Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four years ago while having my truck serviced at my local GM dealer, I wandered over to the Chevrolet Sales Department and test drove a new black on black Z-06. Wow what a ride! The salesman that rode with me promised never to ride with me again in a Corvette. I still kid him about it everytime I'm in the dealership. Anyway to make a long story even longer, a few weeks later while on a road trip up to Ohio to see all the in-laws, I told my wife while we were between Bowling Green and Cleveland that I was going to buy a Corvette. She blew a gasket! I mean you never heard all the things that she wanted before I bought my dream,... new house, our kids' college savings, big fat retirement account, furniture, etc. Nevermind that she was wearing my last toy on her left ring finger (mint 65' Coupe deVille) or I hadn't had any fun since 1996 when we got hitched.

On the way back home we stopped in Bowling Green and I took a plant tour where they let me first start a Torch Red Z-06. We all went to the museum and really had a good time even spent the night before heading home. Somewhere between Nashville and the Texas border we had another heated discussion about my plan.

A week later I went back to the dealer to test drive a 50th Anniversary Edition six speed coupe with every option available right down to the license plate frames. That was it, I was done, I bought a new Corvette. Man what a thrill. Then the classic buyer's remorse set in and I was scared what the repercussions were going to be at home, so I hid it in a friend's warehouse till I could figure out how to break the news. For three weeks I had this new car that I couldn't even drive home. Then one day I got brave and went home in it. I picked up our two kids at the preschool and went to meet my wife at our favorite cafeteria near her work. Let's just say she was shocked.
She called my mom after we ate and didn't come home for at least a couple of hours. My mom called me and told me how selfish I was being buying a sports car. She went on to say my late father would have never done such a thing. Ouch, that hurt.

But, life's too short not to have fun, my dad died at 66 and left a lot wealth that he never got to enjoy after he retired the year before. I kept telling myself this, as an excuse to make me feel better, and anyone else that would listen.

My wife went and saw a divorce attorney that summer but elected not to start preceedings right away.

To be continued......

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hmm, interesting story so far. Does it have a happy ending???

As I am currently in "negotiations" with my wife to buy my first Vette next year, this is interesting to me. Which part was the big mistake? Was it buying a Corvette? (hopefully not!) Not telling your wife right away when you did buy it? Getting married?

Looking forward to part two...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Damn!
My wife bought mine for me as a surprize while I was doing a tour in the middle east. Picked me up at the airport when I came home on mid-tour

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
This is more motivation for me to not get married.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
This is more motivation for me to not get married.
Im with ya bud. I might not make much money, but I do make 100% of the decisions about what gets done with that money :laughing:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
When I bought my car my wife went on every outing I did to go look at them. It took over three months for me to find the one I wanted and she was right by my side the whole time.
Good luck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Four years ago while having my truck serviced at my local GM dealer, .......

...... My wife went and saw a divorce attorney that summer but elected not to start preceedings right away.

To be continued......
Now mind you that part of my reasoning for buying the two seat vehicle was that it only had room for her and myself (we already owned a crew cab truck and a Suburban). It was my plan to make it our getaway car. Our first trip being the 50th Party in Nashville. She wouldn't go, I went without her. Finally a month later I got her to go on a date one Saturday night with dinner and dancing, I even let her drive (Poor girl never learned how to drive a stick shift properly, too much clutch, not enough right foot).

Over the next couple of years we had several dates in the car, with the night ending romantically. Our relationship was getting better, we were doing events with the local Corvette club and making new friends. However, if we got into a disagreement about anything, she always threw the Corvette in my face. I apologized continually, and begged for forgiveness.

I tried unsuccessfully to sell the car many times, and decided with depreciation and all to refinance for the long haul since I was going to keep it.

This past year sometime in the Fall she said, "we should keep the vette and maybe use it someday to finance some major purchase later on down the road." Well, as luck would have it that attitude changed in a month or two and she began to really hate the car. In fact she recently told me she hated all Corvettes because of this one.

Unbeknownst to me she had begun to manipulate our household funds over the past couple of years. I run a business and take care of all the finances associated with said. She has always kept our checkbook and taken care of paying the bills. This woman makes six figures a year and my business does as well. The costs associated with running a business can take their toll on the $$$ a fellow brings home. However, she has yet to make a payment on that Corvette.

I will continue ... later.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
to refinance for the long haul since I was going to keep it.

This woman makes six figures a year and my business does as well.
Six figures and a business for write offs and you have to refinance. you should be paying cash for the toys.....:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Banned
176 Posts
My friends wife is like yours in the anti-vette way. A lot of wifes are. I'm not trying to bash, but there is a balance that needs to be struck. Some women think that they marry a guy and they are their mom now. Everything in life that they want comes first. The guy goes out and does the hunter gathering thing, drops off the check and has to eat dinner in the living room while the kids fight and mom watches reruns of Oprah or As the World Turns. Once in awhile they get sweet to hook you in and continue to run your life completely. Is it worth is? Maybe. Not for me.
Same with my friend, everytime they fight she bitches about the vette. Ummm, go but what you want gal and stop driving the Honda Accord. They are both DR's and no kids. Dad is a CPA tight ass fool and he's always looking down his nose in his 25 year old car and 30 year old suit.
Do what you want, be your own man. Consider her feelings as far as she considers yours, she will stay or go.
My wife is cool with whatever I do, or she would not be my wife. Some guys are like "your wife let's you do that?" I'm like, my wife does not LET me do anything. We discuss. We plan. We arrive at compromise at times and we move on in life.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now mind you that part of .... I will continue ... later.
So fast forward to this past few months, she has been secretly seeing an attorney. On April 26th I was served with a Divorce Petition. That night I went home and we followed our regular routine of me cooking dinner and calling everyone into eat. While our children ate and she started to make her plate, I announced that Mom had something she wanted to read to everyone and laid the papers on the counter. She ran out of the room like a Lingenfelter Twin Turbo. The kids and I followed her to the master bedroom where she refused to discuss what she had done. It broke our youngest daughter's heart. The oldest couldn't believe what Mom had done. I was still in a state of shock. My wife did bring up that Dad had bought a Corvette. The kids said, "but, Mom, you buy things too, look at this and this and this." she eventually sat on the floor with her head in her hands not speaking or giving any indications.

It's been a rough couple of weeks, and no one has left the house. My attorney actually advised me as such. He said it could reflect abandonement on the custody suit which we have counter filed. There are many more gory details to which I won't bore you with. She just keeps saying "THAT CORVETTE".

Now I'm going to make a grand gesture. This MAN is going to sell, "THAT CORVETTE" and see if he can salvage his children's lives. I love that car but my kids mean more to me than being selfish. I do love this woman and I want to get this resolved.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
So fast forward to this past few months, she has been secretly seeing an attorney. On April 26th I was served with a Divorce Petition. That night I went home and we followed our regular routine of me cooking dinner and calling everyone into eat. While our children ate and she started to make her plate, I announced that Mom had something she wanted to read to everyone and laid the papers on the counter. She ran out of the room like a Lingenfelter Twin Turbo. The kids and I followed her to the master bedroom where she refused to discuss what she had done. It broke our youngest daughter's heart. The oldest couldn't believe what Mom had done. I was still in a state of shock. My wife did bring up that Dad had bought a Corvette. The kids said, "but, Mom, you buy things too, look at this and this and this." she eventually sat on the floor with her head in her hands not speaking or giving any indications.

It's been a rough couple of weeks, and no one has left the house. My attorney actually advised me as such. He said it could reflect abandonement on the custody suit which we have counter filed. There are many more gory details to which I won't bore you with. She just keeps saying "THAT CORVETTE".

Now I'm going to make a grand gesture. This MAN is going to sell, "THAT CORVETTE" and see if he can salvage his children's lives. I love that car but my kids mean more to me than being selfish. I do love this woman and I want to get this resolved.

If you know of anyone that may be interested in a PERFECT 50th Anniversary Edition six speed coupe with only 16,000 miles send them my way. I'll take a little hit just to make it move. You may email me directly [email protected]

no offense intended, and not to judge from a distance, but it sounds like you've got bigger problems than selling your vette, man. you haven't painted the best picture of this whole situation, and I think if I were in your shoes, I'd just send her on her way. It's not about the car. it's about the fact that she's trying to control you.....it's an unfortunate situation but it sounds to me if she's never going to be OK with you having a fun car you can enjoy and like, you're never going to be happy. marriage is a 2-way street...a give and take. it can't be all about either person involved. it's a co-operative endeavor. best of luck to you in getting everything sorted out.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Don't sell the car. You need to invest in a major drug company, find out what antipsycotics they make, and take her to the doctor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
no offense intended, and not to judge from a distance, but it sounds like you've got bigger problems than selling your vette, man. you haven't painted the best picture of this whole situation, and I think if I were in your shoes, I'd just send her on her way. It's not about the car. it's about the fact that she's trying to control you.....it's an unfortunate situation but it sounds to me if she's never going to be OK with you having a fun car you can enjoy and like, you're never going to be happy. marriage is a 2-way street...a give and take. it can't be all about either person involved. it's a co-operative endeavor. best of luck to you in getting everything sorted out.
I absolutely agree with what he said! There's no damn way all of that is happening just because "you bought a Corvette." I mean, that's just a ridiculously feeble excuse on her part for something else she's having problems with.
I feel for your situation, guess it's another way I'm made to realize how lucky I am with my wife. We always do our best to support each other even right down to our separate interests and hobbies. In fact, the reason I have my Vette is that she surprised me with it for Christmas in '05. And that was because she knew how bad I felt at getting rid of my last "fun car" (even though I never griped at her about it) and wanted me to be able to have fun again.
Anyway, good luck to you, but I'm not sure ANYTHING you could do is going to make her happy...

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Call 1-800-Dr. Phil quick before you sell your baby

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
First off you were wrong to buy the vette without her consent.But it was a mistake not to discuss it and I am sure you apologized for it a million times.I agree with the above that there is something else other than a car that would come to a divorce. I thought the same as you. I tried to stay in my marriage because of children.All it did was prolong the inevidiable.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts