Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
i assure you pioneer does not make a 1.5 DIN unit such as the one pictured. It is 2 DIN. it looks as if there is no modification because it was well done. you can purchase pre-fabricated surroundings from a vendor mentioned somewhere on this forum. someone might remember the link.

·
Registered
618 Posts
my mistake, I could have sworn i saw the full cigerette tray in the first pic.

Sorry, the Pioneer AVIC-D1 is a 2 DIN...but that dash molding job is excellent.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We need some more info on this benzil pick.
It does appear that the ask tray portion was left as stock.
I'm not sure how he picked up the 5/8" to 3/4" vertical dimention that is needed for a 2Din?

Looks like there was some work done to the horizontal divider. It appears to be thinner than stock. Maybe he moved the new head unit up a little as well?

I would like to have more info on how it was done. I am ready to start a Z2 project. Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
192 Posts
I did the double din and used a Kenwood 7100. Great unit! Supports Ipod, Bluetooth, video, sattelite radio.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I did the double din and used a Kenwood 7100. Great unit! Supports Ipod, Bluetooth, video, sattelite radio.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm not sure how he picked up the 5/8" to 3/4" vertical dimention that is needed for a 2Din?

Looks like there was some work done to the horizontal divider. It appears to be thinner than stock. Maybe he moved the new head unit up a little as well?

I would like to have more info on how it was done. I am ready to start a Z2 project. Thanks, Mark
Look here at post #3
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1117959

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

Very nice. Did you customize your center console yourself or did you buy one aftermarket?

Regarding the actual head unit, I did some research and the Pioneer AVIC apparently has some bugs when it comes to the IPOD capabilities. The Kenwood and Alpine models apparently are better in this area, which is my primary reason for the upgrade.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Very nice. Did you customize your center console yourself or did you buy one aftermarket?

Regarding the actual head unit, I did some research and the Pioneer AVIC apparently has some bugs when it comes to the IPOD capabilities. The Kenwood and Alpine models apparently are better in this area, which is my primary reason for the upgrade.

I did the bezel myself. I came out pretty well. It matches the interior better than the pics show. The Ipod support is perfect. I leave the movie 300 in to show of that capability.

I also replaced the speakers, added a sub and drive the doors with 100w and the sub with 800w (overkill).

·
Registered
618 Posts
I did the bezel myself. I came out pretty well. It matches the interior better than the pics show. The Ipod support is perfect. I leave the movie 300 in to show of that capability.

I also replaced the speakers, added a sub and drive the doors with 100w and the sub with 800w (overkill).
what material did you use as molding?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I mixed up a sludge of plastic and acetone for most of it and a little Bondo to finish.

·
Registered
54 Posts

I'm still not sure how this was done? I think the original post/pic is from BillMcDonald? Maybe he can comment on how it was done? Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Finally got my Z2 finished. :thumbsup:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Very nice! How did you modify the center console? Did you purchase an aftermarket console or alter/customize your stock console? It looks like you have a little carbon fiber treatment at the bottom.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I did all the install myself. The Z2 surround, I modified to fit and made a storage pouch where the ash tray was removed. The back part is just a piece of rubber storage mat that I cut and put in there. It cushions whatever I store in there, sun glasses, phone or wallet. Mark

41 - 60 of 63 Posts