Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:huh: Today during a little spirited driving I did a lane change at about 80 mph, not real abrupt but just a regular lane change. . . . . the rear end of the car felt llike it just started floating, I mean it was pretty scary! Is this just the nature of the BFG Drag radials? or is there something wrong with my rear suspension? Before putting on the drag radials I could change a lane in the same manner and the car would feel like it was glued to the road. I do need the traction of a drag radial but I don't like that feeling at all. Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what pressure are you running? what size are they? sounds like its the thread moving relative to the wheel, the soft sidewalls prolly have soemthing to do with it
I'm running 30psi at the current moment. . . . it's the tires that have tread on the outer portion, the middle is basically bald (by design, not by usage!)

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
I'm running 30psi at the current moment. . . . it's the tires that have tread on the outer portion, the middle is basically bald (by design, not by usage!)
hey man with the car parked push really hard on the wheel and see how much it squirms to the side, maybe this is the design on a drag radial but I dont know, I think you should just call BFG

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
Be careful.

Those drag radials, although sticky when warm, are like rolling sponges... both up and down and side-to-side.

They don't, nor will, act like your front tires. Having mismatched tires can completely change your cars handling. In your case, you can't do what you used to do with matching shoes all the way around.

I drove on drag radials for a year, I'm well aware of their HUGE handling limitations and their contribution to an unpredictable suspension.

What you are experiencing is normal.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I agree, any type of softer rubber compound tire for racing will give you the feel of the car swaying. You can actually push the back side of your car and see tire flex in and out from the rubbers softness. If you think thats bad, try driving with slicks, about 10 times worse.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses, I figured that was part of the characteristic of a drag radial. . . .I just have to be a little bit more careful. I'm weighing the advantages and disadvantages of DR's. . . and here are my results:

Advantages:
Super Traction (obviously)
Aggresive looking

Disadvantages:
Terrifying in the rain!!!
Very short tread life
Vague handling
More puncture prone
Throws rocks everywhere

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
Thanks for the responses, I figured that was part of the characteristic of a drag radial. . . .I just have to be a little bit more careful. I'm weighing the advantages and disadvantages of DR's. . . and here are my results:

Advantages:
Super Traction (obviously)
Aggresive looking

Disadvantages:
Terrifying in the rain!!!
Very short tread life
Vague handling
More puncture prone
Throws rocks everywhere
Yep. It's a single purpose tire.... straight line traction. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts