Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, enough of the noob, I'm here, look at me threads. Onto some serious stuff....

I'm trying to finish my SB to BB conversion and am stuck...literally. I managed to squeeze the bad boy in but the valve covers and stuck. The passenger side isn't too bad, the wiper door actuator is blocking it but that's easy to remove. The driver's side is the pain. It's currently AGAINST the booster and also the booster is covering the last hold down bolt and I haven't been able to get to it yet. I'll post some pics down below....

So, can you guys recommend some valve covers to give some more clearance, especially on the driver's side so I can actually remove them somewhat easily? I was thinking of the fabricated type cause they seem to have a nice little slope to them on the sides but I'm not sure if it's going to be enough. I measured and I have about 2.5" from the top of my gasket and the top of the rockers.
Oh yeah, and I'm on a budget! :bang

Yikes, sorry about the size. This forum doesn't seem to automatically resize images either.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Looks like C2 valve covers would work. My dad has a set of them that are taller than stock. Not sure where got them though. Although they are a bit plain and may not be what your looking for.

You could also use a smaller boost, or maybe even upgrade to a hydraboost

·
Registered
152 Posts
TShort, something is different than the BB's I have. First off, what motor are you using.....It isn't one of those new tall block 572 crate motors is it? Either that or you must have some awful tall valve covers.

Here is a pic of my 69 427 with old Edelbrock'x on it, and they are pretty tall themselves.

Here is the RamJet 502 for ref.

Bullshark

·
Registered
512 Posts
You could use the newer style die cast aluminum GM Gen 6 valve covers (like they use on the 502). The corners are beveled and they will clear the booster easily. They also have a nice reusable O-ring style gasket.

I am assuming they will clear a Mark 4 stock valve train, but I couldn't swear to it. Maybe someone here will know.

Edit: There you go, Bullshark has a picture of them!

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I have a set of 454 valve covers that were on a big block Camaro I used to own let me get a measurement on them and if they are short enough you can have them for the cost of shipping. THat should fit your budget and not hit your booster.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know what the deal is with my car. Even with my small blocks I seemed to always have less clearance than others. I bought the motor from a guy that had it in his '68 vette. He said the block was original but the deck had been cut so the numbers were gone and he didn't plan on ever selling it so the original block didn't have a special value to him. He just bought a new big inch Shafiroff (or however it's spelled) engine and needed to sell this one for some extra cash. Point is, the block 'should' be a standard height block straight from another BB C3. The Moroso covers that are on it now are pretty tall though.
I've also got a hood clearance problem. Right now I can't get the air cleaner lid on under the hood and I have only about 1/16" clearance above vent tubes on carb. I think I'm gonna cut the vent tubes down a little and just seal the fiilter to the hood with some sort of foam. Same setup that Jim (427HotRod) has been running for years.

This may sound picky but I do want something that looks good. No offense to the stock guys but I'm not after a stock valve cover. I'd like something a little more aftermarket or race looking. I've always like the fabricated ones. I did find some others from Moroso but they're $$$
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_389490_-1
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_127002_-1

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Best way to tell if it is a tall block or standard block is look at the top water pump bolt compared to the deck. If there is an inch or more, it is a tall deck block, but if it is about 1/2 inch or less from the bolt to the deck then it is a standard deck big block.

Just FYI

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Raidmagic, sorry, I didn't see your post before my last post. Didn't mean to come off rude. I appreciate your offer but for now I'm going to try to find something new/aftermarket. I've only got 3 weeks though until the Cruise-In.

Here's a pic of the block. Can anyone tell if this a standard height block?

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
that's a short deck, a tall deck has a good bit more meat above the water pump bolt hole (easiest to recognise there)

You need some of these:

I have the older K&N ones but they are very tall and probably woduln't fit.

What kind of heads do you have? Maybe some darts or soemthing else with taller rails making the cover sit much higher?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Travis, TNBUSA has a set of fabricated ones but he still had to get the drivers
side cut down. I don't know if his is a tall deck or not.

One thing he needs is your drop base. Will that fit a Dominator and how much is
the drop on it. He is like you and is on the short side of time till cruise in. We
NEED to have his car there with a hood on it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
TShort, FYI, Just took a closer look at RamJet....... 1.5" clearance between the valve cover and the brake booster.

Bullshark

·
Registered
966 Posts
What kind of rockers are on the engine? If they aren't roller rockers, you won't need tall valve covers. I think there is actually one version of the factory big block valve covers that have a "clearance dent" back by the brake booster.

DD

·
Registered
512 Posts
TShort, FYI, Just took a closer look at RamJet....... 1.5" clearance between the valve cover and the brake booster.

Bullshark
Those are the beveled GM ones I was talking about. You see any issues with them with Mark 4 heads? The ones I have don't have the O-ring gasket, but I can't see where they won't seal or clear the valvetrain.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Those are the beveled GM ones I was talking about. You see any issues with them with Mark 4 heads? The ones I have don't have the O-ring gasket, but I can't see where they won't seal or clear the valvetrain.
I am told they will work fine.....unless you are running roller rockers. Then you need to grind off some cast in oil deflector prongs. I have not taken the valve covers off RamJet yet, so I can't describe what they look like.

I do know I have seen these available off fleabay for somewhere in the neighborhood of $50

Bullshark

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Bullshark!!

You just scared the K rap out of me. Your first picture, with the loop of hose over the top of the cover-- I thought it was a

Had to look again!

:surprised

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A lot of your questions are in my signature.
Eddie, yes, 1050 Dominator carb. The drop base is from a company called Richardson Racing Products:
http://www.rrpinc.com/catalog/air_cleaners.htm
1 5/8" drop, 16" filter
Tell Mike, TNBUSA, he's GOT to make it to Cruise-In!!!! I've been dying to see his vette.

My heads are Dart Pro1 310cc's.
Full roller rockers.
Those carbon fiber covers are really cool but very $$$ and I'd be a little afraid drilling holes in them for breather/pcv.

Here is my valve train:

In fact, you can follow along my install on our webpage:
http://www.nwhoustonvette-rods.com/Travis_427/Travis427Reassembly.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was actually wondering about that too. I'm using the same poly mounts I used on my small block. At least with the poly's the engine won't be moving around as much as with rubber.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Those carbon fiber covers are really cool but very $$$ and I'd be a little afraid drilling holes in them for breather/pcv.
I don't know how much they are but drilling them isn't that bad, I drilled mine. Just use some masking tape over them and use a sharp (new) holesaw w/ a sharp pilot drill.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts