may be introduced into vehicles that exhibit no symptoms until a later date, adding to the complexity of diagnosing the vehicle. These "sleeper issues" may be triggered only after multiple key cycles or only after battery power has been removed from the BCM. Such issues can be time consuming for the technician and Technical Assistance Center (TAC) to rectify, driving up unnecessary warranty expense and leading to customer dissatisfaction.

Â

TIP: Unlike some other modules, the radio should resume working normally once it is installed back into the vehicle from which it was taken.

Â

Symptoms of Module Swapping

Â

A variety of symptoms may appear in a Global A vehicle containing one or more control modules swapped from a like vehicle. Depending upon which control modules have been swapped, possible symptoms include:

Â

·      The VIN read by GDS and SPS does not match the vehicle.

Â

·      Current DTC B3902 - Incorrect IMMO ID Rec. set in IPC, SDM, ECM, HVAC, Steering Column Lock Control Module (if equipped) or BCM. There are no warning lamps or DIC messages and this DTC cannot be cleared.

Â

·      IPC module displays (- - -) for odometer and trip odometer values.

Â

·      Vehicle will enter power mode only if the key fobs that match the donor vehicle BCM are included in the swap.

Â

·      BCM and/or ECM has current DTC B389A - Environment Identification. There is a Service Theft System message on the DIC, the Security MIL is illuminated and this DTC cannot be cleared.

Â

·      ECM odometer value is incorrect for vehicle.

Â

·      Radio displays Locked

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you racingvette, very good info. I'm going to look into a 2007 BCM & PCM(ECM) set up. This may be just the ticket for what I am looking to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all thje feedback. I will start a thread once all is in place and the build starts. I'm still 6 mo or so out from starting. Collecting info now. My desire to use a BCM is a major issue. Once I decide to go and get the bugs woirked out, I may discuss with F5. This level of build is a bit more than typical. I may need a custom console an dash, but that is the least of my worries.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts