Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What an experience. That was an eye opener.

I was in my Z and it was a damp day. Not to wet. I'm coming out of turn 3B about to go down the back straight. I have some cars behind me. I stick my arm out to let them pass.

What happened next would change my attitude forever. In that group of cars was...... A ****ing Honda Civic. The only thing that made me feel better was it had a Brembo big brake kit. When all said and done. It was still a Honda that passed me.

I later called the 1-800 suicide number and they talked me off the ledge.:laughing: They told me everything would be fine. All I need was a change of attitude and more seat time.:spanked:

Have you ever been humbled on the race track?

Jr.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
sounds like you LET the honda pass you....It is time you surrender not only your vette, but your man-card as well :nuts:

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like you LET the honda pass you....It is time you surrender not only your vette, but your man-card as well :nuts:
In all seriousness, when guys are paying close to 300 dollars for a trackday. You let the faster cars go by. Nothing worst than a slow car causing traffic and goes right pass the passing zones. Lap after lap.

I would rather be the fast car getting passed than being mean mugged in the paddocks for not letting them pass.

I turned this thing in years ago.

Jr.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I've been passed by train of Miatas (like 3-4 of them at once) in Waterford Hills - my excuse here,, very tight, no long straight course...

I've been also passed by V6 Honda Accord on rainy day.
-- But,, on the same day, I passed Viper. :D

On one wet day, I've been passed by Saab 92-X (Saabaru...) once every session... :spanked: (really,,, my rear tires were very bad.... :lookinup:)

We all know there are always better drivers out there.

And as you mentioned, no one likes to be held up by some idiot, thinking he/she IS definitely faster because he's got a better car (most of time, it's just MORE EXPENSIVE cars), and not let anyone pass them. You did a right thing, and didn't let your ego get in the way. :cheers:

If you ever meet that same Civic on a dry day, let us know what happens. (damp condition... skinny tires... I think outcome could've been different if it was dry)

Pass or being passed,,, I don't care.. I just want to get out there and have some fun.. My first anticipated track day is still a month and 2 days away.... :thud:

·
Registered
67 Posts
heres me getting schooled by EVERYONE in the rain. At least i can use the rain as a good excuse.

·
Registered
67 Posts
this happens to be my favorite track video. i get schooled by everyone in this video - especially the miata @ the end.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
maybe you cared about your car and bringing it home? I've been schooled on the motorcycle track several times. not necessarily by better drivers but by either richer or dumber. I have the cash to play but not wreck one every other weekend like I've seen.

·
Registered
67 Posts
maybe you cared about your car and bringing it home? I've been schooled on the motorcycle track several times. not necessarily by better drivers but by either richer or dumber. I have the cash to play but not wreck one every other weekend like I've seen.
roger that !!!!! i am firmly committed to driving that bad boy home in one piece. I'm not at the phase in my life where i could replace the car. maybe someday................

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
heres me getting schooled by EVERYONE in the rain. At least i can use the rain as a good excuse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqRznNp3auc
oh wow... was it like a GT3 RS track day or something?? It seems like you are the only FR car there...
All the Porsches, and a Ford GT.

Man,, you are running with some serious cars. Thanks for sharing the video!

·
Registered
67 Posts
oh wow... was it like a GT3 RS track day or something?? It seems like you are the only FR car there...
All the Porsches, and a Ford GT.

Man,, you are running with some serious cars. Thanks for sharing the video!
yeah - nice cars - and one of them went into the wall - 1st session - first lap. i was being very careful.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
this happens to be my favorite track video. i get schooled by everyone in this video - especially the miata @ the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahZLi37z9t0
Looks like you guys are running open passing. I've ran with a group that allowed open passing once - It was very fun and very intimidating at the same time. (makes me really push myself)
Probably you were making mistakes for the same reason, I guess..?

-- was it Daytona? (it looks like a track I saw on GT5 game.. :laughing:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
that video was @ Homestead/Miami Speedway. It was not open passing, we were supposed to pass on the banking and in the straights only, (that was why i slowed down in a bunch of spots) but as you can see they were passing in the turns, and it made me very nervous - i dont run in that group (yet - its called "super solo")

that session was the most fun i have had in the car to date - even with the extra fun ending !!!!

when i looked at the car after the session, my front right slick had no rubber - was belts only - during the session i could not understand why the car was not turning properly - duh - luckily, no damage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts