Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, i was wondering if anyone has done or know anyone who has converted a c1 into a big block car? We are restomodding a 62 and putting a 454 in the engine compartment but need some help with motor mounts and headers if possible. Anyone have any ideas? Also, we need to get some chrome refinished..anyone have any suggestions for a good chrome shop ?

Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Down in Cape May !

I am as far south on the parkway as you can go ! Exit 4 to be exact. I am keeping the origianl frame so i made some custom solid motor mounts. Kinda like hybrid mid plates. My problem is headers. I am using 2" OD primary so needless to say with the stock steering column things are going to be tight. Fabricating true equal length headers headers for it is giong to be a real PIA to say the least but i must keep pecking away at it. We may end up swapping one of those bolt in IFS systems up front with the disc brakes and rack and pinion but i have not talked to enough people who have made the change to see what it involves. Can you email me pics of your car ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Big Block Mount

Just joined this forum and looking for similar info on the exhaust side. I was lucky enought to find a Hurst engine mount on Ebay and snatched it up. Don't know hoew to upload pics here but I can email them if you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Z11

I have since fabbed up some motor plates for the front. We just ordered the Martz IFS front end for it which will free up the space i need getting rid of the factory steering box which was killing me trying to mock up headers. Should go pretty smoothly from here on out after i get the front end installed with the rack and pinion. My email is [email protected] if you dont mind sending the pictures you have of your mounts?

·
Registered
176 Posts
i did a big block in a 58 years ago. i had to fab and weld brackets to the frame for the stock side motor mounts to bolt to. the 2 things i remember is hood clearance was tight and clearance at the steering box was REALLY tight, but it is doable. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Big Block 59

I am building a big block '59 frame conversion car using one of Billy Dawson's frames with C4 suspension, 572 cu.in. GM crate motor with home made headers. Haven't done much work on the car for the last 6 months due to other projects, but hope to get back to work on it soon. Here is a website that has pictures of my project. http://www.carols62.com/59

·
Registered
8 Posts
17" C1 wheels

I am building a big block '59 frame conversion car using one of Billy Dawson's frames with C4 suspension, 572 cu.in. GM crate motor with home made headers. Haven't done much work on the car for the last 6 months due to other projects, but hope to get back to work on it soon. Here is a website that has pictures of my project. http://www.carols62.com/59
Any one seeking 17" Corvette wheels fashoned after C1 Wheel covers, check these out! http://www.roybriziostreetrods.com/progress/brizio55/index.htm
Roy Brisio has had these made for his 55 Chevy. They are way sweet.

·
DC Crew
3,080 Posts
LONG TIME AGO BACK IN 1962 i PUT A 1962 "409 / 409 " IN A 1956 CORVETTE it was some work but it ran like hell on wheels!!! have to think but had to have headers made and into dumps and my pipes welded to the dumps >> even with stock type mufflers it was loud as hell ! my best friend got a ticket for loud pipes >> only testing the car out one night at 300am

1 - 13 of 13 Posts