Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around and asking around, about the best sounding exhaust for a 1973 C3 Corvette Stingray. Do not want it to be too quiet, I want to feel like I have a new exhaust. My last car I had was the Corvette C6 with the GM upgraded butterfly exhaust. That sounded preety good, only when you punched it.

If you go to my YouTube videos you will hear what it sounds like:
I am not sure but I think the exhaust on it now is stock

Here is what type of exhaust I am looking for on my ’73 Vette:

- Beefy, deep-throated sound
- Throaty sound
- When you turn the car on it sounds beefy.
- Nice and choppy kinda like how the Scarab speed boats sound that go fast.
- Good load muscle car sound
- Sound low and rumble like

Let me know all of your thoughts.

Thank You, and please go to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/1973StingrayVette

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'm partial to DynoMax Super Turbo Mufflers, with a stainless steel 2-1/2" cat-back system.

Great, low throaty rumble at idle, guaranteed to set off car alarms in a parking garage:partyon:, quiet enough to talk while driving, but when you jump on it, they get loud, (w/virtually no back pressure).

I get lots of compliments on the sound!!!

Most people will advise the MagnaFlows, but I like the Super Turbos from DynoMax!:thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtoFgG-T3Z0&feature=player_embedded#at=13

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have Magnaflows and will post a video of mine tomorrow for you. Note that mine has an aftermarket cam, headers, and such so sound will be different from factory. I like the Magnaflows cause they're not to loud but you hear a sexy idle from them. By the way if you're getting a exhaust/muffler upgrade get an X or H pipe put in cause my Magnaflows with my current setup didn't sound as good and had a huffy sound, but even my factory mufflers did as well. Goodluck and hope to hear it with the exhaust upgrade soon:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Sorry about not posting the video. I thought I had a good behind car running video but didn't as the only real exhaust note was heard for about 3 seconds max. If my Corvette was here at my house I'd made a darn good one for you so that you could really get the true sound. Hopefully someone has a good one to post.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have Magnaflows and love'em. has a good muscle car sound at idle,cruise and wot. I've had the Dyno-max turbos and didnt like them, they sounded good at idle but that was it, after that there wasnt much sound.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm partial to DynoMax Super Turbo Mufflers, with a stainless steel 2-1/2" cat-back system.

Great, low throaty rumble at idle, guaranteed to set off car alarms in a parking garage:partyon:, quiet enough to talk while driving, but when you jump on it, they get loud, (w/virtually no back pressure).

I get lots of compliments on the sound!!!

Most people will advise the MagnaFlows, but I like the Super Turbos from DynoMax!:thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtoFgG-T3Z0&feature=player_embedded#at=13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORGyLVmFqmY&NR=1
Super turbos are the way to go, have them on my car as well, Headers, no cats, x pipe and 2 1/2 exhaust:thumbsup: no drone at highway speeds ,nice wicked rumble at idle and wicked under acceleration

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Magnaflows will sound good at idle and when I push the gas?

So lets say I am going to get the Magnaflows what do I need to get? Just the muffler? I went to their website and put in my make and model and it spit out this over $900!!:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/...s.asp?make=CHEVROLET&model=CORVETTE&year=1973

I mean I don't have to get the whole system right?
Can I just get the muffler then work up to other stuff later like cams, headers, magnaflow systems?

Help me out, I just want to get exhaust on my C3 :cheers:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Magnaflows will sound good at idle and when I push the gas?

So lets say I am going to get the Magnaflows what do I need to get? Just the muffler? I went to their website and put in my make and model and it spit out this over $900!!:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/...s.asp?make=CHEVROLET&model=CORVETTE&year=1973

I mean I don't have to get the whole system right?
Can I just get the muffler then work up to other stuff later like cams, headers, magnaflow systems?

Help me out, I just want to get exhaust on my C3 :cheers:

You sure can:thumbsup: I built mine over a couple years. First the mufflers, then headers, then exhaust from headers to muffler, and lastly engine rebuild with a X pipe shortly afterwards. Sounds good at all RPM's:thumbsup:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am with blckslvr79, PIPES.

The look, the sound, and room to work under the car.:partyon:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Magnaflow's, But you already knew that.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Take a look at the Magnaflow 16841 system. It looks great

and sounds great. The LS1 has a different firing order than the original 350 but you get the general idea.

I used planetmagnaflow.com when I bought the system. Make them an offer. You might be suprised at what they will accept.

:cheers:

Rick B.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will most likely get magnaflows......

What about Flowmasters? Would that be what I am looking for?

Let me know thanks.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I will most likely get magnaflows......

What about Flowmasters? Would that be what I am looking for?

Let me know thanks.
Shark,

Someone else can't tell you what you're going to like, soundwise, anymore than they can tell you what color should be your favorite.

You have to go to car shows/events and see the cars running, talk to the owners and ask for a ride, hear the cars at speed, etc. The videos are helpful too, but most of the time, they are at idle.

I like my sidepipes, but I burn my leg on them every few months. I don't think a lot of it, but that could be a deal-breaker for most people. It's all personal choice.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts