Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some suggestions on what to use on radiator hoses and heater hoses to make them look new . I have tried Armor all and it looks streakie, thanks for the input!

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
I hated Armor All "high-gloss" also.

Rubber hoses seem to "grab" Armor All strangely, leave STRANGE looking streaks.

I found much more success with their new grease-less interior products on my hoses. It made my hoses look like a million bucks. Strange.

How many times can I say "hoses" in one post?

:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
tire black

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use "Black Magic". It's good for all rubber and in the wheel wells etc. Even if the car is not mint clean, it does the job.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Trim Shine Vinyl Plastic and Rubber Protectant. Great product. Spray on hoses, plastic wheel wells, wiring. Just spray on and let sit. No need to wipe. Does not collect dust or get sticky. A trick I use when I'm ready to show a car is that the next day I'll spray the Zaino enhancer and just wipe all the hoses and plastics parts gently. What's nice about it is that when it's done, it's not overly glossy and has a nice smooth and even finish. You just need to do it twice a year, or depending on your driving habits, you may need to do it more. I'll be posting some pics on my website with the process I use, so stop by and take a look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
to make hoses look like new try black magic protectorant. wipe it on sparingly, then wipe off excess using terry cloth for both.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree! :thumbsup:

stevenll said:
303 Aerospace Protectant works great on hoses. Makes them look new with a dull gloss finish.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
biltogo said:
tire black

Yep, tire black works best for me also. It works on just about everything under the hood. I even spray it in my wheel wells and the underside of my hood. :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
71-467rat said:
I would like some suggestions on what to use on radiator hoses and heater hoses to make them look new . I have tried Armor all and it looks streakie, thanks for the input!
Believe it or not, Meguiar's High Endurance Tire Gloss works great and lastes for months. The trick is to apply it sparingly and wipe it off completely using several paper shop towels (the blue ones from Kragen/Pep Boys.etc.) until the surface is as dry as you can make it. It retores the black color without coating the hose. It does not produce an overly glossy finish, despite the name. It also does not seem to act as a dust/grime magnet.

To really get them looking good use tire cleaner (be careful, the stuff is corrosive, put a balled-up towel under the hose) first to remove the layer of oxydized rubber. Then apply the Meguiar's.

The hoses are rubber which explains why products designed for vinyl do not penetrate and look less than satisfactory afterwards.

Ray

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Re: Re: Best way to make hoses look like new?

RT66Z06 said:
To really get them looking good use tire cleaner (be careful, the stuff is corrosive, put a balled-up towel under the hose) first to remove the layer of oxydized rubber. Then apply the Meguiar's.

The hoses are rubber which explains why products designed for vinyl do not penetrate and look less than satisfactory afterwards.
Hmmmmm................ :)

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
AlwaysWave said:
tire black

:agree: Some of my hoses are braided stainless, the ones that are not get tire black. Also the underside of the hood and the wheel wells. :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
stevenll said:
303 Aerospace Protectant works great on hoses. Makes them look new with a dull gloss finish.
Just bought some.Havent used any yet,but heard it was good.Can you use it on the dash? I think I need leather conditioner for the seats though,right?:huh:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
:agree: Zymol or Luxall (I think that's how it is spelled) If you are into Zaino products they make a leather cleaner/conditioner that will leave a new leather smell.

·
Registered
965 Posts
stilcrazee said:
:agree: Zymol or Luxall (I think that's how it is spelled) If you are into Zaino products they make a leather cleaner/conditioner that will leave a new leather smell.
Thanks,I'm thinking I may find Zymol & Lexol(?) in some area auto stores,but has anyone seen Zaino? Probly have to order that-I know its expensive stuff.I'm eventually going to try a clay bar too,before cruisin weather hits.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts