Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of a suspension rebuild/oil pan gasket rear main seal replacement and I wanted to get your ideas on the best way to degrease the underside of my block. My oil pan is off so I'm not sure how to do it. I was going to put a tarp down and use some engine brite. What chemicals have you guys used. I have a lift so access is not a problem.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I used Adam's Undercarriage Spray.

Their All Purpose Cleaner is pretty brutal too.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I like Mean Green and Purple power to cut through heavy grime. Use a rag or a brush to gnaw through most of it and wipe away excess. Then I follow with a rinse brake cleaner. For 'finished' parts I might use light soapy water.

Are you going to try and re-paint the block if some of the paint is gone or are you just cleaning away grime? Remember that the block surface will rust without paint or grime on it.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I've used Simple Green and also generic Engine Cleaners.
Best thing is to get a power-washer. Or.. steal your wife's can of oven cleaner (it'll take the paint off).

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I'm missing something here....with the oil pan off, there isn't much of a "bottom of the block" to clean.

Why not install your pan gasket, button it up, take it to the U-Squirt, and power clean to your heart's delight? While you're at it, you can clean up the suspension in preparation for your next project.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would probably put the pan back on or at least bolt it up before cleaning the block.

If you can use a hose, I'd start with Engine Brite and then with Purple Power and finish up with Brake Clean.

If the hose is not an option, try using Xylene and a brush.
Xylene is an excellent degreaser, but you will need good ventilation.

If you are going to repaint under there, you want to use products that won't leave a residue behind.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
What ever you do... Do not spray any cleaner in side the block with the pan off. :thud:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I put my car out in the driveway, jack it up and support it on jack stands. Spray down the suspension and block liberaly with Simple Green (full concentration) then just use my pressure washer and have at it!

Everyone's undercarriage needs a little attention from time to time!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Are we talking about cleaning the gasket surfaces or the entire lower end of the block??

For the gasket surfaces, I use a combination of razor blades, scotch-brite pads, gasket scrapers or whatever else I can dream up to get the old gaskets off.

For the outside of everything else, again, it's whatever you can find that will work.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Are we talking about cleaning the gasket surfaces or the entire lower end of the block??

For the gasket surfaces, I use a combination of razor blades, scotch-brite pads, gasket scrapers or whatever else I can dream up to get the old gaskets off.

For the outside of everything else, again, it's whatever you can find that will work.

Tim I think he's referring to the bottom, or sides of the block, which face downward.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I'm referring to the sides of my block. I was going to put the pan back on temporarily to clean. I'm getting the pan powder coated so I don't want to mess it up. I'd like to use my power washer but it's inside the garage on a lift and it will become a huge mess.
I'll clean it as best I can and then do a proper cleaning in the spring.
Thanks for all of the advice. I post some pics when I get done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts