Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys recommend for a cold air intake. There are a lot out there and they all claim various HP increases. I was going to stay with a good name but wanted to see who has one and what they think.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Vararam, being it is a true ram air system. I have heard good things about the Vararam Snake Charmer kit for C6's w/a tune.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Breathless Intake :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Vararam all the way. Great power gains especially on the highway. I had to get my car dyno tuned because it couldn't handle the air coming in. Go to a good tuner. Pretty easy to install. If you decide with Vararam buy the shroud that has the pre-cut out. I got mine for $250.00 with the shroud. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who has the best selection?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
its not quantity its quality :laughing: VARARAM :partyon:

·
Registered
609 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had a vararam on my c5 and it made a huge difference. I'm going to get the snake charmer 2 for my c6 as soon as i get rich.

·
Registered
475 Posts
On the other hand, AIRAID has a nice one that's very reasonably priced and is easy to install yourself. I find that they make the car slightly noiser but have better throttle response. And if the filter is reusable, your already ahead of the game...

·
Registered
162 Posts
On the other hand, AIRAID has a nice one that's very reasonably priced and is easy to install yourself. I find that they make the car slightly noiser but have better throttle response. And if the filter is reusable, your already ahead of the game...
I use the Airraid for a few reasons....I dont have a 600+ hp car, thus it fits my requirement, its reasonably priced, and the filter IS reuseable. As far as "noise" is concerned, the only difference I've heard is when I mash the peddle going to WOT, which amounts to a "whosh" sound. Sorta like the beast is taking a big breath, then she flys.

Its great to dream, but I have no desire to drop loads of money into a vehicle that I dont plan on racing in any form or fashion.:cheers:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Callaway:thumbsup: carefull with the Varoom, it will suck up water in bad weather and really charm your motor:lookinup:

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Callaway:thumbsup: carefull with the Varoom, it will suck up water in bad weather and really charm your motor:lookinup:

Is that from experience? Or did someone tell you. I ask because I am leaning toward the Vararam

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I never had any issues when driving in the rain with my vararam. I only drove it a couple of times in the rain though. The unit is suppose to have runners that divert the water. Right on there website it state that rain and down pours will not effect the car, but if the front end gets submerged in water it will damage the car. Also the filter is washable and reusable. The only thing with vararam is you might have to get the car tuned to handle the air coming in. I did but some people say they had no issues. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its a done deal. I am going to call them to make sure I get the correct one as I have a 2005 and there seems to be some difference in the 05 and 06 but I will order this Tuesday and I will take pics for all to see. I then plan to take it to a tuner anyway to see what tune I have and tweak it if I can.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Its a done deal. I am going to call them to make sure I get the correct one as I have a 2005 and there seems to be some difference in the 05 and 06 but I will order this Tuesday and I will take pics for all to see. I then plan to take it to a tuner anyway to see what tune I have and tweak it if I can.
Good Choice. Tuning is good when adding a Vararam to utilize all that extra air. It was explained to me that a ECM collects 400 miles of information. If it senses the added air it thinks somethings wrong and retards power without a new tune.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Is that from experience? Or did someone tell you. I ask because I am leaning toward the Vararam
Yes, I own my own shop and had 2 insurance claims from flooded engines during times of heavy suburban downfall. 05 and 06, both used varoom suckers. Insurance adjuster suggested declining coverage on both cars but did agree to pay. It was clear that the filters did see some water of some type because filters were a milky pink.
Im not saying they do it all the time but it does happen, just remember to reinstall your WET factory unit if it does, and dont wet it with tap water use rain/runoff water:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts