Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Hoping for a bit of advice. I intend to buy a new crate motor (small block) for my 72 (manual) vette.

Im after somthing a bit better than the average crate motor.

Alum heads, roller rockers etc etc.

any links of recommended suppliers would be great.

Thanks Guys.....

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
crateenginedepot.com absolute best prices around

·
Registered
428 Posts
Nice car ****. For some reason I am intrigued by the Shafiroff engines I keep seeing in my magazines. They look like serious business. They have a nice website.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
****, that's a gorgeous car, and from the looks of it you have a beautiful home too. I know I speak for a lot of us, I'm envious.

Is budget a concern?

What are your needs? Driving style mostly. You can buy crate 350s that are built for HP, built for TQ, built for both, then there are the stroker small blocks, and LS engine options.

So many ways to go, if you can narrow down what you are looking for a little bit we can make some choices specific to you.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Shoot a PM or do a search for GrumpyVette he has a lot of knowledge on this subject and a lot of connections with engine shops. Great Car looking forward to the install

·
Registered
697 Posts
If you can...try and get your small block locally within a reasonable distance from you.

Do you have any dirt track racers around you?

Ask them who they use. They will hook you up with some of the best local sources around for small blocks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies guys, this gives me a great start.

I didnt want to tell my tale of my current engine, but this may make thing clearer as to why im chasing up a new motor.

I originally had my numbers matching engine rebuilt at a company in Australia called COME engines. I had it bored to a 383 and spent almost 10k on it. After 500 miles the cam had 2 lobes go round due to poor quality lifters after a huge fight with the company I got another cam and new lifters (they said were different but were not). Another 200 miles later I knew the tell tail signs that there was a problem this time so I took the rocker covers off and found a heap of overheated rockers (blue). COME engines litrally told me to get F%$^ed. So this time I got good quality gear and havent had a problem with them since.

The next problem I had was the engine had not had the acid that was used to clean the block removed properly so after about 1000miles I had a rotted radiator and intake manifold ( I sure this has caused some issues with my motor that will rear there ugly head later on)

Now after cleaning the engine many times and getting the acid out I have over 1mm end float and the engine leaks oil quite badly, this mabye a resuly of the above problem and may have ruined some seals (possibly Im over guessing).

I know I could take legal action but I just want to move on and get a new motor and turn my numbers matching block into a 10k table.

Im after at least 400hp as I have that now Im hoping use my new manifold edelbrock performer RPM air gap and my electronic dizzy and 700 DP holley.

Sorry to bore everyone I not after compassion I just want a new motor and to move on.

JUST REMEMBER THE NAME COME ENGINES IN MELBOURNE AS A NO GO!!!!!

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys, this gives me a great start.

I didnt want to tell my tale of my current engine, but this may make thing clearer as to why im chasing up a new motor.

I originally had my numbers matching engine rebuilt at a company in Australia called COME engines. I had it bored to a 383 and spent almost 10k on it. After 500 miles the cam had 2 lobes go round due to poor quality lifters after a huge fight with the company I got another cam and new lifters (they said were different but were not). Another 200 miles later I knew the tell tail signs that there was a problem this time so I took the rocker covers off and found a heap of overheated rockers (blue). COME engines litrally told me to get F%$^ed. So this time I got good quality gear and havent had a problem with them since.

The next problem I had was the engine had not had the acid that was used to clean the block removed properly so after about 1000miles I had a rotted radiator and intake manifold ( I sure this has caused some issues with my motor that will rear there ugly head later on)

Now after cleaning the engine many times and getting the acid out I have over 1mm end float and the engine leaks oil quite badly, this mabye a resuly of the above problem and may have ruined some seals (possibly Im over guessing).

I know I could take legal action but I just want to move on and get a new motor and turn my numbers matching block into a 10k table.

Im after at least 400hp as I have that now Im hoping use my new manifold edelbrock performer RPM air gap and my electronic dizzy and 700 DP holley.

Sorry to bore everyone I not after compassion I just want a new motor and to move on.

JUST REMEMBER THE NAME COME ENGINES IN MELBOURNE AS A NO GO!!!!!
No bore at all, we like hearing stories about cars (well, not like that they happened anyway). Its the stories behind cars that make them so damn interesting./ sucks about your problems with them, personally I would take them too the cleaners.

I just got my shortblock in from Texas Speed & Performance, and if I have any of those problems.....I have a lawyer on retainer for a reason

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
****, that's a gorgeous car, and from the looks of it you have a beautiful home too. I know I speak for a lot of us, I'm envious.

Is budget a concern?

What are your needs? Driving style mostly. You can buy crate 350s that are built for HP, built for TQ, built for both, then there are the stroker small blocks, and LS engine options.

So many ways to go, if you can narrow down what you are looking for a little bit we can make some choices specific to you.
Hi DB,
Im after probably a 383 again so I can re-use my running gear on my current motor.

edelbrock rpm air gap manifold
electronic dizzy
700 DP Holley
hooker headers
current alum valve covers.

Cheers

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
what's an electronic dizzy?

·
Registered
697 Posts
My 355 from Tri Star Engine out of Baldwin, WI pulls 410 tq and delivers 378 hp dyno'd. (flat tappet cam) If I would have went with the RPM performer intake and the roller cam option it would have topped 400 hp easy...... but the roller system was out of my budget and the RMP intake wouldn't clear my '79 L82 hood.

Considering I started with a whimpy 230 hp L82 I think I came out pretty good.:thumbsup:

They build engines for many local dirt track racers in the area.

Mine was considered a small build at only 378 hp. I'm sure they could set you up with something around 450 hp in a blink.

A friggin steal at $3300 delivered, alum heads, intake, 650 carb, plugs, wires, fuel line, fuel pump, balancer, Moroso distrib (aka...electronic dizzy:thumbsup:), dyno tuned, broke in and ready to drop in and run....delivered to my door step too (in Wisconsin).

Shipping to you tho....yikes....$2500???

http://www.tristarengine.com/

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Hi All,
Hoping for a bit of advice. I intend to buy a new crate motor (small block) for my 72 (manual) vette.

Im after somthing a bit better than the average crate motor.

Alum heads, roller rockers etc etc.

any links of recommended suppliers would be great.

Thanks Guys.....

Not an answer to your question, but ... congrats with YOUR BEAUTY! :smokin: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have contacted all of the suppliers listed above (by email) and they are all getting back to me wanting more details to get the quote right. This is a good thing I think because they want to get the right option for me.

I will post the outcome as it comes to light over the next few weeks. A big thank you to all that gave imput :)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Good luck ****:thumbsup: By the way, could you give us the specs on your tire/wheel combo. Looks great:thumbsup: (sorry this is unrelated)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good luck ****:thumbsup: By the way, could you give us the specs on your tire/wheel combo. Looks great:thumbsup: (sorry this is unrelated)
G'day speeddaddy,
im running 15x8 and 15x10 combo with 3 & 3/4 bs, tires are 255x55 and 295x50. you will need flares to cover this combo.

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts