Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been travelling, but I'm home for a couple of weeks. I decided to finally tear into the heavy a$$ door and see about losing some weight there. After removing the interior trim, you see that there is a almost a solid metal wall. Using my hole saw, dremell, and sawsall, I removed more than two lbs of uneeded metal panel. This gave me acess to the gaurd rail style door beam. Using my angle grinder, I cut the beam in two places and got about 80% of it out. What a pain in the ass. You have to be very paitient, especially when removing the beam in one piece. I shattered my passenger window. I should not have used that crow bar:):nono:. Any ways, the beam weighed over 8 lbs, so I removed 10 lbs from the door. Actually more than that if you count the window. So, where is the best place to get a '79 Corvette passenger side window. Once I replace the window, I'll weigh the door. Then I'll weigh the drivers door for an accurate comparison, and then lighten it. Don't worry, it should be easier the second time and I won't break the window. It will be the hardest 20lbs I ever lost, but I'm moving toward my 3000lb goal.
Bee Jay

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
As much as I admire your bumper weight reduction techniques.....I have to vote against this one. :thud:

There is a HUGE safety reason that steel is in there. :laughing:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As much as I admire your bumper weight reduction techniques.....I have to vote against this one. :thud:

There is a HUGE safety reason that steel is in there. :laughing:
Thanks on the bumper mods.
I get that on the door a lot. So pre '74 Vettes without door beams are dangerous? My car is still safer than my Harley, and just as much fun, sort of.
Bee Jay

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Nothing wrong with saving some weight

In fact I like your thinking

But, I think I'll keep the window :laughing:

It's a great Mod

Thanks for sharing

Bon

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Thanks on the bumper mods.
I get that on the door a lot. So pre '74 Vettes without door beams are dangerous? My car is still safer than my Harley, and just as much fun, sort of.
Bee Jay
Safer than a bike. :agree:
GM also added the door beams to protect the occupants in the event of a side collision. So I would believe that a later model C3 with the door beams would be more safe than an earlier model without or GM would not have put the extra cost and engineering into installing them.

Either way, lighter is faster! :agree:
Just not a mod I'd do.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Safer than a bike. :agree:
GM also added the door beams to protect the occupants in the event of a side collision. So I would believe that a later model C3 with the door beams would be more safe than an earlier model without or GM would not have put the extra cost and engineering into installing them.

Either way, lighter is faster! :agree:
Just not a mod I'd do.

:cheers:
I just added a 10 point cage to my '68, which does not have door bars. It probably added a hundred pounds, but I feel so much safer with the added removable door bars. When you get to a certain speed and power level, you should never trade off safety for performance. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
yeah I would probably do that, cause I think if its your time to go its you time to go. I would do that on the driver side but probably not the passenger incase I ever carry someone around with me. plus it would even out the weight balance of having a driver on the left LOL

·
Registered
64 Posts
ahahhahahahha! That's awesome!
I like the way you can now get to all of the mechanics of the door to work on it. I might have to do this when I go to rebuild the door hardware on mine.
Thanks for the pics!!!!!!

Does the door feel lighter when you close it?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahahhahahahha! That's awesome!
I like the way you can now get to all of the mechanics of the door to work on it. I might have to do this when I go to rebuild the door hardware on mine.
Thanks for the pics!!!!!!

Does the door feel lighter when you close it?
Most def. Especially now with no glass and no interior trim panel. I'll order the glass tomorow and after I get the glass and interior panel back on, I'll weigh it. It's very easy to see how all of the mechanicals work and prolly easy to work on now.

Bee Jay

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Most def. Especially now with no glass and no interior trim panel. I'll order the glass tomorow and after I get the glass and interior panel back on, I'll weigh it. It's very easy to see how all of the mechanicals work and prolly easy to work on now.

Bee Jay

I think you headed in the right direction on this car

Lighten the hell out of it

Go coilovers and upgrade the brakes on it

The car will transition in and out of corner quicker and will come to a stop much quicker

Also your acceleration will improve

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you headed in the right direction on this car

Lighten the hell out of it

Go coilovers and upgrade the brakes on it

The car will transition in and out of corner quicker and will come to a stop much quicker

Also your acceleration will improve
You don't like my brakes? Wilwoods. 4 lbs each. Hydroboost actuated. Stops on a dime, chips change. The stock calipers were 16lbs each.
Bee Jay

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
You don't like my brakes? Wilwoods. 4 lbs each. Hydroboost actuated. Stops on a dime, chips change. The stock calipers were 16lbs each.
Bee Jay
How can you put the car on a diet, and add 1,000 lbs with a hydroboost?

Just saying.

Look at getting a retro cable power window kit. Take that antique window regulator out of there.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
How can you put the car on a diet, and add 1,000 lbs with a hydroboost?

Just saying.
:agree:

So maybe not 1000 lbs, but when you are looking to shave as much weight as you can, that 10lbs (Im guessing) is up high and easy to get rid of. Maybe put a C5 master cylinder on it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:agree:

So maybe not 1000 lbs, but when you are looking to shave as much weight as you can, that 10lbs (Im guessing) is up high and easy to get rid of. Maybe put a C5 master cylinder on it.
I never weighed the hydroboost going in and the vacuum canister comming out. My bad. But I did the hydroboost at the same time as the wilwood brakes. I'm sure I lost weight overall, and the hydroboost is well worth the penalty, in my humble opinion. Also, at the same time, I replaced the stock rotors with cross drilled rotors. I didn't weigh the two either. Damn. I think Norval published the before and after of cross drilled rotors. That man cross drilled everything.:laughing:
Bee Jay

·
Registered
64 Posts
How do you like the Wilwoods?
Because those are some really nice looking calipers!!!!!
If you don't mind me asking, how much were they?
Are they direct bolt-ons?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How do you like the Wilwoods?
Because those are some really nice looking calipers!!!!!
If you don't mind me asking, how much were they?
Are they direct bolt-ons?
I love the Wilwoods. I've owned the car 35 years and I've rebuilt the calipers twice, then switched stainless sleeved calipers, experimented with silicone brake fluid (don't do it) and different pads. I was never satisfied. Since I did the Wilwood/hydroboost/slotted rotor conversion, I haven't touched the brakes. Several passes up on Harris Grade and auto cross events and balls out street driving and no complaints. I bought the Wilwood Brakes and brackets from Keith at Corvette Engineering.
Bee Jay

·
Registered
470 Posts
experimented with silicone brake fluid (don't do it)
Can you explain the reasons? Is it because of leakage at pistons?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I never weighed the hydroboost going in and the vacuum canister comming out. My bad. But I did the hydroboost at the same time as the wilwood brakes. I'm sure I lost weight overall, and the hydroboost is well worth the penalty, in my humble opinion. Also, at the same time, I replaced the stock rotors with cross drilled rotors. I didn't weigh the two either. Damn. I think Norval published the before and after of cross drilled rotors. That man cross drilled everything.:laughing:
Bee Jay
The C3 vacuum booster is about 8 1/2 pounds (I kicked around installing a C5 booster, but they are only about 4 ounces lighter).
The C5 m/c dropped 7 1/2 pounds off my car.
I've got those same Wilwood calipers on my '69. Lightweight and work great!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts