Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow first post in the C5 section. I have a basic question that I am sure has been asked before or not but here goes.

What is the best year or years for the C-5's? Are there any reasons to stay away from a particular year? I guess what I am trying to say is that like the 68 C-3 is always regarded as the worst C-3 to own by most people (not my opinion) because of the many poor quality issues it had. Likewise the first C-4 is generally considered to be one to stay away from.

I may be looking to buy a C-5 in the near future and wanted to start my research now. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Ive only been a Vette owner for a year and around the forums for the same. From what I have seen, electrical issues pop up throughout the model years. I havent seen a 'specific' issue that would call out one year more than another.

·
Registered
62 Posts
IMO it depends on what exactly you are looking for. For example my '01 was the first year that the Oak interior was offered and the HP was uped to 350. Earlier C5's also had uglier wheels once again just my opinion. Other than quirky nuisance's mine has been very reliable and surprisingly economical. It gets the best mpg of any car in the family right around 30 on interstate trips. So anyway I would say look at all of them and figure out what turns your gears, even in this Corvette community what I like doesn't neccessarily do anything for the next guy and by the way I like the '68 too. Its was my Dad's first Vette.

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Each year throughout the production run the car was refined. With that in mind the 04 would be the best. But it comes down to what you want and what you are willing to spend. C5's are a great car and a great bargain. :thumbsup:

Reactions: HN376RAR

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and by the way I like the '68 too. Its was my Dad's first Vette.
Yes I like them too. But most experts agree the 68 was one of the worst Vettes made due to comprimises in the quality control (again not my opinion).

Each year throughout the production run the car was refined. With that in mind the 04 would be the best. But it comes down to what you want and what you are willing to spend. C5's are a great car and a great bargain
That is what I was thinking, thanks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Each year throughout the production run the car was refined. With that in mind the 04 would be the best. But it comes down to what you want and what you are willing to spend. C5's are a great car and a great bargain. :thumbsup:
Vettecop is right, however if you look at the Consumer Report's (go to the library it's cheeper than getting an online account) you will find that they have up's and down's for each year. According to MSN http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/default.aspx?make=Chevrolet&model=Corvette The 2004 was the best year for the C5 Generation and the rest of the years scored just as well. According to them the 1998, 1999 and 2001 had the second best ratings if you actually look at the Expert Reviews and there check mark rating system. The thing about there "problems" listed with the "An occasional problem on this vehicle is the failure of the Ignition Lock Cylinder, which causes a problem with the Theft Deterrent System." Which MOST if not ALL of the C5 should have already had this problem taken care of. Mine was already done through the recall when I bought it.

James
1N189

·
Registered
956 Posts
Some early 2001 vehicles had an issue with the piston rings allowing oil to slip by them under high RPM, no load conditions. From what I read, this issue could effect 2001's that had a build date on or before January 2001.

It didn't stop me from buying one though...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
normally the first year of the change has the most quirks , mine is a 99 and i have not had any problems that i would say were particular to the year it was made , ie, 97 had some small electrical problems , 01 had the issue with oil consumption , what i acn't figure out if lt. oak was 1st introduced in 01 why did miy 99 come with it :laughing:
so my friend i would say buy the newest year you can afford :thumbsup: i started with a 79 and moved up to my 99 vert which would be ( great for pics with Blondie ) just a thought , anyway the C5 you will find has alot more creature comforts , more room in the cabin , ac works better , more hp , and better miles per gallon , on a trip to Branson mo. i got 32mpg down and back :surprised
if i were closer you could test drive mine and see what you thought :thumbsup: if you need more info just send me a pm and i'll see what i can do to answer any questions you have

oak

IMO it depends on what exactly you are looking for. For example my '01 was the first year that the Oak interior was offered and the HP was uped to 350. Earlier C5's also had uglier wheels once again just my opinion. Other than quirky nuisance's mine has been very reliable and surprisingly economical. It gets the best mpg of any car in the family right around 30 on interstate trips. So anyway I would say look at all of them and figure out what turns your gears, even in this Corvette community what I like doesn't neccessarily do anything for the next guy and by the way I like the '68 too. Its was my Dad's first Vette.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Since my 04' verte is my first Vette, I don't have too much history, however I liked the idea of buying the car late in it's model run. Primarily due to the refinements offered.

Look at the current C6. Many people jumped and bought the first year. Now look at the HP and interior improvements specifically. It's great to be first on the block with a new Corvette, however I usually wait until at least a few years out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Someone told me the cylinder heads on the 2000's were the most restrictive offered on the LS1. I have updated to some nice Z06 243's.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the C5 you will find has alot more creature comforts , more room in the cabin , ac works better , more hp , and better miles per gallon , on a trip to Branson mo. i got 32mpg down and back :surprised
if i were closer you could test drive mine and see what you thought :thumbsup: if you need more info just send me a pm and i'll see what i can do to answer any questions you have

oak
Yes my 81's creature comforts are like that of an old Camaro lol. Although it looks better than a camaro and it is probably a lot cleaner than most 81 camaro's it is still an old feeling car to drive. I read someplace that a Miata could hang with this particular vette as far as acceleration goes and that the 81 is one of if not the slowest vettes of all time. So a little boost in HP is one thing I am looking forward to. My 81 will not even break the tires loose which is very depressing considering it is a vette. I had an 87 C-4 that would haul ass and would smoke the tires anytime you got ready to roast em. In fact that car was so hot you would have to let off the accelerator or risk fishtailing out of control and into a ditch under a hard acceleration.

Thanks for the input guys, so far I have checked off the 2001 C-5 due to the oil consumption problems. Yes I am making a list and checking it twice.

By the way Oak, if you make it down to GA on Saturday Blondie and I will be at an all Vette show. You could have your pic made with her and your car:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Yes my 81's creature comforts are like that of an old Camaro lol. Although it looks better than a camaro and it is probably a lot cleaner than most 81 camaro's it is still an old feeling car to drive. I read someplace that a Miata could hang with this particular vette as far as acceleration goes and that the 81 is one of if not the slowest vettes of all time. So a little boost in HP is one thing I am looking forward to. My 81 will not even break the tires loose which is very depressing considering it is a vette. I had an 87 C-4 that would haul ass and would smoke the tires anytime you got ready to roast em. In fact that car was so hot you would have to let off the accelerator or risk fishtailing out of control and into a ditch under a hard acceleration.

Thanks for the input guys, so far I have checked off the 2001 C-5 due to the oil consumption problems. Yes I am making a list and checking it twice.

By the way Oak, if you make it down to GA on Saturday Blondie and I will be at an all Vette show. You could have your pic made with her and your car:thumbsup:
that sounds like a great time , the misses and i will be flying to fort polk louisana on the 5th and then driving our daughter back to missouri on the 6th .
but be sure and take some pics for us :thumbsup:

oak

·
Registered
18 Posts
I always wanted a Stingray coupe so in 1982 I bought one, a 1965 black on black. What a great car it was, but had to sell it when the kids came along.

Then last year after always wanting a C5, now the kids are gone, I picked up the '01 and I think I like it better because it is more driveable. But that '65 is a beautiful car. Lucky enough to have owned both!!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
now a 65 i would have had to keep , if it all possible , i kick my self in the pants everytime i think about this one , 15 years ago i could have bought a red 64 vert 4 speed car for $20,000.00 :spanked:

oak

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, I am partial to the '99 since mine is that year. It is the only year that Consumers Report recommended the car and is the most reliable. Also the 1st year of the FRC return.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I bought an 03 millenium coupe and Love it! No problems in 1 1/2 yrs. I picked this year because of the 50th anniversary. It has the special emblems and such. I like the milestone. The other favorite of mine would be the 04 Z06 24hrs of lemans. Beautiful car with carbon fiber hood.....nice touch! Not to mention 405 hp out of the box.

Good luck and enjoy!

Vettes Rule:partyon:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Well, I am partial to the '99 since mine is that year. It is the only year that Consumers Report recommended the car and is the most reliable. Also the 1st year of the FRC return.
i'm partial also , but i really fell in love with the color :laughing:

oak

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
for me i own a 2000, and really am not keen about all this problems with vettes, but love the 00:thumbsup:

·
Registered
326 Posts
:agree:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts