Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my trip down to Key West, I made a stop in Melbourne, FL to visit Choppers Inc. Billy Lane was at a Bike show that day so, I missed out on meeting him but, I did talk to one of his staff members for about an hour.

When I was looking for the shop, I actually turned to early and ended up on the wrong side of the building. It was a turn in to his garage area and the bay door was partially open.

All I see was black and chrome... the rear of a early C3. Turns out Billy Lane is a HUGE Corvette guy. The C3 in his shop is a '69 Vette with a factory L-88! It was a project car his dad was working on because the previous owner could never get the BB to run right.

Billy's Dad never got it to run right either so Billy bought it off of him. Turns out one of the heads had a defect and the head never sealed right. Swapped heads and it's said to purr like a big ole angry cat.

I was also told he has a '65 Vette and had 3-4 other Vettes since he's had his drivers license.

Billy Lane is my favorite bike builder by far, and it's kick ass to find out he's a Vette guy too!!

When I get a chance, I'll post some pics of his shop. I did manage to leave without snapping any pics of his Vette. :(

I'll be stopping by there on my way home next summer, hopefully he's around and I can meet him. That would be WAY COOL! :partyon:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,746 Posts
Sounds like a great way to have spent a few hours. That would be really cool to have been there

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
if he's like Jessie,he's probably not around that often...off spending money..:thumbsup: you will run into him some day.maybe he has open parties at his shop like Jessie.i saw he had a killer party not to long ago,was in easyrider magazine.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
I have a customer that comes into my place, that claims to know and have worked with Billy. The guy does build motorcycles, but he's a little strange, so I don't know for sure if he's telling me the truth. :huh:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Billy lane is the most original builder around right now, in my opinion.
I love to meet characters like that. I've met Indian Larry at the Javits bike show, and also the Teutels at the same show, back when the were first getting popular.

My friend met Smokey Yunick down in Daytona during bike week back about 96. I'm still kicking myself for going drinking with some other friends that day. Arrgh!:(

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hawaii-5-lo said:
if he's like Jessie,he's probably not around that often...off spending money..:thumbsup: you will run into him some day.maybe he has open parties at his shop like Jessie.i saw he had a killer party not to long ago,was in easyrider magazine.
Actually, he was at a bike show in New Orleans. I don't think he has the money Jesse has... he doesn't have his own TV show. His shop is of decent size, nothing huge.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jersey jim said:
Billy lane is the most original builder around right now, in my opinion.
(
I agree, the Chopper he built for the second Biker Build-off was flat out BAD ASS!! To bad the bike was already sold, I really wanted to see it.

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
BubbleHead said:
I agree, the Chopper he built for the second Biker Build-off was flat out BAD ASS!! To bad the bike was already sold, I really wanted to see it.
The red one? Or the orange one?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The orange one was built for the 2nd build off, with the exhaust built into the fender. That's still my favorite bike... that gas tank he built for it flat out ROCKS!!!:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts