Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tearing down the Gen V Big Block this afternoon, and out of curiosity I weighed the heads and intake. The heads with valves and dirt still on weighs 76 pounds each.

This particular motor was a throttle body engine. I was amazed at how much the intake weighed when I pulled it. Putting it on the scale showed 58 pounds!

When I reassemble this engine, I am definitely going with an aluminum intake, most likely with a large 4 barrel. One day, I plan to get a fuel injected setup for it. I eventually will get aluminum heads for it, but I may use these iron heads at first in order to get the Vette on the road quicker.

Bill

http://home.earthlink.net/~bigdogvettes/index.html

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,516 Posts
All that extra weight can be a killer. We always figured 100# was worth a .10 second in the 1/4 mile

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
That is alot of weight but unless you plan on doing alot of racingI don't think you will notice it. When that thing roars to life you'll smile just the same.:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Can't remember for sure, but I believe my Edelbrock aluminum bb heads weighed 35 lbs each. It is a huge weight savings.

Cast iron sb heads are right at 50 lbs each, and 76 sounds dead on for bb cast iron heads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts