Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and i are not very knowledgable about cars performance wise and how to install things. but i do have some people and shops around my area that can help. so next year we plan to buy a 1991 vette, new body style c4 but still with the l98. for a reason. theres a turbo kit i want only made for the l98. and i like the newer c4 look.

i would like to learn more about the c4 drivetrain and what it can handle.

parts for next summer:

from tpis.com

-afr cyl. heads
-396 or 383 cid rotating assembly
-if needed, fuel pressure regulators and pumps
-spark plug wires
-bosch spark plugs
-msd ignition
-high performance coil

from mid america

-cold air intake

from melrose

-full exhaust and headers.

thats about what i would like to do next year.

THEN 2 years from now

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/85-91 Corvette.htm

stage 2 kit.

is there anything else that i should know about during my research for this project? about how much power the 6 spd tranny can take and the rear end. etc. thanks!

~Tmac

·
Registered
914 Posts
Hi is your turbo kit a front mount "Under the hood" or a rear mount "under the gas tank? I wanted to do a rear mount turbo on my 1988 vette. I talked to Squires about a rear turbo " they have rear turbo kits for many cars " I found out that after you spend all that money for the turbo kit you will still need to replace the fuel injectors and have someone try to burn a chip to run everything. I was afraid that it would cost a ton of money to do and it's a crap shoot when it comes to the chip being correct for the setup. I would love to hear from someone that has a turbo on an L98 and running strong until then I am going to wait. Good Luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Thats some project:thumbsup:
Good luck and keep us posted with updates:cheers:
Welcome to DC :buhbye:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hoopty: that kit is an under the hood turbo, right behind the left wheel. theres pics and stuff on their site, the stage 2 kit is good for 700-750 rwhp:D , which is what i'm tryin to go for, lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
this may seem like an insignificant question, and the 91 l98 may be different than my 90, but in my car the battery is behind the left wheel.

where does it move to if you install that turbo?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm pro rear turbo

There are several very valid reason's to go with rear turbo's. The first is that with the removal of the spare, there is easy low cost access to the exhaust, and there is plenty of room to locate the intake air. The second consideration is underhood heat and having to move components around (battery)? The third is that the length of the tubing running forward acts as it's own intercooler. I would still use one but you won't need a huge expensive intercooler that is difficult to locate in the nose. The use of two smaller turbo's is also an advantage, one that spools up real fast and one that reacts to RPM. This way the entire powerband is covered with no lag. The heat is as far away as possible as is the wastegate noise. You are going to have to pay to have it tuned either way you go so just get ready! I think a cold air intake above the rear plate would look great and be very functional! (this is my eventual plan) You could also add side scoops behind the rear wheels or just tuck the air intake up underneath. The install you pictured scares me, I think you would melt things like the plastic master cylinder and stopping is the MOST important function of any car!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts