Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that my rear bearings are shot which is causing uneven wear on the passenger side rotor and some interesting noises. I have some new drilled and slotted rotors coming and will do a few other things:

Replace bearing/hub
Replace shocks
Replace all 4 rotors and brake pads
Lower and allign

Next weekend should be a busy weekend...

Right now its drivable, just crank the stereo or keep it in lower gears and listen to the mufflerless exhaust :)

·
Registered
990 Posts
sounds like a lot of work, doing this in your garage ?

·
Registered
509 Posts
ChiMan said:
It appears that my rear bearings are shot which is causing uneven wear on the passenger side rotor and some interesting noises. I have some new drilled and slotted rotors coming and will do a few other things:

Replace bearing/hub
Replace shocks
Replace all 4 rotors and brake pads
Lower and allign

Next weekend should be a busy weekend...

Right now its drivable, just crank the stereo or keep it in lower gears and listen to the mufflerless exhaust :)
If I finish my current projects I'll help you with it... I am hoping to be caught up by monday or tuesday.
-Rick

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've done brakes & lowering (rear) and it should be a mornings work. I would think shocks are a few hours of work.

However, the rear bearings look like loads of fun, I would think the better part of a day is involved. Be sure to note the orientation of parts as they come off and apart.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I got this done this weekend or should I say close to done...

Lowered the rear...very simple

Replaced 4 shocks...very simple

Replace the big rotors with the same except drilled and sloted, with new ceramic pads...simple

Changing the rear bearing...2 days of impact, heat, and finally a sawzaw...yes they are very comfortable after 18 years of staying on...

I was able to get 2 of the 3 Torx 55 bolts out after hours of work and beer, but the last one took cutting the "ear" off and using it as a bolt to remove the last one. What a pain!!! But she rides and looks great!

Decided to leave the drivers side rear bearing for another time after all that work on one.

·
Registered
509 Posts
ChiMan said:
Well, I got this done this weekend or should I say close to done...

Lowered the rear...very simple

Replaced 4 shocks...very simple

Replace the big rotors with the same except drilled and sloted, with new ceramic pads...simple

Changing the rear bearing...2 days of impact, heat, and finally a sawzaw...yes they are very comfortable after 18 years of staying on...

I was able to get 2 of the 3 Torx 55 bolts out after hours of work and beer, but the last one took cutting the "ear" off and using it as a bolt to remove the last one. What a pain!!! But she rides and looks great!

Decided to leave the drivers side rear bearing for another time after all that work on one.
I'm glad to hear that you got it all done.. Rust and Bust is the kind of **** I deal with everyday and it's not fun... Man I need to get into a dealer soon so I can work on some nice new cars..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts