Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got a Delema..went to change the oil pump on my 85 corvette..i removed the old one and without noticing i put the other one together with the screen and new rod with the metal instead of the plastic ring on it and went to put my oil pan back on and no matter what i did it would not go on..then i looked behind me at the old pomp and screen and noticed the tube going to the screen was spread out more and longer..there is a metal piece that goes across the oil pan around half way down with a hole for the oil pump screen to go through and shaped for the long pump screen tube that i took off..i ordered the right screen that said that it would fit..crazy..i have included some pictures..any ideas about this is most welcome..
Wood Gas Bicycle part Auto part Tool
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Grille Vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Grille Vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Plant

·
Registered
186 Posts
What I see is the pick up is different. The tube on the old one is mounted on the back of the screen the new one enters on the side. This makes the pick higher and shorter. May be wrong, just what I see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May look that way but is the same when mounted,,the tube is longer and spread out more and can go down into the oil pan that has a sheet metal piece with a cut out for the tube and screen to go down into the bottom of the oil pan.the new one won't even allow the screen to go through the hole in the sheet metal that is half way to the bottom of the oil pan...i just went on ebay and they show three different tubes with the screens ..one has two bolt holes to bolt on the oil pump..crazy and they all say they fit the same car..lol..

·
Super Moderator
8,577 Posts
step one' if your having clearance issues is verifying where the interference is exactly
buy
Liquid Product Azure Fluid Paint

coat the oil pump and pick-up, then look for the area on the oil pan slosh barrier and oil pan walls that you suspect interferes with the oil pump pick-up install
try to install pump, remove and inspect the area for smeared dykem, then use shears , a ball pean hammer or dremel to clearance as required

where are you located?
if palm beach florida I might help?
but theres sure to be experienced members near you, this is a very common issue thats very easy to solve

place modeling clay under the pick-up to measure to verify theres at least 3/8" but not more than 1/2" under the oil pick-up to pan clearance

Reactions: HN376RAR

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i see what you mean..but would rather have the right screen instead of modifying the slosh barrier..and ty..was wondering what that was,,lol..slosh barrier,,any idea why there are three different screens with different tupes?

·
Super Moderator
8,577 Posts
theres DOZENS of oil pans that fit , and many guys build custom pans

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grumpy should he tack weld the tube to the pump? Seen that done to make sure it stays put.
Grumpy should he tack weld the tube to the pump? Seen that done to make sure it stays put.
I bought this from ebay instead of welding..i don't have a welder,,,,,so used SBC Bolt On Oil Pump Screen Pickup Retainer Fits: 5/8" Tube Street Drag Race Car ...

·
Super Moderator
8,577 Posts
I vastly prefer BRAZING as it tends to be less prone to cracking,
but yeah, it needs to be secured, simply press fit won't always work long term

read the link

added vibration reducing braces also tends to reduce long term durability issues
they also make brackets for pick-ups as added security
http://www.grumpysperformance.com/bbcop1a.jpg

https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/at...104747/?hash=c29a3fa94c781a09cea593b621da275c
everyone should have a mig or TIG welder or oxy-acetylene torch welder

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Brazing is a lost art, in my younger days I would rather braze than weld if possible. Somethings just can’t brazed. Use to use coat hangers but they changed the metal in them and are now worthless. Man coat hangers used to be really good on exhaust just the right composition. Brazed many a muffler on using coat hangers.

·
Super Moderator
8,577 Posts

or silver solder rods for the torch
I don't see how anyone serious in this hobby does not have a TIG welder and/or oxy-acetylene torch welder , or at least a decent MIG and/or oxy-acetylene torch welder
and a drill press and hydraulic press

1 - 12 of 12 Posts