Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm not asking this to get a flame fest going, just an honest question. Anyone do a BB in a C5? It's one of the reasons I like the C4 because it's possible. But a C5? Is it possible?
Just something about a torque monster that gets me daydreaming. I like both the C4 and C5, just not sure which I'll end up with.
Thanks
:cheers:

B

·
0 Posts
I don't think it can be done. Not enough room in there!

Biggest small block I've heard of is the 427.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by BIG LAW MAN ...<br>

Biggest small block I've heard of is the 427.<br>
One of the mags covered a build up of a 454 small block. So they're creeping up in size. Not cheap though.

How tight is it in the engine bay with your SB??

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts

Biggest small block I've heard of is the 427.<br>
That isn't bigger. The cubic inches is not the size of the block, but the volume of the space in the cylinders.... in other words, it's pure air (when not running).

A 427 that is based on the LS1, is the same size as the LS1 motor.

You can get 1100 HP out of the LS1. It's probably much cheaper to just build what you have, instead of putting in a BB.

AND AS FOR FLAMING....

This is digitalcorvettes, we are too silly to flame.:thumbsup:

B

·
0 Posts
No **** sherlock, I said the "biggest SMALL block" meaning in displacement not in physical size.

I think it is impossible for you to fit a larger bottom end in the C5.

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
No **** sherlock, I said the "biggest SMALL block" meaning in displacement not in physical size.

I think it is impossible for you to fit a larger bottom end in the C5.<br>
DORK! "Biggest" implies size of something. And, would be the wrong term to describe cylinders!:spanked:

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Originally posted by raidmagic ...<br>
And now Joe you have your flamefest:D<br>
Joe! We are just teasing, not flaming. Big Law Man and I are pals, even more so with my wife!:laughing:

No hostility here!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Originally posted by raidmagic ...<br>
And now Joe you have your flamefest:D<br>
:laughing:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,568 Posts
The only flames around here are on the cars

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are having too much fun here.:partyon:

So it's basically bottom end size that would be the restriction to a swap. I take it the C4 has more room then to accept the swap.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
You guys are having too much fun here.:partyon:
Killer,isn't it.
:laughing: those two are about the only one's who can talk like that to each other....:smokin:

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Patrick96LT4 ...<br>
DORK! "Biggest" implies size of something. And, would be the wrong term to describe cylinders!:spanked:<br>
Listen Slapnuts....Displacement is a quantified substance, even if it is AIR, therefore can be measured and a larger displacement is BIGGER than a smaller displacement!! Do I have to draw you a picture zippy?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Listen Slapnuts....Displacement is a quantified substance, even if it is AIR, therefore can be measured and a larger displacement is BIGGER than a smaller displacement!! Do I have to draw you a picture zippy?:rolleyes:<br>
You guys wouldn't happen to be twins separated at birth or something to that effect, eh???
:laughing:

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Listen Slapnuts....Displacement is a quantified substance, even if it is AIR, therefore can be measured and a larger displacement is BIGGER than a smaller displacement!! Do I have to draw you a picture zippy?:rolleyes:<br>
WRONGO! Want a shovel for the hole yer diggin?

Listen, little-winky.... since when does someone say "I've got really big cylinders". Displacement (in motor terms) is the volume displaced by da pistons... or volumetric displacement.

You said "Biggest small block I've heard of is the 427." And, the "small block" is an engine block. And, you said it (the small block) was big, and I stand correct in saying that you were using the wrong language.

So, in your language the 427 small block is bigger than the same block with less displacement. Which is UNTRUE.

The 427 "small block" can actually have less mass/weight than a lower displacement motor (of the same block) because the 427 block has removed more material from boring the cylinders.

This is assuming that every thing else stays the same proportionately. That would also give you a smaller "block" size. So, in actuality the 427 can be the smallest block (based on weight/mass).

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
So it's basically bottom end size that would be the restriction to a swap. I take it the C4 has more room then to accept the swap.
:thumbsup:<br>[/QUOTE]

The C4 was built around the L98/LT1/LT4 engines, which share their motor mount and belhousing bolt patterns, along with thier oil pan dimensions, with Mark IV and Mark V Big Blocks; so dropping a big block in a C4 is a manageable possibility (we did a 502 in a C4 as a development mule once at the GM DPG). The LS1 engine introduced in the C5 shares none its mounting locations or physical dimensions with either the big blocks or the previous generation small blocks. The total height of an LS1/LS6 from the bottom of the oil pan to the top of the air plenum is only something like 18 inches, if memory serves me right. The height of a Mark V big block from the bottom of the pan to the top of the intake manifold is 24+ inches. Add 8 more inches for induction and an air cleaner, and you have an engine that's more than a foot taller. The valve covers would be higher than the hood line of the C5, which would create one goofy looking car. Add in the weight differential, and the car would no longer handle like a C5, either.

Take an LS1 and out a Magnacharger blower on it, and you can make over 500 lb ft of torque with the right exhaust, which is exactly what a 502 marine engine makes. Big Blocks don't necesarily make more power just because they have bigger pistons. it's all about balance...

B

·
0 Posts
Patty, I give up....I obviously need a gawd damn jack hammer to get through your thick skull.

If you can't understand how a 427 can be referred to as a "bigger" motor as far as displacement, then I feel you need professional assistance. :rolling:

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by JoeAngelicchio ...<br>
You guys wouldn't happen to be twins separated at birth or something to that effect, eh???
:laughing:<br>
That is one reason Patty and I get along so well is that we are very much the same.

Except for him being more ugly and his really tiny pecker, we could be brothers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts