Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Excellent work, Bill!! It warms my heart to see a Big Block Beast going into a beautiful '78. ;) I can't wait to see the final result...an amazing '78 that will burn Z06s. ;) :D

Any idea about a paint job? Going to keep the black? Or looking for a new one? I would like to hear your ideas. Transmission? Rear gear (go 4.11 so you can really get that torque to the wheels ;))?

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The Plan:

I plan to paint it Black. Before I paint it I also want to flare the wheels, and get big footprint tires. I still have not decided what rims to get, but they will have to be wide enough and offset enough to handle the foot plus wide tires.

I will also have to have an L88 hood in order to clear the Big Block...but then I have always thought L88 hoods were pretty mean looking.

As far as the rear gears, right now I have a 3.08 in it, and I plan to have the differential rebuilt before I get back on the road. Since I am going with something like a Richmond 6 speed trans, I may keep the 3.08, or maybe 3.55.

I am also definitely going to get a set of Hooker Header Sidepipes. I think they are the coolest looking thing that can be added to a Shark.

Before I get to any of this however, I need to build up the Big Block, and finish the suspension, which is what I am working on right now.

Bill

www.bigdogvettes.com

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
NOthing like a little progress.:thumbsup: I want my name 1st on the list for rides.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, mig! wish I had one.

Just a stick welder. I am using 6013 rods to keep the splatter down to a minimum, and I can position the frame however I need to get the best weld I can since there is nothing on the frame.

Thanks for the thickness info!

Bill

www.bigdogvettes.com

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Patrick96LT4 said:
That project looks great. How do you find the time?
That is the most difficult part of this project. I try to spend a couple of hours a day on it, but even that does always work out. Between work and picking the kids up from school, I have a small window of time to devote to the Vette.

Fortunately my wife is a car nut as well, and keeps encouraging me to go out to the garage....or maybe she does not want me in the house....Wow, I just thought of that!

No really, after the Vette project, she want me to build her a 70 or 71 Chevelle Big Block. She helped her Dad on a few project cars, so this way of living come natural to her.

Bill

www.bigdogvettes.com

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Great Project, Bill!

Black is the MEANEST color you can paint a C3.

I've built 10 cars, but never one with a big block. Someday I will. Will you use the TB injection from the truck, or a carb, or aftermarket port injection? Iron or aluminum heads? how crazy are you going on the cam?

I think you're making a good call on the Richmond six speed. These are good, strong trannies. I used one in a 69 camaro that I built for a friend about 6 years ago. We spec'd his ring and pinion at 2.73, and he still roasted the tires hard in 1st and second with a 380 horse 350. These trannies have serious low ratios in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Don't gear your differential too low (no lower than 3.23 IMO) or you'll never get that big torque monster to hook. If your 3.08 gears are in good shape, I'd re-use those.

Will you use offset rear trailing arms with your fender flares to clear wider tires?

I'm getting all excited just reading this thread, and I just fininshed a major project!

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I have always loved black cars! When I was about 15, my older brother had a 57 Chevy that he painted black in our garage, and I was hooked ever since.

I had a 68 Camaro that I dropped a 427 in and had a blast, and got into trouble a few times with, but those were fun days!

Also had a 69 Chevelle SS 396, but I just drove it, no mods.

This will be my third Big Block but first as a project build, and I am pretty pumped about it!

As far as induction, my plans are to use a large 4 barrel for a while as I recover from the expenses of building the Vette, then I want to get port injection.

I have not settled on the cam just yet, but I am leaning towards a solid lift since this will not be a daily driver.

I really want aluminum heads, but I may have to wait until I finish the project and add them later. The heads I have are 118cc w/ large oval ports and 2.19/1.88 valves, so these are pretty decent heads for the street.

Definitely going with offset T-Arms, because I want to fill the wheel wells with lots of rubber. Still have not decided on what rims to get.

I am going to have the differential rebuilt before I get back on the street, and probably will keep the 3.08.

For a while there, I was undecided about using automatic, or manual, and everybody I know talked me into the manual....actually did not take much talking. I still have to get the 6 speed before I drop the body back on the frame, so I can rework the crossmember with out much trouble. 69Myway's Killer Vette was an inspiration to me about the Richmond 6 speed.

Bill

www.bigdogvettes.com

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
DAMN, I thought I had alot of work ahead of me!!
When do you expect to get her on the road??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts