Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday I added a bottle of Chevron Techron additive to my car. Saturday evening I had a chance to play with a modded Camaro and a Juiced 370z. My car felt weak and started pinging at WOT throttle and 4500rpm. I backed out and began to cruise. Sunday I added Octane booster to my car, ran it around a little bit and tested again at WOT no pinging this time all the way to red line and my power felt right.

Be careful adding Techron to your car if it is tuned. There appears to be a definite Octane drop when using Techron additive.

:cheers:

·
Registered
28 Posts
So one or two tenths of a point from a bottle of octane boost corrected the problem. Hmmmm I think this is a coincidence and may be a problem elsewhere, just my o2.
c-ya
ToddG :cheers:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So one or two tenths of a point from a bottle of octane boost corrected the problem. Hmmmm I think this is a coincidence and may be a problem elsewhere, just my o2.
c-ya
The Octane boost I used raises the Octane 8 points when added to 18 gallons of gas.

My car is tuned for 93 Octane. Car was running great to redline before adding the bottle of Techron and went back to running great after the addition of the Octane Boost. I do not think it was a coincidence.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The Octane boost I use raises the Octane 8 points when added to 18 gallons of gas.

My car is tuned for 93 Octane. Car was running great to redline before adding the bottle of Techron and went back to running great after the addition of the Octane Boost. I do not think it was a coincidence.
Which brand did you use.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which brand did you use.
Normally I use Torco Accelerator. The specs say is good for 4 points per can for 18gallons.

This weekend I used the new 104+ Maximum Octane Booster which says it is good for 8 point per 18 gallons.

I always run Octane Boosters for safety when I race in the heat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You are forgetting decimal points. For instance a 4 point increase is around 0.4. With this "4 point increase" it would make 91 octane fuel around 91.4 providing it was mixed correctly with the recommended ratio.

c-ya

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Normally I use Torco Accelerator. The specs say is good for 4 points per can for 18gallons.

This weekend I used the new 104+ Maximum Octane Booster which says it is good for 8 point per 18 gallons.

I always run Octane Boosters for safety when I race in the heat.

:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
I have used Seafoam for years with no problems,I tried Techron twice,what a waste of money.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are forgetting decimal points. For instance a 4 point increase is around 0.4. With this "4 point increase" it would make 91 octane fuel around 91.4 providing it was mixed correctly with the recommended ratio.

c-ya
This is from the Torco Website
"Mix a 32 oz can of Torco Accelerator with 10 gallons of 91 Premium Unleaded to make an efficient 102 Octane race fuel."

Using that formula, 1 can added to 18 gallons of 91 octane gas would raise the Octane of 91 Octane fuel to 97 Octane.

Sunoco tested 104+ which advertises a 4 point boost and found a 3.5 Octane increase using 93 Octane Sunoco fuel. 104+ Maximum advertises double the increase of 104+.

Whatever the increase, adding 104+ Maximum stopped my car from pinging, restored the lost power from the addition of Techron. I will be looking for a different Fuel System cleaner for my next application.

The main point here is, from my observation, be careful if your engine is tuned for the Octane rating of the gas you are using if you add a bottle of Techron.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I stand corrected. I thought you were talking about that cheap 104 crap off the shelf at wally world. :crazy:

c-ya
ToddG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fuel Injection Cleaner

What is the best to use for piece of mind to clean your fuel system, fuel injectors ? I am one that never uses additives, but I know now-a-days chemicals have come a long way compared to years ago, is there anything out there that is proven to work , breaking down the buildup and leaving the system clean?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts