Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I'm on my second z06, but neither car has (had) the sheer acceleration of a factory 502 bb.

Change the heads/cam on the 502 and 500hp --> 700hp. Also, it's an easy swap in a c3.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Cool show thanks for Sharing. I love my LS AND I Wouldn't trade it for a big block either, but I sure like a built big block as well.

Terry

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's my favorite Youtube show. My buddies and I want to do our own adventures...but we haven't yet. We will try and hit power tour in Norwalk this year with my wait for it wait for it....Mustang. My Vette is not nearly done.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
You guys can have them LS Ill take all the Big Blocks. Im to old to be thinking I need a laptop to tune my car and a computer to tell me what went wrong. :devil:

·
Super Moderator
8,482 Posts
I liked the show you linked too, and theres zero doubt a LS based engine can produce impressive power, but because I build easily 8-9 big blocks for every other engine design I build (INCLUDING SMALL BLOCKS) I have a bit different perspective and Id point out that if your willing to spend some cash the big block engine has a great deal of research already done,and parts availability and while 700hp is impressive its certainly not even approaching what a properly build big block can provide.
keep in mind that for street use anything much over about 1 hp for every 6 lbs of car weight will require a great deal of suspension and drive train mods to remain semi street-able,and if you stick a couple turbos , on a properly built big block, and use E85 as fuel, you can make absurd power levels

http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehicles/ccrp_0905_twin_turbo_big_block_chevy/

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0911_twin_turbo_big_block_chevy/

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
That show was fun to watch.
I thought the totally unscientific results of this jalopnik article were interning.

http://jalopnik.com/the-10-best-engines-of-the-last-20-years-1510676043?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I totally understand the lust over a big block and that is why I thought the Craig's list find was cool. For what I want to do the ls works out better. Good mileage, good power, and most of all it was sitting in my car when I bought it. :)

There is no wrong answer here. Just what is right for you and I hope we are all able to get what we want.

Bug: are you going to be on the power tour when it comes through Iowa?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not Iowa My buddies and I were hoping to make the stop in Norwalk. We are across the river from Detroit Iowa is on my bucket list though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
give me a fat rat anyway. those ls motors are pretty good but they are ugly! and when one of your sensors goes bad i will call the tow truck for you.:nuts:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Actually the modern motors are easy to work on because of the sensors, retrieve the trouble code and youre on your way to fixing the problem. The modern motors arent bad to look at if you take the time to dress it it up, just like any other motor. I've seen some pretty nice looking LS motors.

Terry

·
Registered
354 Posts
Actually the modern motors are easy to work on because of the sensors, retrieve the trouble code and youre on your way to fixing the problem. The modern motors arent bad to look at if you take the time to dress it it up, just like any other motor. I've seen some pretty nice looking LS motors.

Terry
Guess you have never had a newer engine that ran, poorly but never gave a CEL.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm on my second z06, but neither car has (had) the sheer acceleration of a factory 502 bb.

Change the heads/cam on the 502 and 500hp --> 700hp. Also, it's an easy swap in a c3.
That's what I've got in my 69. Crate 502, upgraded cam, aluminum heads and intake, dual quads, 3" headers with magnaflows...I'm putting out better than 650 RWHP. Easy drop in too.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The one drawback of the bb is the weight. If I had the money it would be nice to try an alum block bb or one of those hybrid sbc's with LS heads (ohio crankshaft sells one). The hybrid would drop right in.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Well I guess it's time I chimed in. I made the decision to install a modern day BBC 496 completely stock from GM, a donor engine that was used in pickups, motor homes and box trucks. It weighs a bout 700 LBS and I couldn't care less. I'm not going racing and I want beat a Vette to death that I have spent my hard earned money and very long hours on. That being said, I wanted something different that no one else has. Something modern that will make me smile when I do hit the gas. I know it's not for everyone but it pleases me and that is what counts. I love the fact that I can get in it and it cranks and drives away without stumbling before it warms up. I like the fact that it will get 14 to 17 MPG unlike the old BBC that get 6 to 10 MPG. The best thing about it is if I dont like it I can install it in a boat, generator, water pump truck or anything else that needs monster torque and drop a LS in the Vette.:rolling:

So here's to the BBC 496 :cheers:

Mark

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Well I guess it's time I chimed in. I made the decision to install a modern day BBC 496 completely stock from GM, a donor engine that was used in pickups, motor homes and box trucks. It weighs a bout 700 LBS and I couldn't care less. I'm not going racing and I want beat a Vette to death that I have spent my hard earned money and very long hours on. That being said, I wanted something different that no one else has. Something modern that will make me smile when I do hit the gas. I know it's not for everyone but it pleases me and that is what counts. I love the fact that I can get in it and it cranks and drives away without stumbling before it warms up. I like the fact that it will get 14 to 17 MPG unlike the old BBC that get 6 to 10 MPG. The best thing about it is if I dont like it I can install it in a boat, generator, water pump truck or anything else that needs monster torque and drop a LS in the Vette.:
So here's to the BBC 496 :cheers:

Mark
A word of caution, all that torque can break rear ends and axles that are 30 yrs old. And if you have nice body work, try to stiffen the frame, as it twists and the body work/gaps get messed up. Also, my one car always got cracks around the headlight openings.

But you are right, it will make you smile.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts