Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is another project we are elbow deep in. this is a beautiful 71 to start out with. we are tasked with an efi conversion, brake upgrades, offset trailing arms to accommodate the rims we are installing, it already has a tremec 5 speed trans but we are gonna convert clutch control to hydraulic. n get rid of all that z-bar and anti rattle spring and ball stud and shift fork stuff. also we are changing the gas tank, changing gears in the diff and theres probably more in the list i am not remembering. i will post pics of the progress and build as it unfolds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Dude , i mean really , can you keep this stuff out of A CAR BUILD THREAD !!! I get that you dont like autowiz but enough is enough , keep your sh*t private with him eh ?

:agree:

Catch up with you one of these days Bazza :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice- but I'm partial to Silver AND 71s!!!

Looks pretty clean- but it kills me -all that work and looks like they slapped the power wire for the fuel pump in there!!!

PS- What's a "Hellcat?" Is that a nickname for Hillary? That scares me!!!
Fear Not. and remember these pics. much of the wiring under the hood bugs the hell out of me, too. good thing i am installing fast easy efi on this beast. i will get to clean all that up. had a very hard time getting the transmission and bellhousing out of the car. so much so that i think tomorrow i am gonna pull the engine and install the engine and transmission together. i am not sure about that yet, but whatever i do, i will take pics.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
today was a productive day. i got started on the brake conversion and got the hydraulic clutch conversion setup. i have done a bunch of these already so they are smooth sailing going in for me.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
then i made some progress on the electric fan conversion and efi installation. anybody who has ever owned a big block c3 knows they run hot. in these pictures you can see some of the ways we make the big block cars run a little cooler.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
today i got the new vacuum reservoir mounted, got the efi box installed, harness passed through firewall, and basically just a bunch more wiring.

while wiring the efi, I came across this. I immediately identified it. the second i saw it i new what this was and was for. and suddenly i look back at all the other fast efi installs i have seen and can't help but wonder why there were fuel regulators used. for anybody who is unsure, this...

REPLACES this...

there is also a fuel pressure sensor which confirms that this unit is gonna pwm the fuel pump to bring it to a desired pressure and hold that pressure. just like the c6 and c7 corvettes do it. anyways here are some of the parts i will be installing next week...

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got the trailing arms installed. they are real nice. they have solid bushings up front.

and i got wildwood 2 pc rotors assembled and hung with the new 4 and 6 piston calipers. looks incredible.

And the boss himself mounted these today.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Questions-

Are you going w/ the coilovers on the rear?

Did you safety wire the hats?

Why didn't you go w/ the 14" on the front- it's only a like $100 more than the 13"s? Could probably find enough change under the seats to do that!!!

Richard
not at this point. i think the offset trailing arms are to clear the new rims. idk what size the fronts are. and the rotors are bolted down to the hats with red Loctite and torqued to 140 in/lb before the .032 dia. safety wire went on pairs of the bolts. :thumbsup: obviously you have seen these style rotors before. tomorrow the clutch and transmission go back in. gotta take some careful measurements for shimming the new hydraulic clutch slave.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
not at this point. i think the offset trailing arms are to clear the new rims. idk what size the fronts are. and the rotors are bolted down to the hats with red Loctite and torqued to 140 in/lb before the .032 dia. safety wire went on pairs of the bolts. :thumbsup: obviously you have seen these style rotors before. tomorrow the clutch and transmission go back in. gotta take some careful measurements for shimming the new hydraulic clutch slave.
I was just gonna say since you went w/ the new trailing arms w/ the johnny joints- the coilover set up is sort of a no branier as it's only $500-600 more. Plus they are really easy to install.
I went w/ Vansteels's front and rear.

As far as the brakes- The 14"- made sense to me for a little over a hundred bucks to get the extra rotor surface area. Those you have on the front are 13"s.

A helpful hint when doing the brake lines up front- get a 45º AN fitting and it will put the brake line where you need them- well worth the $30!!!

DSCN3920_zps92fb8c93 by richardhayes454, on Flickr

You can see w/ the AN-3 45º lines up great w/ the factory tab plus the brake line moves where you want it lock to lock w/ no binding-
DSCN5119 by richardhayes454, on Flickr

Shim for the clutch- been there done that- I had an extra input shaft mount that I milled down for my shim.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nice pics. we take our measurements a little differently. we measure from the back of the bell to the assembled clutch. i just setup the dual friction centerforce today so here's some pics...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Thanks- I measured that as well...My set up is just a little different. A BMW V12 flywheel cut- drilled and pinned for a Chevy clutch...The Bellhousing is from a BMW Auto box milled down and ½" aluminum plate welded to it for a Chevy bolt pattern...

Test fit w/ Richmond 6 speed-

Ended up going w/ a TKO 500

DSCN4073 by richardhayes454, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 50 Posts